1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29
wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/15/22 8:14 a.m.

The slave isn't stuck as I can compress the piston in to the bore.  It's elevated now and I'll try and bleed it in this position now.  Next step is bleed backwards through the slave cylinder then bench bleed the slave and reinstall it.   WK2 soccer game this morning then route check for Distinguished Gentleman's Ride this afternoon then back to the car.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/22 10:39 a.m.

Bleeding the clutch on Ursula the E12 was a motherberkeleyer. I don't remember the exact details, but I kinda remember unbolting the slave and letting it hang, then gravity-bleeding with no pedal pushes, just tapping on the slave and rotating it around from "inlet is lowest point" to "bleeder is highest point" because IIRC they weren't configured opposite each other.

Hang in there brother! The frustration is real, no doubt.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/16/22 8:42 p.m.

Alright I got the bleeder cracked and a good size bubble out of it after cycling the piston slowly a few times.  I'm going to try this process a few more times then clamp the slave in one of my big C clamps and see if it builds pressure.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/16/22 9:49 p.m.
NOT A TA said:
wawazat said:

BTW-Dad checked out fine at his cardiologist and neurologist and feels good today and since he came home.

Did dad ever have Lyme disease?

Dad did not have Lyme Disease.  Cardiologist and Neurologist have found nothing out of the ordinary.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/17/22 8:42 p.m.

I installed everything last night then wrapped it up.  After dinner tonight I adjusted the piston rod then climbed in and had a solid clutch pedal!   Fired her up and have clutch release!   I need to get back underneath and tie things back down then reinstall the steering column.  Road test after that!!!

Thanks for the support and help everybody!  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/17/22 10:09 p.m.

Column in and everything is locked down.  I'll get her off the jackstands and close up shop for the night.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
5/17/22 10:17 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/17/22 10:19 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to wawazat :

QFT.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/17/22 11:29 p.m.

^Hahaha!  Thanks guys!

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
5/18/22 2:47 a.m.

Awesome!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/19/22 7:16 p.m.

I DROVE IT TONIGHT!laugh

Short trip through the hood in 1st and 2nd gear.  Had some strange steering binding and some odd front end noise that I need to verify but clutch releases and I backed it out and drove it for the first time in 2 years!   Yup feels pretty good right now!!!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/19/22 7:25 p.m.

OH berkeley YES!!!!

That has made my day. Congratulations!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/22 9:59 p.m.
wawazat said:

I DROVE IT TONIGHT!laugh

berkeley yeah you did!

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/20/22 6:59 p.m.
wawazat said:

I DROVE IT TONIGHT!laugh

Short trip through the hood in 1st and 2nd gear.  Had some strange steering binding and some odd front end noise that I need to verify but clutch releases and I backed it out and drove it for the first time in 2 years!   Yup feels pretty good right now!!!

Excellent!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/23/22 3:07 p.m.

So life has been directly in my path for getting to the list above but I've put on a few more miles and am really happy with the clutch and aluminum flywheel, trans, and rear gear ratio so far.  Clutch releases smoothly and ia easy to modulate, aluminum flywheel present zero driving challenges even at low engine RPM or transition to motion even up a hill (major win there), TKO is a bit notchy but nothing like the trans in my Harley and I'm pleased with the 3.70:1 rear end so far.  That said I haven't launched in anger not done much above 60mph.  
While I was initially concerned about the AL flywheel, I reasoned that the iron crank, iron rods, iron balancer, and 8 cast aluminum pistons still retain a significant amount of rotational inertia.  Driving this combo isn't an issue like so many internet pundits suggested it might be thankfully.  I'll get it back on the lift this week to work through the list of open points.  

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/23/22 3:15 p.m.

This is fantastic - can't wait to see it in the flesh!  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/23/22 8:24 p.m.

Thanks Dave.  WK2 asked me tonight at dinner if it would be ready for Woodward this year and I said it would.  Got an air high 5 across the table for that response.  

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
5/23/22 8:51 p.m.

Excellent newws! Including dad.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/28/22 4:26 p.m.

Today I washed the car and decided to take a little run to blow some of the water off.  I was about 1/2 mile from the house and went to shift in to 3rd and the clutch pedal got soft.  Dang.  Pulled in to a driveway and lifted the hood saw the slave cylinder piston and boot detached from the body.  
So I went from not enough travel to too much travel.  I fixed it too good!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
5/28/22 9:56 p.m.

So new slave needed?

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/28/22 10:14 p.m.

I don't think so.  I'll find out more tomorrow when I tear it down.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/12/22 3:57 p.m.

So two weeks ago it went all screwy.  Then kids events at the end of the school year-Washington DC weekend field trip, end of soccer season and tryouts, end of dance season and recitals.  Been a bit of time since I got on and under the car.  I did verify that all the firings under the dash were tight then struggled to get the pedals back together.  Today I pulled the pedals all the way down and just got them back together.  Now to get them back on to the car.  This stymied me last time hope it goes back in easier this time.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/12/22 4:22 p.m.

I was back in the car to get the pedals reinstalled and found the leak I thought was the fittings I used.  The fitting from the remote reservoir is leaking.  I'll call the make me in the morning and see what they can do for me.  With that discovered I've found what I believe is the smoking gun.  I'll move to turn signal diagnosis, slave cylinder rebuilds, and steering binding if I can address this in the driveway.  My neighbors love me-well some of them at least. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/13/22 10:38 a.m.

Spoke with Malwood and a new MC is on its way to me.  Yay!  I rebuilt the slave cylinder last night.  I need to source some more spacers to lift the engine up a bit to clear the steering ujoint.  Short term solution and I'll modify the header and recoat in the future.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/25/22 11:35 p.m.

So I got it back on the lift today.  I lifted the engine 1/2" with steel spacers and that got me the clearance I needed on the steering ujoint.  I fixed the speedometer gear and got that functioning.  I got the new clutch MC in and installed then bled it off the trans then installed it.  I had to bleed it again on the car but that went pretty smoothly.  I put about 10 miles on it tonight without major issues though I do need to center the steering wheel and check a light contact on the front driveshaft ujoint that sounds like the parking brake cable.

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KuA5kdXXyMB0DodJeJpf3D7SsXqsZTf5ebp17uAN04zsggG041kcGkSG3gu0a6FW