1 ... 16 17 18 19 20
akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
1/31/21 6:29 a.m.

Is that .030 flux core? Or .030 with gas?

Asking because I'm ruminating on getting a bottle of shielding gas for such shenanigans. I'll go check the Molvo thread while I'm in here. 

Great work, by the way. yes

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/31/21 7:33 a.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Hey. thanks for posting the results of your first welding effort. I often wonder if it has actually helped anyone other than those who learn it in my shop.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/31/21 7:34 a.m.

In reply to akamcfly :

Thanks.  I'm just learning as I go.

It's 0.030" with shielding gas.  NOHOME had another brief description in AxeHealey's thread recently too.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/31/21 7:40 a.m.

In reply to akamcfly :

You dont want to visit the Molvo thread if you like build threads cause you will be there a while. You can become a welder faster than you will get through that build. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/31/21 8:07 a.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Hey. thanks for posting the results of your first welding effort. I often wonder if it has actually helped anyone other than those who learn it in my shop.

Definitely a big THANKS to you for the simple step by step beginners guide.  Reading you and AXE discuss it again recently helped too.  

Inside the cover of the welder it suggests thinner gauge wire (0.027") for this thickness metal, but 0 030" is what I had.  A mental count of "one thousand and" with the trigger pulled seemed to work.  After a few spots I tried the welder on power setting 2 and immediately burned a hole thru.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/22/22 9:13 p.m.

Nothing new on the car, but here's the two year anniversary update on the finger amputation:

Reminder:  Be careful working on your cars guys.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/22 9:41 p.m.

You'll never be able to go to Japan now frown

Or - if someone asks about it, you can say that you were told that you talk too much smiley

(look up finger shortening. i think it is called yubitsume)

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/22 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I was hoping to see so much more in this post.  See what I did there?  Dude the car has so much work done.  Get back on it.  Show it that it's your bitch.  Ok maybe I went a little too far.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/23/22 7:38 a.m.

Yes, please give us progress. Don't give up

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/22 12:04 p.m.

Yes progress.  It's time to get back on the horse.  

Stampie
7/4/22 7:56 p.m.

Bump because Indy - Guy mentioned the project and I want him to get back on it instead of becoming a Prius hoarder like John.  Not that there's anything wrong with Prius hoarding or John or Indy - Guy for that matter.

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/4/22 10:07 p.m.

I would be down to come lend a hand one weekend! 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/17/23 8:22 p.m.

Dropping this here so I can find it again later (not my car):

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/23 9:05 a.m.

Lack of LS TR4 content in previous posts is disturbing

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/23 9:20 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Indy-Guy. It's the new AngryCorvair

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/23 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Oh dude, I don't think we can hang out anymore.

cheeky

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
2/18/23 3:47 p.m.

I'm truly impressed with this effort all things considered.....sorry for the digit elimination mine is on my right hand middle finger from close encounter with a skill saw..... your doing great things, more chillren shots.....and giving your father a drive around the block....

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/22/23 8:25 p.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Indy-Guy. It's the new AngryCorvair

Ouch.  That one hurts almost as much as the amputation.  He's finally upping his quality of workmanship, so maybe it's not all bad.

Progress has been delayed in part, due to an addition to the pit crew team.  Soon he'll be ready to actually do constructive work.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
2/22/23 8:56 p.m.

Cute! I think he's ready to help!

Stampie
2/22/23 9:59 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Wow he's right at a year old now right?  He was a little thing when I was up last Feb.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/23/23 5:37 a.m.

You guys make cure kids!

I didn't realize he was that old already....

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/23/23 7:09 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

A little over that, 15 months old.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

They get it from their Momma, not me.

He's in a stage right now, where he will literally cry and throw a temper tantrum if I don't take him out to the garage as soon as I get home from work.  Once I get all these stupid Priuii all sorted out, (and build the addition onto the house) it'll be back onto the TR4.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/1/23 7:50 a.m.

The GRM post-Challenge relay delivered some goodies:

Notice the little hand, that's my helper reaching in to help unload.

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
6/1/23 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Congrats on the anniversary ! ! 

We were gonna amputate me little finger after the accident, but my surgeon decided that it would be better (MAYBE for me) and more fun for her (I now believe) to stitch together the outer skin of the finger in a semblance of "normal" and move the bone fragments around so that they would fuse together on a stainless rod. Finger was cut in half, so it seemed like the only choice, really. No longer bends, has just a little smidge of a malformed finger nail, looks like sausage really, but doesn't  frighten children nor cause women to faint at the sight of it . . .  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/1/23 2:13 p.m.

In reply to MuSTANK :

I remember your post when it first happened to you, and that gorey picture.    Also noticed you've relisted your MGA project for sale (It's taken every bit of self control to not buy it from you BTW) and stated the finger as a partial cause for your moving it along.  Sorry to hear that.

Good about your surgeon (I think).  My accident happened right at the beginning of the Lock Downs and spreading fear of Covid.  So surgical consults and the like were discouraged, and as a result I got a surgeon who was really sub-par and bed-side manner was horrible, and offered little information or suggested options.   As a result they just hacked the rest of it off without an honest attempt to save it.  I actually think your injury was worse than mine.  Oh well, at least I have a good running joke with all the new kids I meet:  When I ask them to "give me five" after they slap my outstretched hand, I respond with: "Hey, that's only 4 and two thirds"  Then I show them the Nub.   So I guess it doesn't actually frighten children, but it does cause some women faint of sight. wink

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LPB1ZZ3Rw9JZ8sI9oPTbiWkUsg5DMB0CZWmRygulfWw6HlCkx5KZUd84GTMbibOI