1 2
dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/21 8:08 p.m.

So when I started my "hobby" business, the idea is to buy more toys and have fun but not make it something where I have to depend upon it for income. So far so good, I keep buying plenty of fun stuff and will be building a new shop this fall. So I started a wedge collection  but something was missing.

You guessed it, a German car! So when hobiercr posted about a $1,500 914 close to my house, I had to go see it. Turns out it was quite a steal, the guy had had it in his mom's garage since 1993 and had been collecting parts to put it back together, but got hurt and just needed it gone. It is as rust free as you will find for a 914, had a ton of spare parts and the best part is a GEX 2.0 rebuilt engine with 0 miles and a set of Dellorto 36 DRLA carbs.

I picked it up on Friday and took it to my body guy on Saturday. I'll get it painted in the original Alaska Blue Metallic and put it back together. Should be another fun car to add to the fleet.

johndej
johndej Dork
8/3/21 8:11 p.m.

Lol, glad no one had to tell you to buy that directly, you've just been here long enough to know intrinsically that you had to. cheeky

Edit... Totally missed the for sale thread on here!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/21 8:28 p.m.

Awesome! Mid engine shootout here we come

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/3/21 8:34 p.m.

You stole that. Congrats. Look forward to the build. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/3/21 8:35 p.m.

Nice collection.

Please go through that engine before you use it.  Gex used to have a reputation, and it was not good.   I personally do not have any experience with them.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/21 9:09 p.m.

Gonna be a nice addition to the collection 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
8/3/21 10:09 p.m.

please take the GEX motor apart and inspect it ,

probably fine   but lots of expensive parts inside ,  and you probably want to blueprint it more than a production rebuilt,

looks like a great deal

oops ,looks like some else feels the same,,,,,,

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/16/21 7:03 p.m.

Well,  I have taken all of your advice on the GEX engine and found a suitable replacement. I think this will solve all my problems (or create new ones). I will have to go through it, but apparently was a "spare" for some guy's 911. Compression and leakdown tests out good, 99% complete, 1973 911 S 2.7 with Webers. Should get it in a few weeks as it will be shipping from Nebraska. Guy was going to put it in his 912, but decided to keep the stock 912 engine.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/21 7:07 p.m.

Three plugs per bank?  That is a suitable replacement.

How much did that set you back?  Last time I looked at one it was $1500-2000ish.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/16/21 7:14 p.m.

Yes, I'll sell off the GEX engine and two sets of stainless steel heat exchangers and the brand new exhaust and then need to source the 914-6 pieces needed, but this version of the 911 engine apparently bolts to the 914 transmission with the stock flywheel and clutch, so good to go there. Need the sheet metal, oil tank and hoses as this is a dry sump engine, headers and exhaust. I'll also be looking to replace the front suspension and hubs with 5 lug and the larger brakes and sell off the wheels for 5 lug Fuch wheels..... Guess the plans for this build have esculated.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/21 7:23 p.m.

1973 911S engine? Yeah, that's suitable. 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/16/21 8:02 p.m.

Well, that esculated...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/21 8:37 p.m.

My gosh.....  what a find!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/17/21 1:20 p.m.

This changes the build direction to be sure. So rather than just reassembling and using the parts that came with the car,  I'll sell them off and take this project to the next level. I will restore the car back to the original color (Alaska Blue Metallic), install the GT steel fender flairs and rocker extensions and fit 7 inch and 8 inch Fuchs. This car from BAT will be my inspiration for the build, as it is a 914-4 but built into a 914-6 clone. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-53/

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/21 3:10 p.m.

Alaska Blue Metallic is one of my favorite 914 colors.

How much for the GEX engine?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/21 4:01 p.m.

Oh boy. I like the direction this turned 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/21 4:55 p.m.

Sweet!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/17/21 4:55 p.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

I'll have to think about it, depends upon what all you need. Just the rebuilt long block 2.0 or with the Dellortos? Send me an email to v8triumph at the google and we can discuss it. I also have a brand new set of stainless steel heat exchangers as well as a used set for a 2.0.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/17/21 5:00 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Oh boy. I like the direction this turned 

Same here, I debated it back and forth, but a 914-6 has always been a dream car and building one is relatively easy if you can source a 911 engine for a reasonable cost. I ordered some books including Bruce Anderson's book on 911 performance to get up to speed on these motors. It helps that I got the 914 so cheap, so leaves more budget for all the expensive stuff. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/17/21 5:01 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

Sweet!

I did get really lucky indeed!

Sidewayze
Sidewayze Reader
8/17/21 7:12 p.m.

I'm just going to leave this here....

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/18/21 8:38 a.m.

You're going to have to put on the wheel arch flares!!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/18/21 11:45 a.m.

Agreed, looks like the kit for the steel arches and fiberglass rockers will be part of the package. I don't care for the 916 look, so will keep the early chrome bumpers front and rear but need to figure out a front spoiler as I'll be using a front mounted oil cooler for this 911 powered 914!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/20/21 3:31 p.m.

Been talking to the previous owner of the 911S motor. Turns out he is a retired engineer. He is building a crate to protect the engine on the pallet and creating brackets to bolt the engine front and rear to the pallet and then a structure to protect the carbs during transit. Can't wait to talk with him more on the engine, looks like all I have to do is convert it to the later Carerra chain tensioners and do a basic check and it will be ready to bolt to the transmission and mount in the car. 

Meanwhile, I have been looking at purchasing an entire 911 front and rear suspension, steering, aluminum crossmember, brakes, etc from a 1981 911 SC. All the good parts to upgrade the brakes and go to 5 lugs for a proper set of Fuchs.  Also talking to EvilWerks about getting one of the two transmissions rebuilt, so once the body work is done, I'll have all the parts to put this thing back together. Parts are not cheap for these cars, but since you can also sell what you are not using, so far the math is in my favor smiley

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/20/21 5:11 p.m.

Outstanding! 

Also, even being a tribute car, (or outlaw, if you prefer), the finished product will be valuable, and likely to appreciate quite a bit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
koggFL0rNrXYjyEu5ghdoo6gcBatLKtZGCfuUWi5GAKlTAk5orWJTOveGLO7jyfE