MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/31/20 8:37 a.m.

Mrs. Mad Scientist and I were looking over what we would like to accomplish this year, and a number of those looked like they'd be easier to accomplish if we had a pickup truck. However, we didn't have much space to put one or money to buy one with.

So, I bought a beater '94 Ford Ranger for $1300 yesterday. This one has the 2.3 dual plug motor and a 5 speed manual transmission. Having a 5 speed kind of makes it a bit entertaining to drive: You can flog this like a total maniac and find you're only doing 45 mph. And the kids seem to think that the ladder rack is as much fun as a jungle gym.

It needs a lot of cleaning up, and I need to fix the fuel gauge and possibly some deferred maintenance. Beyond that, I haven't made any decisive plans with it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/20 10:19 a.m.

you southern guys with your rocker panels and cab corners and bed sides...

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/20 10:26 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

And trucks that aren't in a v shape

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
2/12/20 9:37 a.m.

How about this beauty...in a junkyard near me now...had to snap a picture because its so oddball:

2.3 Turbo-diesel...this was something like a late 80s, early 90s model

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/20 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

We got one with a 5 speed behind it stashed in the barn.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
2/12/20 10:36 a.m.

Hmmmm

v8 swap? ;)

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/12/20 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

Perkins diesel. Iirc, only 84-86. They are perfect for an emissions state swap candidate....

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/12/20 11:48 a.m.
amg_rx7 said:

Hmmmm

v8 swap? ;)

Pitmfa. I speak from experience. And it's always in the details that kill them.

MadScientistMatt
2/13/20 8:04 a.m.

Currently I have no plans for a V8 swap. I just plan to fix any issues that have a chance of leaving me stranded or rendering the truck unsafe (and the fuel gauge falls into this category), using it as a parts chaser to support my Dart project, and the occasional commuter slog when other vehicles are off the road. If I had wanted to do a V8 swap, I probably would have held out for something in better shape, or possibly cheaped out further by going for one without a functioning motor.

Or am I secretly gathering parts for a Coyote swap, and that's what I want everyone to think? devil

Seriously, though, only one lunatic project at a time. Learned that lesson with my last beater truck.

MadScientistMatt
3/2/20 10:11 a.m.

The Ranger managed to carry a load of slant six parts across the Newfound Gap pass this weekend without needing a tow truck or ending up in a ditch. Fortunately the pass had been plowed, and most of the ice and snow weren't on the road itself.

In retrospect, the views - and shaving about an hour off the trip time - were worth it.

MadScientistMatt
3/25/20 8:51 a.m.

It hit a major milestone this weekend.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/20 9:30 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Easy next 100k 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/20 11:42 a.m.

I just dragged my son's off the highway with a roasted steady bearing. So maybe crawl underneath and give that a shake. 

MadScientistMatt
3/25/20 12:46 p.m.

Do you mean the center driveshaft support bearing? It looked in OK-for-now condition, but if I hang onto this truck for more than a year, that bearing and a few of the bushings on the Twin I Beam suspension are getting changed out.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/20 2:19 p.m.

Center support yes.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1OUKf8EFY72mNm1KW8L0KAJMfiGVkJnVZFkpt2SFfojJMtBHYqHtXEmJc48CDDL1