1 2 3 ... 7
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/13/11 9:31 a.m.

I am considering a 2011 Hyundai Elantra for work usage.

I drive at least 1000 miles a week, it gets up to 40 mpg EPA.

Manual trans, best rear legroom in class (is important)

What is the word on power, drivetrain strength, etc

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/11 9:35 a.m.

Que Bobzilla in 3...2...1...

I haven't driven one, but the paper specs certainly look good. They are very sharp looking in real life as well, nice design.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/11 9:54 a.m.

friend of mine just bought one 2 weeks ago. it is a VERY nice car

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/13/11 10:01 a.m.

haven't driven itpersonally. There's about 2 dozen new members on the Elanra forums with them already. No complaints yet. With these, 40mpg will be attained in the 60-70mph range, ~33-38mpg in the 75-80mph range. THe first 1500 miles you will be lucky to see those figures, but after teh initial break in the mileage keeps climbing.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
4/13/11 10:05 a.m.

The Elantra can be spec'ed out to be a really nice car. "Appliance" doesn't really do it justice.

failboat
failboat Reader
4/13/11 10:06 a.m.

fwiw, Hooniverse actually reported they liked the 6 speed auto better than the 6 speed manual.

http://hooniverse.com/2010/12/07/2011-hyundai-elantra/

Having seen a couple in real life, IMO they look much better in darker colors.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/13/11 10:10 a.m.

I liked the Optima auto over the manual personally.

mw
mw HalfDork
4/13/11 1:54 p.m.

While we are on the subject of Hyundai Appliances, I was considering a new sonota for the wife. It would be the base model with the 6 speed manual. Any input?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/13/11 2:00 p.m.

honestly, the 6spd-auto is the better appliance.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/13/11 2:36 p.m.

Since I had to rush that last one.... here's why I thkn the new auto is better: The manual shifter is floppy and unsatisfying. The clutch is ok, but nothing to write home about. Add in the extra work and it's no longer a "fun" experience. These cars are fantastic distance cruisers. They eat up miles like no one's business.

IMO, the Sonata in base trims is a little softer, more like the Hyundai suyspensions of old where the new Optima (same chassis) feels tons better. IMO, the new entry level Optima needs a tire change so something not sucky and the car is done.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/11 2:50 p.m.

if the new elantra is like hyundai's from the past ten years.. it will go like any other Honda or toyota... forever on minimal maintance. my 99 Tiburon went 130,000ish miles before it planted itself in a ditch trying to save my life from an inattentive drive who pulled out in front of me without looking.

car had ZERO problems when it died.. and it still got me home 20 some miles with a punctured radiator

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/13/11 3:06 p.m.

From ~99-up the quality just kept going through the roof. WE have almost 350k on two right now.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/11 3:21 p.m.

FWIW buy an extra steel wheel and full sized spare tire... they are NOT available with ah spare as of yet.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/13/11 4:39 p.m.

Apparently these are in demand, local dealer has not even seen the manual yet, who would have thought.

Would like to try the 2011 in a stick at least.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
4/14/11 6:28 a.m.

The wifey got a 2011 Sonata Limited a few months back. It's no Audi, but gets down the highway in stylish and comfortable fashion. It really looks sharp and is fitted with virtually every gadget known to modern man. She's getting 30 mpg in mixed driving, which is just a tad better than the Mazda 3 she was driving. All in all, a remarkable automobile, especially when you factor in the price.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/14/11 7:48 a.m.

^ Been hearing that when driven "right" high 30's on the highway are not uncommon. Not bad for a full size, non-hybrid gasoline car!

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
4/14/11 8:43 a.m.

Just had one as a rental and I really liked it. I did a 250 mile all hwy trip and got 40mpg, doing mostly 70-75. Ergonomically, it fits me perfectly.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
4/14/11 9:04 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: 2011 Hyundai Elantra... best rear legroom in class (is important)

Legroom on the Elantra gets good marks but what about headroom?
The roofline seems to swoop down pretty quickly.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/14/11 8:13 p.m.

Test drove the manual today. It was a manual and the shifter felt reasonable, in gear there was moderate slop but gear selection was easy and precise. it's no Porsche but that is why it said Hyundai on the trunk. I had trouble doing any heel and toe shifting as the pedals seem to be widely spaced however I think a little practice would sort that issue out. Not having an anxious salesman beside me would have made it easier to play with the pedals...

The engine makes an adequate 150hp and seemed responsive, the AC definitely affected the response though.

The trunk is actually really large inside, rear room is very decent even headroom.

The manual is a base model and had few extras but with iPod hookup, AC and CC I would be happy.

If they can meet my repayment demands I might just do this. Doubles the MPG of my Town Car and if I come out ahead each month after the payments I would be stupid not to. (I do use a full tank a day for work)

John Brown
4/14/11 8:19 p.m.

We refer to them as "One and a half dead body trunks" the Sonata has a two and a half dead body trunk" where the Genesis sedan has a "three dead body trunk" but this is all skewed because of the Korean baseline.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/14/11 8:23 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: 2011 Hyundai Elantra... best rear legroom in class (is important)
Legroom on the Elantra gets good marks but what about headroom? The roofline seems to swoop down pretty quickly.

Headroom is the same 40" front and rear.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
4/14/11 8:29 p.m.

I have a '11 Elantra-Touring SE 5M. It is a very enjoyable car--the suspension is much stiffer than the 'old' sedan, not sure how it compares to the new style. OE tires suck, but that is an easy fix. 2.0 is adequate power/torque and has a fairly nice growl when revved. Brakes are fantastic, and interior has plenty of room for my 6'6" frame and a kid in a booster seat behind me...and good cargo even with seats up. Huge with seats down. Heated leather, moonroof, B&M shifter, Sirius etc. was under $20K. Mixed driving in winter is about 28mpg.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/14/11 8:44 p.m.

Who did you deal with, I'm not getting any good deals on this one.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
4/14/11 9:21 p.m.

Arrow Hyundai in Milwaukee--2nd vehicle from them. Good dealer.

John Brown
4/14/11 9:22 p.m.

Remind him the Touring is the wagon.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WGB8Qw9vPAqZkzIeLTdZtoqE5bcafo86DoaEhW983Arf5mBwbZ3ZB1hetvbvkYbh