1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/26/21 8:08 a.m.

It's odd how the size ratio of wheel/tire package vs. body came out so well on the slightly older Ford Capri which usually came on 13's vs. the MII.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/28/21 9:11 p.m.

(I found this thread just now after you referred to it in the Van thread)

I love this!  Get those tennis rackets for sure.

Most of my old Ford stuff has been from the '80s but I've had 3 in that shade of blue.  And the one I have currently sports the white vinyl top as well.

I do have a junk carburetor that looks like it's the same basic carburetor as yours.  Not sure if this would be a burden or a nice thing to have, but it's yours for the price of shipping if you think you could use it.  I imagine it came out of a later fox body 4 cylinder car (I think that's probably the floor board from whence it was unearthed).  I also have a presumably-rebuildable Weber 32/36 if that is something that can be used IF you ever decide to modify.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/29/21 12:46 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

It makes it a little worse because the 175-70-13s are a little smaller than the B78s or whatever was originally equipped.  The choices were something a hair bigger or a hair smaller and I went smaller to give the highway gears all the help they could get in the mountains around here. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/29/21 12:49 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Im glad you like it!  Basically this is what goes through my head while driving itlaugh

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/29/21 3:22 p.m.

There's something to be said for having a whole host of projects in various states of progress that will *eventually* be a whole lot of fun to drive but then having one baby blue ford to just hop in and drive.  When everything else is on jackstands and/or waiting for parts to arrive...I can climb in a baby blue ford and go for a cruise.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
4/29/21 10:43 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

It always gives me pause, when y'all youngsters refer to "old cars" and your referring to the malaise area! Heck folks are referring to cars around the turn of the century as "old" already. surprise

I saw the car's for sale ad on here, and was glad someone as cool as logdog picked it up. I think he's on the right path, at least for now. A few mods, but mostly time capsule (without being obsessive about it!)

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/30/21 7:53 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Right now the biggest elephant in the room on projects is the CJ5.  Its actually the only thing around here that isn't driving (Such a rare accomplishment!).  The Civic Chumpcar- ready for Watkins Glen, the E100 - Ready to boogie, Baby Blue 'stang- ready to dominate the streets.  Even the daily drivers are mostly good.  I just need to replace an oil pan gasket on the wife's car next oil change.

My wife did tell me yesterday that she would like for the CJ5 to be drivable before I re-gear the van's diff, so I guess it moves up the priority list.laugh

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/30/21 8:00 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

The other day a friend and I were talking about how funny the Malaise Era is.  Too new for the standard "classic" car guys, too old for the Radwood guys. Its a truly unloved time. Which there are clearly very good reasons for....

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/30/21 11:16 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ClemSparks :

Right now the biggest elephant in the room on projects is the CJ5.  Its actually the only thing around here that isn't driving (Such a rare accomplishment!).  The Civic Chumpcar- ready for Watkins Glen, the E100 - Ready to boogie, Baby Blue 'stang- ready to dominate the streets.  Even the daily drivers are mostly good.  I just need to replace an oil pan gasket on the wife's car next oil change.

My wife did tell me yesterday that she would like for the CJ5 to be drivable before I re-gear the van's diff, so I guess it moves up the priority list.laugh

To be clear...I was actually referring to myself but knew you could relate.  Sounds like your fleet is in pretty good shape!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/30/21 11:21 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to ClemSparks :

It always gives me pause, when y'all youngsters refer to "old cars" and your referring to the malaise area! Heck folks are referring to cars around the turn of the century as "old" already. surprise

Thanks...that's the only thing about my day that didn't make me feel old.  

I didn't start calling the stuff I'm into old until a decade after everyone else did.  

I have to say, though, anyone who would make an argument that a Mustang II isn't old is probably...very far from young.  It's all relative.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/30/21 11:31 p.m.

That's awesome!

What's wrong with you?

cheeky

Also, opening a time capsule from 1976 is a bold move. It could've sucked us all back to that point in time! The horror!

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/1/21 12:57 a.m.
ClemSparks said:

Thanks...that's the only thing about my day that didn't make me feel old.  

I didn't start calling the stuff I'm into old until a decade after everyone else did.  

I have to say, though, anyone who would make an argument that a Mustang II isn't old is probably...very far from young.  It's all relative.

Glad I could make your day  smiley

To be fair, I was not driving when the M-II came out; but already being hard core into the 60's stuff, I was well aware of it being a lame move from ford, for all the wrong reasons. (I've been accused of having a very old soul ) I did not have any interest in a pinto with a longer hood. Again, in the interest of fairness, Falcons and their cousin, the Comet, were my favorite, and all a Mustang is, is a Falcon with a longer hood!!!

In the late 80's I did end up thinking notchback M-II would make a cool, odd ball, hotrod, with the right engine. Even picked up a V6 notch, but sold it without doing anything to it. I'd love to have it back for the $300 I paid. Red with a black vinyl top. Not quite as nice as logdog's, but still right nice for the times.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/17/21 8:49 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

That's awesome!

What's wrong with you?

cheeky

Also, opening a time capsule from 1976 is a bold move. It could've sucked us all back to that point in time! The horror!

I will look GOOD in my Horizon Blue suit cruising the streets!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/17/21 8:56 a.m.

A few pics from this weekend.  We saw several people grabbing pictures of it while we were out and about.  If you are going to be slow, you might as well look good.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/18/21 9:09 a.m.

Story time!

A few years ago when we were still living in Michigan someone dropped off a litter of kittens in the road in front of the farm (pretty common thing because people suck).  I was traveling for work when my wife told me about it.  I asked how many she planned on keeping and she insisted she was keeping none of them. This went on for awhile and the tone in her voice never really made me believe her.  Fast forward a few years later and 2 time Lemons Rally participant Danica Catrick, who was in that litter, is still with us.

How does that story apply?  She says I sound the same way when talking about selling this car.  I honestly never wanted a Mustang 2.  Never dreamed of one.  Never gave them much thought.  Didn't know I wanted one until I saw this one in January, and its grown on me quite a bit.  Its really an awful car in so many ways, but Im starting to love it.  Im like 98.99% sure Im ready to quit lying to myself that I'm going to possibly maybe sell it one day.

Last night I popped the direct drive mechanical fan off the front to see what kind of difference it would make.  I've done it on a few other vehicle for various reasons and have NEVER had one make that much of a difference in power.  You would have thought I swapped cams or something with how much better it revved and pulled at higher RPMs.  So its getting an electric fan.  Popping the mech fan off the van made the engine MUCH quieter and actually let it warm up in cold weather, but there was minimal power difference.  I guess 88hp and zero torque needs all the help it can get.   I also ordered a set of Hella H4 conversion headlights for it and have enough parts in the garage I can make a relay harness.

So.... I guess what I am saying is keeping this stock is like counting calories, I was good for awhile but now I'm sneaking in the snacks.  laugh

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
5/18/21 9:25 a.m.

Its really an awful car in so many ways, but Im starting to love it. 

I laughed out loud because I know exactly where you're coming from.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/21 10:03 a.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

Oh good, I'm thrilled to hear this! Now you just need to swap in a 2.3-turbo, with the trans/diff/brakes to support it, but leave everything else stock. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/18/21 2:56 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

The first thing people ask is, "Is it fast?".  Compared to walking? Yes. Compared to a rental spec economy car? No. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/18/21 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

My wife and I had a long conversation last night about upgrades.  Its a balancing act between all the projects around here and we never want to have a situation where the thing is down for years like the CJ5 has been (which will hopefully be sorta drivable soon!).  Nothing major will happen for awhile.  It runs and drives great so no need to change that for the time being.  We generally spend the winter doing deeper repairs/upgrades to one of them and haven't decided who goes under the knife in 6 months yet.  Right now I would lean towards getting a better rear axle/deeper gears,upgrading brakes, and bigger wheels before doing anything to the powertrain.  She wants a V8 if we keep it*.

*see how I act like the decison hasnt been made?laugh

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/18/21 3:36 p.m.

For cost, simplicity, chance at using factory parts where possible etc etc a 5.0 sounds like a great drop-in.  Basically an 80's Fox or later drivetrain swap really; 4 lug rear axle, AOD or T5, and 5.0 at the front.  And get some rubber under that thing.

My 2 cents.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/20/21 10:44 a.m.

That is where I lived for a couple of years.  Just look to the left as you cross the bridge and you will see it!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/25/21 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Thinkkker :

Its such a great spot for photo ops.  When I first moved to NEPA I stumbled across it and was very confused when I turned the last corner and it came into view.  It was like "What the heck is that?!?"

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/25/21 9:30 a.m.

We had our first breakdown a couple days ago.  We were in Scranton and it died out at a 4 way stop.  I pushed it around the corner into a no parking zone and popped the hood. Quickly determined it was a spark issue and started looking at connections.  Thats when I discovered the pickup coil connector had gotten brittle and broken at some point in the past and was repaired with a bunch of silicon.  Slapped some duct tape on it to get home and the new pickup coil should be here by Thursday.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
5/25/21 7:16 p.m.

This is the kind of breakdown story I like to hear!

(I mean...if I have to hear a breakdown story ;))

logdog (Forum Supporter)
6/2/21 7:46 a.m.

BlueInGreen's wife cut us the perfect sticker for the back window.  The streets are officially warned!

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
voQvBtO70Mm8k8EjLpgFPsJFrE5svCvGWYjjuII4191p5yzM2StP63aQmPYh1qep