1 2
Adam911
Adam911 New Reader
7/31/22 8:36 a.m.

This place is fairly advanced in terms of info and projects/garages. Being a fan of french cars without being french at the same time puts me in a weird place lol. In any case, i would like to discuss any and every topic regarding these, possible aftermarket shops and if anyone is willing to share their french car project pics i would really love to see it :)

question for mods, can i leave a link to a discord server that is just about, and for, french cars enthusiasts (no buying or selling anything etc)?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/22 9:02 a.m.

My first manual drive was a renault fuego and I have a Panhard based racecar

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
7/31/22 9:54 a.m.

Top of my "If I win the lottery" list is a 205 T16.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/22 10:37 a.m.

I have owned cars from every major manufacturing country except France. I really want a French car to round out my collection. I'd love an Alpine, but I'd settle for a Citroën DS.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
7/31/22 12:59 p.m.

4CV. Was my high school car ,  I had a nice 1963 2CV a couple years ago , 

Always wanted a A110 Alpine !

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/31/22 1:04 p.m.

The easy answer for me after working on Peugeots for a while is "non!"

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/31/22 2:30 p.m.

No.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/22 2:50 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Me too, old or new. If I only fit into one...

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/22 3:33 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

x2, but an SM

Hotlinked for your pleasure

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/22 3:36 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

106 GTi here.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/22 3:40 p.m.

I have a Panhard Dyna Z that is preparing to be violated in some way.   I also know a guy with a 400+ WHP K20 swapped Renault Alliance GTA.   

Adam911
Adam911 New Reader
7/31/22 4:08 p.m.
Patrick said:

My first manual drive was a renault fuego and I have a Panhard based racecar

I legit had to google that model, actually a really good looking car for its era, but panhard, now that i have to see pics of lol

Adam911
Adam911 New Reader
7/31/22 4:09 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

Truly a lottery win, i wish they made more of those :(

Adam911
Adam911 New Reader
7/31/22 4:10 p.m.
Javelin said:

I have owned cars from every major manufacturing country except France. I really want a French car to round out my collection. I'd love an Alpine, but I'd settle for a Citroën DS.

What stopped you from having a french car? A DS is like the ultimate flex-mobile, truly a retro luxury.

Adam911
Adam911 New Reader
7/31/22 4:11 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

4CV. Was my high school car ,  I had a nice 1963 2CV a couple years ago , 

There is a new alpine now that closely resembles the oldie so we got that going for now :D

Adam911
Adam911 New Reader
7/31/22 4:12 p.m.
ShawnG said:

No.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

why thought? :(

Adam911
Adam911 New Reader
7/31/22 4:14 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
matthewmcl said:

106 GTi here.

106's are skyrocketing in demand liek crazy

btw sorry for the replies like this, still trying to figure out how to mass quote/reply on this site :D

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/31/22 4:53 p.m.
Adam911 said:
ShawnG said:

No.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

why thought? :(

Ever try to replace an oil filter on a 505 where you have to move the alternator out of the way to get to it? That's enough for me. Yes they drive nicely, but working on them was never a joy. Even the 405 had it's issues.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/22 5:08 p.m.
Adam911 said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
matthewmcl said:

106 GTi here.

106's are skyrocketing in demand liek crazy

btw sorry for the replies like this, still trying to figure out how to mass quote/reply on this site :D

Oh that's easy, you can't! smiley  You would have to start a new post, copy the quote and your reply, cancel the post, and edit it into the other one.  Huge pain.

Sad to hear about the 106s, but understandable.  They were built to be disposable, so the pool of cars gets smaller every day.

I misspoke before, it wasn't the GTi that catches my fancy, it is the Rallye.  Like a 60s musclecar only small.  No options, no trim, no fancy wheels, just a stripped down model built for performance.  Probably the 1.6 is a better car but the 1.3 sounds like it is crazy fun.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/31/22 6:08 p.m.

I love the look of a Citroën SM but I'd never want to work on one.

Other than that, there are no post war French cars that are remotely attractive.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
7/31/22 6:25 p.m.

My first car was a Renault Dauphine.  Worst car ever.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/31/22 6:31 p.m.

Bugatti is French wasn't it?  

acheron64
acheron64 New Reader
7/31/22 6:49 p.m.

As an apprentice motor mechanic in the 90's worked in a small shop run by a factory trained mechanic Peugeot 403, 404, 504, 604 & 505 all the iconic chassis. Renault 8, 10, 12, 16, Fuego. An era where the engineering was distinctive not generic. Around these parts 70's Holdens and Fords had drum brakes live axles and terminal understeer. Contrast that with an R16 with its unique asymmetric chassis lively 4cyl engine 4 speed box, not 3 on a tree. R16 where an engaging and fun drive, the R12 was near on indestructible cheapness. However I really miss my '76 504 even if it was lime green. It was set up as a navigational event rally car. Simple thing to work on, all Peugeot parts box approach. 604 lower arms gave it 1.5 degrees negative camber and 178mm extra track. The 505 donated a faster manual rack and alloy sump. Setup for liftoff oversteer it would hold a line from apex to exit with delightful precision. Later large port head with mild cam and 32/36 weber filled the gearing hole between 2 and 3 with all of 5500 rpm :) while enabling it sit all day long at 160kmh with that delightful french plushness only very very long springs can give.

:) D

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/31/22 6:52 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

The man was Italian, and the factory was in Alsace, so you can't credit the Bugatti brand with any "nationality". 

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
7/31/22 7:11 p.m.

I tried to find a nice Peugeot 505 Turbo once, but gave up...there weren't any decent cars for sane prices within 500 miles. 

I've never driven a French car, although I do own a '69 Rover 2000TC, which was sort of an English take on the Citroen DS. (All body panels bolt on to a central stressed floorpan/hull, soft, super long travel suspension. etc..) You can see the influence the most in the roofline. The original nose on the early prototypes was much more DS like, but management scuppered it. 

(not my actual car.) 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cQ4a7ZLsIP1y407LxItcDBe7XI4PZKzEtMZbmOOPEZ5JFc8z2ulohufUukdSz1nq