1 2 3
a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/9/22 2:44 p.m.

So, now with new odometer gears, 

...the odometers now do odometer things again for the first time in 50+ years!!

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/22 4:03 p.m.

Such a cool thread! I had seen the Healey at the challenge a couple of years but didn't know the backstory. 

Cars with a good story, especially a personal one, really are awesome.

a_florida_man
11/10/22 8:31 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Thanks!

a_florida_man
1/15/23 12:16 p.m.

So the clutch is going back in today.... sort sad to cover up all of the new shiny bits....

Please ignore the British undercoating. IYKUK

Speaking of bits... one of the coolest things about this particular car is how original it is. Probably 95% + of the hardware is correct, complete, and original. You can buy hardware of the quality easily (if ata all) these days. Luckily there are ALMOST no Whitworth fasteners. :) She isn't a concours car cosmetically, but I think that is why I love the car so much. Is 100% solid and 100% enjoyable.

a_florida_man
1/15/23 12:30 p.m.

So, on the subject of originality...

I try to keep the good and the bad of the cars where I want the original driving (and owning) experience to remain intact.

With a few exceptions.

The car was getting to be hard to start.

The original starter had a field coil brush wire almost completely break in half.

To fix that would require disturbing the field coils, which were quite clearly ready to shed ALL of their 65 year old cloth insulation at the mere thought of pulling them from the case.

Add to that the armature should be turned to square it up.

I had an additional parts starter, and it needed brushes, bushings, brush springs etc...

I will rebuild the original starter and the spare, but I did not want to rush through that so I picked this one up to try it out.

My thought is to see how it changes the "Healey Experience"

How much does it improve starting?

What does it look like in the engine bay?

What does it sound like?

Im thinking that even if I go back to the original starter eventually, it will be  good to have sorted out this conversion, and have it around for a backup. 

Who knows what will be available to maintain the old starters in the future? 

Better buy this one now so that my kids' kids will have options if they keep all of my old junk. :)

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
1/15/23 5:19 p.m.

I really like these starters.  My TR6 has one, and it's lighter, stronger, and more reliable than the original.  As a bonus, it's tucked under the intake where I never see it (similar to the AH, I'd bet).  The only way I notice it is from the sound.  It makes a different sound when turning the engine over, probably from the gear reduction.  I can live with that.

a_florida_man
1/16/23 2:56 p.m.

Getting closer to the vroom vroom.

I miss it.

The starter saves a lot of room.

a_florida_man
1/16/23 9:13 p.m.

Good news... clutch works fine.

Bad news the oil pressure gauge hose burst.

It was only 66 years old.... you'd think that if you can get 66 years, you can get a hundred, right?

LOL.

I can't believe I never replaced that... at 1st I was miffed but pretty quickly that was over taken by the relief of it happening at home, and not on the road.

Also, oddly enough, the choke cable stuck.

It had never done that before... but a little pb blaster along the outer sheath, and now all is well.

Im pretty excited to drive it again, its been a few months, and I've done a number of things.

Tightened spokes, found one broken one.

Balanced wheels.

Adjusted brakes.

reset timing

welded seat base to correct reclining seat back.

new clutch

installed standard 160 deg t'stat with bypass sleeve.

changed the oil and filter 7qts (20w50)

changed the gearbox and OD oil 7.5 pts (30w ND)

upgraded the starter. 

Oh yes the starter... about that.

I think it spins the engine over faster than it idles.... lol.. certainly a technical improvement, but nothing like the old one.

NO loud clunk as the drive gear bangs backwards against the flywheel.... no loping rythmic revolutions that give you time to take pause and address the LUCAS overlords.

Nope this one will certainly make you take starting the car for granted. Kinda like the pertronix ignitor. :)

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/23 9:45 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

I still regret not driving this when you offered.  Next time I get the chance I will.

a_florida_man
1/16/23 9:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

I still regret not driving this when you offered.  Next time I get the chance I will.

And you will, soon. Very soon. :)

a_florida_man
1/17/23 9:31 p.m.

Every once in a while, I still come across things that are different on this car.... not like you might assume or expect from a newer car.

Here's one.

The Flexible oil line between the engine and the hard line to the gauge in the dash connects at the engine to a fitting in the side of the block.

The other end attaches to a hardline under the hood that then goes through a series of loops to absorb vibration.

In this picture, the hardline is bent up (it normally points down). I did this to access it so I could carefully separate it from the old hose assembly. 

cool, huh?

Check this out...

It's soldered. It does not spin.

If I hadn't approached this slowly and in a delicate manner.... id be ordering more parts!

Pure luck on my part. lol

a_florida_man
1/20/23 9:18 p.m.

Ahhh. Much better.

Shakedown run passed.

Interior in.

Lets go for a ride!

a_florida_man
1/22/23 6:10 p.m.

So I finally found a fastener that absolutely requires a Whitworth sized wrench.

Its the jam nut on the jet lever yokes.

Absolutely no substitute!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/23 6:58 p.m.

Glad you're back going again.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/22/23 7:30 p.m.
a_florida_man said:

Ahhh. Much better.

Shakedown run passed.

Interior in.

Lets go for a ride!

This makes me happy yes

a_florida_man
1/22/23 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Me too! :)

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
1/22/23 7:56 p.m.

Regarding your stuck choke cable, make sure your engine is still grounded well. If it isn't, the throttle linkage and choke cable become the ground strap and that will cause the cable to weld itself to the sheath in extreme circumstances. We see this about once a year at Eclectic. 

a_florida_man
1/22/23 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman :

Thanks for the suggestion!

Yes the engine is well grounded, and I too have seen 'welded' choke and throttle cables.

This was just a case of almost 3 months of zero activity, I think. 

We had a lot of wild temperature swings (for Florida) over that time and plenty of chances for condensation.

The choke cable sheath is just wound wire, so a little pb blaster along the length instantly did the trick.

a_florida_man
1/22/23 9:32 p.m.

Well, I don't brag a lot... but sometimes I have too.

Read the far right side comments from my FB page post about the Healey.

I married well. 

As you know, the Jag is here..... 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-most-expensive-car-ive-ever-owned/196056/page1/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HH8hXIf7VrQX7bUAjrOluhC587fIW6D10c9BVKBPGkzCGy7vcXKGKUnXSgUK1OL9