1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29
wawazat
wawazat Dork
11/21/21 5:00 p.m.

Starter mounted and torqued.  I'll reconnect power then wrap the heat shield again

wawazat
wawazat Dork
11/21/21 5:01 p.m.

For those of you playing at home I  added a washer beneath the pivot ball stud to index it forward a bit more.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/23/21 5:01 p.m.

Did it work?

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 1:00 p.m.

Don't know yet Michael.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 1:03 p.m.

Today is get the transmission back in day.  Garage is cold-48f-and it's snowing outside and 30f.  Expecting 2-3" of snow through the morning.  We'll see how it goes in this time.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 1:33 p.m.

Refilled the trans fluid before I roll the jack under the car.  Easier than filling it after the trans is in place.  Hopefully smarter too.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 1:39 p.m.

Up, up, and away.  

BTW-a shout out to Dave, owner of OAKOS Automotive and the trans jack I've had in my garage for way to long yet again.  Dave is a great guy and I can't thank him enough for letting me use the trans jack time and time again.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 1:59 p.m.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 2:23 p.m.

Getting close!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 2:24 p.m.

Closer

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 2:26 p.m.

No downside to filling the trans before moving it in to place.  Probably didn't need to drain it previously.  

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
11/27/21 2:33 p.m.

Hopefully she slides right in!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 3:01 p.m.

Just not seating.  Taking a short break and regroup.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 7:26 p.m.

Damn.  Wiggle, cuss, shake, pull, adjust...not seating.   Engine front up, no dice.  Trans up and trans down,  no dice.    I remember this being a bit of a PITA last year as tunnel clearance isn't copious either. I'll keep working it.   It'll go in eventually as it fit before.  I just need to get everything in the right position for it to seat.

11/27/21 9:06 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Are you able to pop it into gear and twist the output shaft to juggle the input shaft a little (thinking it might be shaft splines binding in clutch hub)?

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 9:55 p.m.

I had to do that to get the splines started in to the disc.  It seems to be hung up on the pilot bearing and the input shaft retainer which aligns with the bellhousing for a very precise fit.   I fought with this last time too just not this much.  If I lift the trans too much it hits the tunnel.  Shifter needs to be in rear most positions to allow forward movement of the trans to the bellhousing.  Trans jack needs to be towards the rear of the trans to avoid hitting the bellhousing and stopping forward travel of the jack and trans.  I don't want to pull things together with the trans bolts (Tremec no-no) and didn't need to last time.  Back at it tomorrow.

11/27/21 10:19 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Sleep well, my friend. Tomorrow it will go together like peas and carrots.  

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/27/21 10:30 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Second that. It's going to be one of those 5 minute/day 2 wonders. Why does that happen???

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 10:51 p.m.

Hahaha!  Thanks guys I appreciate the votes of confidence.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/28/21 2:34 p.m.

Well making progress but not there yet.  I dropped the tail end of the trans a lot and was able to rotate the case a bit and have longer versions of all 4 trans to bellhousing bolts in place.  So I've verified my alignment.   Just gotta push now!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/28/21 2:50 p.m.

The splines have engaged the clutch disc as when it's in gear I can't rotate the output shaft of h the trans.  Full disengagement and output shaft rotation when in neutral.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/13/22 10:29 p.m.

Well winter came along with the blahs and life stuff and things kinda stopped.  I  haven't posted in a quite a while but dug back in to the car with some needling, well deserved I might add, from Brent and some other local car buddies.  Tonight I wrapped up the underside of the car and I'll get it back on the ground this week after my business trip.  

3/14/22 9:12 a.m.

Outstanding! Good to see this on Page 1 again.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
3/14/22 12:04 p.m.

See the source image

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/21/22 8:12 p.m.

She's coming off the lift now.  Wish me luck!

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O7d2JSUd2aTbb80GZ7RqJzf5yjbOUIuagNcvkhdmQQYvQiPmb8qooK4NfsGyumOd