1 2 3 4
Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
8/14/22 9:55 p.m.

There's an OLD Forward Motion catalog in the car everything that's been highlighted I've found in/with the car. So I'm assuming this A568 (cable shifted Getreg designed and occasionally built 89+ Daytona or TIII car) has whatever the hell type of LSD a Shelby Sure-Grip was. I'll pull an axle and check. 

Same deal flywheel highlighted in the catalog. Need to pull trans and check out the clutch pedal effort is very normal could be a real TIII clutch. 

11" front brakes.  I forget if these come from a minivan or Daytona

Vented rear disc setup from a Daytona

Best I can tell these are one off certainly haven't seen them before and there was a legal pad in the car with dimensions and a drawing. 

Front suspension is pretty basic lots of spring on a strut not exactly up to the task. 

Rear suspension is GLHS Konis, 2dr L body springs, couple gussets in the beam and a huge sway bar. Found an uninstalled set of Polybushings beam bushings in the car so those will go in and a basic panhard bar needs fabricated

The turbo dodge people amongst you might think that's a funny looking compressor wheel for a TII Garrett and you'd be right. 409179-022 is the number embossed on the back a 50 trim, 8 blade T04E. This to my knowledge was one of the ways Forward Motion made their Enforcer series turbos back in the day. 

No funny business, nothing out of place, hell it all came from an ad in the classifieds of this forum. This all really was $500

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
8/21/22 7:30 p.m.

Got the rest of the teardown done today and again pleasantly surprised. Trans is a large spline a568 with a Quaife LSD. Turbo III clutch and undamaged selector assembly. 

Quick budget update

Car $500

Sold GLHS rear seat and door panels $75

Sold S60 intercooler $175

Sold (to myself admittedly but it's a fair price) Mopar Performance GLHS logic module $125

Purchased TII short block $500

Paint and detailing supplies $118.67

Gasket set, timing set, tune up parts, filters etc $146.76 

FMV set of old RC engineering 550cc injectors $100

Amazon's finest rolls of 3/8 steel 3/8 nylon tubing and an assortment of fittings $72.12

Napa gold GM fuel filter $24.99 

Aem 340 fuel pump $119.99 

Used AEM wideband $100

Used intercooler, pipes, and Chinese bov $65

$1252.54 in already 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
9/3/22 7:55 a.m.

Have a few uninterrupted days to work on the GLH hoping to have all the chassis work done before the end of the weekend.

Getting started on the rear beam and panhard mount now. 

Picked this up for a song as well

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
9/9/22 6:34 p.m.

Straightened and reinforced K frame

Beginnings of the front suspension. 

In the interest of time rather than building control arms I cut the ball joint bores off the stock arms and welded some box tube with rod ends in place. I'll have to turn a stud to move the knuckle up about 1.6" from stock. Bore the tie rod bores to 5/8" and make some m14x1.5 - 5/8 adapter sleeves to flip the tie rods. Old neon Koni sports here as well

Rear suspension is done with the panhard bar and dropped pivots. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/25/23 7:33 p.m.

Guess I never did this... 

$2000 challenge in a sentence... A weekend spent with the coolest people on earth exactly what I needed. A weekend spent wrenching and racing on your ex girlfriend's car, exactly the opposite of what I needed. 

This thing is like perfect for my purposes, that said it's genuinely hard for me to look at in the garage so if anybody wants an STX setup numbers matching, non rusty GSR I'm open to offers. 

We got to Gainesville Thursday night, left PA around 4am drove the bus more or less straight through

Friday morning we headed out to the parking lot armed with what we had and what we found for sale near by.

15x8s with staggered RT660s

Big ol' rear bar 24mm $90

Chinese rear subframe reinforcement kit.

Spc camber arm.

Chinese front camber adjusters

Harnesses

Front sway bar bushings

Spark plugs

Cloth RS seats.

12hr 41min after we started (avoid Chinese front camber adjusters there was tape grinder to truck bumper, spin part in drill, add JB weld machining involved) a hotter than probably cool lap of the hotel Cul de sac suggested we were onto something. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/25/23 7:47 p.m.

Talk about an interesting grid, realizing we've brought a weed and Victoria Secret smelling knife to a gunfight.

Having not done an autocross lap in nearly two years this was the perfect bicycle to hop on, neutral, great brakes, tons of grip, and it just begged to get on the power sooner. 

Dave took a couple runs in it before we turned the keys over to Alan McCrispin who promptly kicked our asses without really trying. Putting up a 49.5 on the last run. 

Proud papa moment for sure. 

Drags were largely uneventful. Big burnout and lots of abuse got us to a 15.5, the shutdown area was damp it danced around every time I came off the gas. Parked it for the night. Nearly 300,000mi on a lower than stock compression B18c1 I did not expect drag racing to be it's thing that said I did expect a little quicker. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/25/23 8:08 p.m.

Concours was largely uneventful we stacked the parts removed or swapped on a CR-V picnic table and made a rudimentary sign detailing the effort and performance. Judges this go around got the point of the car and Alan said a series of kind things about the way it drove and how it just worked. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/25/23 8:11 p.m.

All that said it's time to get to work. Spent last weekend liberating a dual pivot Daytona K frame and control arms. Omni back in the shop this weekend. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/23/23 11:39 a.m.

Out with the old. Will probably go into my Shelby Lancer 

Early "infinite spring rate" K frame and control arms in comparison to the "dual pivot" Daytona/Lancer/Van K frame. On the early K frame/control arm combo there's a big hockey puck shaped bushing that is compressed as the suspension travels adding tons of spring rate. 

Fitting the Daytona K frame in an Omni requires some surgery, removing about 1" from the center and rebuilding the passenger side forward mount to the chassis. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/23/23 2:13 p.m.

Tubes in place and fit to chassis. 

Now onto the fun part

Dumpster engine!!! It's a 2.0 neon 10.5:1 forged pistons, forged rods, good valvetrain, I robbed the big cams years ago so it's getting some rigged up 420a cams. Machine shop/customer/somebody spec'd out .010 over rod bearings and something else got used pounded all the bearings out on the first heat cycle. A little freebuilding and we should be good to go. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/24/23 9:47 a.m.

If I recall this group has a fondness for box flares... If you haven't heard some XS class autox people talked the Vitour tire company into making a 285/35R15 200tw tire. I have a set on the way. This is a 15x11 3 1/2" backspace wheel for a Jeep, how does one fit Jeep wheels on an Omni? Well second gen Caravan hubs are the beginning. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NZPAECqrNf0qoExbCzacwBp0b0h4aevp7TKyXzUg9iyrG8VLmzPtBwlo78rmFTmn