1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/13/20 4:26 p.m.
garaithon said:

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

I have a pretty decent amount of cut up gm truck exhaust laying around if need more to work with. I can shoot you some pictures of the piles. I also could use your stock Enovy exhaust manifolds on the swap in the Whale, if you want to let them go. I would gladly buy them off you to give you some budget credit!  

Consider the Envoy manifolds yours.  I'm already maxed out on my $$$ recoupe, but a trade for some parts I still need would be GREAT.  Playing the challenge budget game, if you happen to have an LS flywheel or Corvette harmonic balancer to trade (even if they are in really POOR condition), I could use the Violet Rule below to zero out my SFI balancer I already have installed, or get a nice safe SFI flywheel  Here's the rule:

1. Partial Exemption: The Violet Rule (previously known as the Reese Rule): SFI-approved harmonic balancers, SFI-approved flywheels and SFI-approved flex plates are budget-neutral. These parts are dangerous rotating assemblies that should be treated with respect. Any intact harmonic balancer, flywheel, or flex plate listed on the budget may be exchanged for a duplicate SFI-approved part without increasing or decreasing the budget. “Duplicate” is defined as having the same listed application as the standard part in a major parts catalog. In situations where a standard part is not present to exchange, fair market value of the standard part may be used. SFI-approved transmission shields, SFI-approved flex plate shields, and SFI-approved bell housings are not rotating parts, and are not budget exempt. You may still be required to use one or all, depending on your car’s construction and E.T. in the drags.

garaithon
garaithon Reader
11/13/20 8:54 p.m.

I junked a decent flywheel a few months back :(... I can probably come up with a balancer I'll check at work! Let me know anything else you need! 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 9:05 p.m.

Work it baby work it.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/14/20 7:15 a.m.
garaithon said:

I junked a decent flywheel a few months back :(... I can probably come up with a balancer I'll check at work! Let me know anything else you need! 

Come get the manifolds as soon as you need them, and if you stumble upon either of those things before October of next year we'll trade.  No hurry and no worry.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/20/20 7:59 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:
garaithon said:

Come get the manifolds as soon as you need them, and if you stumble upon either of those things before October of next year we'll trade.  No hurry and no worry.

Received this pic in a text

Gariathon scored a balancer to trade!

Here's the manifolds ready to pick up

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/20/20 10:00 p.m.

Started mocking up the exhaust with some drop cuts from Humpie's remains.

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

garaithon
garaithon Reader
11/21/20 9:44 a.m.

Looking good! Ill bring you some exhaust piping as well. I might try and make the trip up there next weekend if your around, a lot of our thanksgiving plans have been reduced in size. Ill keep a look out for a flywheel, we don't change many clutches anymore, but time is on your side currently!  

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/21/20 3:17 p.m.

In reply to garaithon :

See you next weekend.

Posting this picture for confirmation about which O2 sensor gets mounted where.  This one is closest to the engine/ manifold before the Cats.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/21/20 4:12 p.m.

Random list of things to do before the body goes back on the frame:

1. Exhaust and routing
  2. Transmission rear mount, (must set driveshaft pinion angle first or accommodate provisions to change later)
  3. Paint engine mounts and other welded on areas
  4. Plan fuel delivery routing and lines installation
  5. Repair knicked brake line
  6. Inspect and tighten front suspension bolts
  7. Secure loose steering rack
  8. Reinforce suspension mounts
  9. Replace axle U-bolt
  10. Driveshaft loop
  11. Third member installation / wheel hop correction.
Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/28/20 5:12 p.m.

The weather man is predicting COLD and snow this coming week, so today was time to pull some parts from "Indy's Junk Yard"  Remember Humpie ?  He's still parked in the side yard, so I spent some time pulling the rest of the exhaust...

Then I pulled the gas tank to investigate using its bits and bobs for the TR4 fuel system.

In theory, I should be able to put the old truck intake back on the engine, connect these fuel lines and give power to the pump and I would  be able to test fire the engine in the TR4.

Stampie (FS)
11/28/20 5:40 p.m.

I vote for an open exhaust test run recorded on video of course.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/28/20 6:07 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I vote for an open exhaust test run recorded on video of course.

I'm already moving towards the decision to do the exhaust twice.  First, as you describe, straight pipe for Challenge.  Then come back later, spend some $$$ and do it right.  Remember, I want this car to have a life after the Challenge because it's a long term keeper.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/28/20 6:10 p.m.

Oh, and I think I have a budget free solution to the single circuit brakes.  Humpie's Master Cylinder:

Stampie (FS)
11/28/20 7:06 p.m.

Wow look at all the rust from it being up north and then those two pretty stainless braided lines.  Could you use them also?

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/28/20 8:03 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Wow look at all the rust from it being up north and then those two pretty stainless braided lines.  Could you use them also?

I'm going to try.

Here's the direction I'm heading for the exhaust:

Side pipes or at least side dump

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/28/20 8:20 p.m.

Drivers side something like this:

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
11/29/20 9:51 a.m.

Looking good!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/20 10:55 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Wow look at all the rust from it being up north

That's rust-free by Indiana standards. 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
11/29/20 1:07 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie (FS) said:

Wow look at all the rust from it being up north

That's rust-free by Indiana standards. 

That's as it left the factory by Triumph standards.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/29/20 2:26 p.m.

Gariathon stopped by this afternoon.  He's giving the White Whale some needed TLC.  It looks great on the new wheels and tires (275's !!!)

(If you zoom way in, you can see Humpie in the distance over and beyond the back of the Whale)

Traded the exhaust manifolds and power steering pump & mount for this used Corvette balancer.  That'll allow me to zero budget hit the SFI unit installed on the engine now.

Bonus, Gariathon works at a Chevy dealership and also included these drops from a customer who had a Borla exhaust installed.  Shiny new pipes to work with !

Also, looks like he's going to join team Barely Functional Racing ! ! !  So look for future developments on that news.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/29/20 3:28 p.m.

Too bad that fuel pump from Humpy is an aftermarket Airtex brand. They are unreliable junk.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/30/20 1:14 p.m.

What is the difference in the SFI balancer and a regular corvette balancer? 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/20 4:56 p.m.

Nice source of mandrel bends!

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/30/20 7:42 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

What is the difference in the SFI balancer and a regular corvette balancer? 

For this ride, it's only a Challenge budget trick, so I can zero out the $60 cost of the SFI one.

What's the actual "technical" difference, I have no clue other than it's approved by the "SFI Foundation" for drag racing safety.

In reply to Angry Corvair:

Yeah I was super excited, he mentioned bringing some "truck exhaust piping" that I could use, but I had no idea it was new take-offs.  I'm going to try and use the "resonators".  One per side.

Maybe side pipes?  Something like these examples:

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/20 10:13 p.m.

Yes!!!

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ChSj7keBQkmZYxlv0XGZ5tqHcplyqko4c131opDk2Qy0cT0JAfJbmic2nwvLMWhv