1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
2/21/12 6:15 a.m.

Hyundai seems to be on a roll. What about this later this summer?

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/future-cars/2013/veloster/index.aspx

Not what the OP is looking for but looks interesting.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
2/21/12 7:42 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Merc wrote: I remember in '98, I was consider buying a Tiburon and went for a test drive. The car felt basically the same as my older Civic, except newer and with a lot less headroom. The salesperson let me put it through its paces and afterwards I noticed there was white smoke coming out from the vents. I asked him, "what the hell it that?!" He replied "Oh that's normal." Well if smoke normally comes of the vents of cars, I think we'd all have some sort of cronic lung issue.
Actually, it was normal for Hyundais.. they had some GREAT airconditioning units that would spit fog at you on a hunid day

Yep, both of mine do that when you switch from vent to AC. The Accent will freeze you out in a matter of minutes.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
2/22/12 8:04 p.m.

Anyone see the Elantra coupe yet? I like it... basically the exact same as the 4 door, just minus 2 doors. In fact, they're saying the interior room is actually the same. Pic:

And I'm really really digging the 5 door:

I think I'll be checking 'em out again this year, especially if/when we get the turbo Elantra with 1.6L turbo 204hp motor. Yeah, I'd like that... 5 door GT with 1.6 turbo, under $20k.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/12 8:06 p.m.

I think I like the looks of that coupe' better than that of the genesis coupe'

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/22/12 8:50 p.m.

MMMMMMM..... turbo

mad_machine
2/22/12 9:13 p.m.

Hyundai is definatly on a design and engineering roll. Can't say they are behind the times anymore

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
2/22/12 9:23 p.m.

I said this when I first saw the new Elantra design a couple years ago... Hyundai has figured out what a lot of car companies that are much more established have yet to figure out: it costs about the same to build a good looking car as it does to build an ugly one, so why not build a good looking one.

mad_machine
2/22/12 9:38 p.m.

actually.. it might be cheaper to build a good looking car if you hire some young designer who is not looking too caught up in the latest "trends" in auto and home design

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
4/17/12 7:10 p.m.

12 months today, 59,668 miles to date, still no problems to report and still getting a solid 40mpg.

Winner

Photobucket

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/27/12 11:09 a.m.

New title, 2011 Hyundai Alantra

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
8/17/12 7:25 p.m.

75,000 mile update.

This car is rock solid, still averages 40mpg and has yet to have anything fail, just oil changes and fuel

That is all

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
8/18/12 9:35 a.m.

That is awesome. Makes me want to go get one.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/31/12 10:16 p.m.

Nice.

I really like these.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
10/13/12 3:44 p.m.

Picked up another one yesterday, my wife now has a matching black Limited, auto, heated seats, leather, sunroof, bluetooth etc. etc. etc.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A happy wife is a very good thing.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/4/12 7:29 p.m.

Damn Koreans, only 90K and the damn spark plugs were starting to wear, also changed the cabin filter and added a K&N air filter.

Still soldiers along like new, even the brake pads are like new still.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
12/4/12 9:27 p.m.

You should get something that lasts!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/12 10:12 p.m.

Any word on how much you're getting back for the gas mileage thing? I imagine you have the highest-mileage one in the country!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/9/12 12:41 p.m.

About $350 from their online website.

Pics of parts removed in 90K

photo today001.jpg

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/4/13 4:25 p.m.

Since April 16, 2011 this has happened, and now I have to deal with all the problems myself.

Hang on a minute, there haven't been any.

photo Daytona242013137_zps10a7ba50.jpg

At Daytona beach last weekend

photo Daytona242013080_zpsc8cb7bdf.jpg

At the GRM tent

photo Daytona242013002_zpsd1556937.jpg

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/5/13 8:50 a.m.

Gotta love how crappy those cars are.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/15/13 7:00 a.m.

The Elantra got run off the road by an old lady in a brand new HHR the other day, I was in the right lane of 2 East lanes in Market St, Lima, the HHR was in the left lane, when she decided to be where I was.

Moved over into my lane with no indicator signal, no attempt to look and no hesitation.

I braked hard and steering away from her, but she kept coming and forced me onto the kerb.

I got out an inspected the rim and tire, which were all OK.

I then advised the lady, after observing the disabled placard in the windshield, that she should consider handing her license over if she can't look over her shoulder or into her mirrors prior to changing lanes and that the indicator might have been a nice item to include on her new car.

Tested the alignment on the car, out of town shortly after the incident . The car has survived this minor incident without a blemish to its character.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/15/13 12:46 p.m.

Glad everything is OK.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
2/15/13 1:36 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: aussie, i'm glad to hear the car is working out so well for you. before the miles pile up too far, please find out if that engine is interference or not. i was looking at an older model to flip, "needs timing belt". did some research and found lots of stories of destroyed pistons.
Hyundai's using timing chains on all the new engines now with the exception of the Touring.

I bought a 2011 Elantra touring . Does this have the interference motor?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/15/13 1:42 p.m.

Yes, all Hyundai T-belt engines are interference.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
2/15/13 2:25 p.m.

Recommended service interval?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jixCYbgd3FGlCg3TduSjMOKTCAQtZuLldFAnqp6FPL0ilV2TwYtWiprksNtlSHC5