1 2
irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/18/22 11:12 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Is the quarantine build sticker your own creation? That's awesome!

Nah, found it online someplace. Or maybe someone on a forum was selling them or something. I don't really remember

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/22 9:06 a.m.
Wayslow said:

In reply to Carl Heideman :

So the purists will hate me but I installed a Suzuki 1.6l 8v engine with a Samurai transmission and transfer case. 

I'm a huge Suzuki fan. Had a Tracker, Metro, and finally, a Swift GTi. Loved all of them. I, too would enjoy pics of your swap, if you are so inclined.

The aluminum block and trans should be a nice weight savings, too. Nicely done.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
3/19/22 4:20 p.m.

Pictures as requested.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
3/19/22 4:21 p.m.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
3/19/22 4:22 p.m.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
3/19/22 4:24 p.m.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
3/19/22 4:47 p.m.

This is the parking brake on the back of the transfer case. Since the original Willys drum brake wouldn't work I used a disc and mechanical caliper from a SkiDoo snowmobile. It works with the stock cable and umbrella pull handle.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
3/19/22 4:54 p.m.

Last picture. This shows the only real change that you can see with the hood closed. There's only two gearshift levers rather than three. Still has a high and low speed transfer case. The bonus is a 5 speed transmission rather than the stock three speed.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/22 5:21 p.m.

That is way cool! Is that a motorcycle carburetor? It would kind of make sense.

Again, I see the Samurai as the spiritual successor to the flat fender jeep. Great swap. Its like a miata driveline in a MGB. Perfect.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
3/19/22 5:59 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

It's a CV 40 carburetor. The intake is from a Samurai and the CV40 is a popular upgrade in that crowd.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
3/19/22 7:30 p.m.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. 

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
3/19/22 10:51 p.m.

Please understand that my Jeep is the product of a simple backyard shop rebuild. I don't have the skills or resources that are at your fingertips. I amazed at the skill your friend possesses to patina the new parts to make them look like they belong.

We didn't start with a perfectly preserved Jeep.  Much of the original chassis had been hacked to install the 289 and C4. The round front cross member  had been removed from my Jeep, we sourced a replacement from a friends parts chassis and welded it in place.  All work was performed with an eye towards eventually returning this car to it's original configuration. I should've made this clear from the outset.

Edit: I reread this post this morning and it didn't come off the way I intended.  I posted my build on a Jeep forum and it got completely torn apart. I realize no one on this board is judging me for doing a drivetrain swap or for using the wrong material on the seats or for using non original instruments etc. GRM are my kind of people. 

octavious
octavious Dork
5/27/22 2:54 p.m.

Is there a build thread?

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/27/22 4:13 p.m.

We all live in the projects.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JVi3AgOkEUyBEjjn4RQlctSPPO9rXBKCs0stjd6QUFX626gq4Jf1YFxn7gS5dVT9