1 2 3 ... 6
birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/29/22 12:05 a.m.

In case you missed it, Revolution Racing League announced their arrival and then disbanded before the first race. Much like me in my younger years, they showed a lot of promise, pulled some (allegedly) sketchy E36 M3 and left many people disappointed. 

But, despite the lingering dismay of a new racing league folding, their thread on here helped us form a new GRM centric PNW amateur endurance racing team (hitherto unnamed). A half hearted inquiry here, a handful of responses and one suddenly serious conversation later, we found ourselves with a centralized HQ shop, some people to wrench, some drivers, tow rigs, project engineers, and a designated sticker applicator. 

Now all we need is a car! 

Luckily, I have too much time on my hands and found success in not only getting the requisite information, but working out an agreeable price for this absolute gem!

And in true GRM fashion, we dont officially own the vehicle yet, though we have put a deposit down for him to hold it until we can work out the logistics of a Reno, NV to Tacoma, WA run. 

birdmayne
3/29/22 12:34 a.m.

The car was previously a contender in Lucky Dog, Champ car and a few other series. It was and will be powered by a Honda J30 V6 mated to a T5 transmission. A combination of Honda and Nissan clutch and flywheel parts with some machined adapters make the magic happen. 

We can post applicable specs later, but suffice it to say that our on track failures will not be because the car isn't competitive. 

Pics of car and parts car and spares.

birdmayne
3/29/22 12:40 a.m.

This may come as a surprise, but I'm a really big S30 chassis fan. So when this opportunity revealed itself I dove in head first. 

With my current 240Z, I have one of my bucket list builds underway. The 280Z racecar checks another bucket list item for me, a full berkeleying racecar Z. I have long dreamt of owning a tasteful 240Z restomod and a track car, so this is like a dream come true.

I'm thankful for my teammates and being afforded the chance to participate in this venture. 

Okay, back on task. The real challenge now is scheduling and accomplishing a two truck, two trailer trek to Nevada and back in the near future. Once that's completed, we need to take stock of inventory of parts and spares, find a J30 or two (spares are good) and a T5 trans. We are hopeful to attend a few events this year, so the clock is ticking. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/29/22 2:50 a.m.
birdmayne said:

...this absolute gem!

In all fairness, it's obviously coming 'some assembly required' compared to that first photo... But the price was also right. laugh

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/29/22 6:05 a.m.

Super cool! I'm looking forward to following along. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/29/22 10:21 a.m.

Nice yes

ian sane
ian sane GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/29/22 10:38 a.m.

Which t5 is the adapter setup for?

birdmayne
3/29/22 10:45 a.m.

In reply to ian sane :

Ferd. He ran a Mustang unit previously. 

ian sane
3/29/22 10:53 a.m.

Isn't there multiple? It's obviously been too long since I worked on the Ve30 because for some reason I think the 6 cylinder one was different. Maybe that's just the GM stuff. I think the t5 I have it set up for a 6. Maybe that's just input shaft difference. I need a better memory.

I was telling Jeremy that I'm frickin antsy to get eyes on this thing!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/22 10:56 a.m.

I'm concerned about the exhaust packaging. Otherwise looks good.

ian sane
3/29/22 11:12 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

As in, what headers/manifolds will be used? :shrug: It ran before so we'll probably mimic a lot of what was done previously.

MaxC
MaxC Reader
3/29/22 11:35 a.m.

Congratulations! It's exciting getting a new team in the PNW.  I believe I raced with this car at my first LDRL race in 2017 @PIR.  It was fast then, and just extremely cool. 

I may have spoken to one of your teammates already & probably have stated it before, but feel free to reach out. We're 3 race weekends in since starting a new team. Maybe I can be of some assistance with advice/questions/BS'ing about the car/starting a team/etc. 

And of course, keep the forum posted about your teams progress!

3/29/22 11:37 a.m.

In reply to ian sane :

just me being a smart-ass

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/22 11:51 a.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Oh man, you guys did well! It sucks that RRL folded, but LDRL, SCCA, and Cascade Sports Car Club all host endurance racing events up here so you have a lot of options. Might be able to run SOVREN vintage races too!

birdmayne
3/29/22 11:56 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to birdmayne :

Oh man, you guys did well! It sucks that RRL folded, but LDRL, SCCA, and Cascade Sports Car Club all host endurance racing events up here so you have a lot of options. Might be able to run SOVREN vintage races too!

Our current plan is to entire as many events as possible. Enduro races, sprint races, autoX, lapping days, illegal street races, cannonball type rallys, whatever. 

birdmayne
3/29/22 11:57 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ian sane :

You don't like the heated seat design? Keeps your buns warm

ian sane
3/29/22 11:58 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I guess if I looked closer the joke would be obvious. Ha.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/29/22 12:05 p.m.
birdmayne said:

...illegal street races... 

Nothing says 'sleeper' like a caged racecar on street tires cranking out a whopping 200hp. laugh

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
3/29/22 12:41 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ian sane :

My initial thoughts as well, how is that race legal... Then had another look and realised it is more of a storage idea

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/29/22 12:46 p.m.
ian sane said:

Isn't there multiple? It's obviously been too long since I worked on the Ve30 because for some reason I think the 6 cylinder one was different. Maybe that's just the GM stuff. I think the t5 I have it set up for a 6. Maybe that's just input shaft difference. I need a better memory.

I was telling Jeremy that I'm frickin antsy to get eyes on this thing!

http://www.pro-forceperformance.com/t-5_interchange.htm

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/30/22 2:26 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

We should mount a passenger seat so we can go to Seattle and ruin their TSD rallys.

3/30/22 3:13 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to birdmayne :

It sucks that RRL folded

Can't tell if serious, given your E36 M3ting all over them in the locked thread.

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/30/22 3:32 p.m.

That dashboard setup is giving me ideas for when I pull the stock dash out of my race car.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/30/22 3:54 p.m.
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) said:

That dashboard setup is giving me ideas for when I pull the stock dash out of my race car.

Same! Its pretty simple and elegant. So is tge door bar.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/30/22 4:02 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Simplicity is the mark of good design.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9WbobjauRYU3oGv7JUKZz0HLDnSkr9HuQIUx08TXOuLcywa88NhLzLgYW6Cvuhnh