1 2
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/22/21 10:43 a.m.

So my Fiesta had an unfortunate encounter with an agriculture water tank on the highway and is in the body shop waiting to see if it will be totaled. This put me in a spot of needing something with a back seat to haul kids on the rare occasion that needs to happen. The market being what it is, my choices for cheap, reliable cars was limited. I had been passively looking for a 1991-97 town car for a while and Facebook market place thought I should look again. Here she is. Her name is Ethyl. So far I have replaced a ball joint that was torn. It needs an idler pulley (I think) so I am going to do the accessory belt while I am in there. The condition is shockingly nice. Interior is great. The only things that need attention are the drivers heated seat isn't working (not a great loss for me) and the foam on the drivers seat could use rebuilding. Exterior has some minor dings but really nice for a 25 year old car. Drives nice, variable steering has marked adjustment so I think the steering has been rebuilt at some point. 150K miles and a price of $3,600. 

I decided to throw on the wheels I got from Stampie years ago. They will require spacers so I got some hub centric ones. 18 x 9 and x 10 are a tight fit. Might need to roll the fenders if anyone has one of those fender rollers I can borrow/rent.

Poor Fiesta, scared the crap out of the wife. She was driving. 

One of these things. Thankfully it was empty. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 10:51 a.m.

Damage suggests it did not go up and over. That would have been code brown for sure. I'm glad there were no injuries.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/22/21 10:58 a.m.

Glad to hear nobody was hurt with the water-tank crash. I had been picturing something much larger.

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc New Reader
11/22/21 12:28 p.m.

Nice car.  I have off and on wanted a Mercury Grand Marquis for a few years now.  If a wagon had existed, the decision would have been made years ago.  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/22/21 1:03 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

No, I believe it bounced off to the side when she hit it.

It certainly wasn't a fun day as my son was in the emergency room the night before. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/22/21 1:05 p.m.

I have owned three panther platform cars. Good choice. They're durable and parts are cheap. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 3:27 p.m.

Hey I remember those wheels!  They actually look decent on that Lincoln. Glad everyone is good after that hit.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/22/21 8:49 p.m.

Found this old thread that I participated in and it is giving me bad ideas...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-gasp-bagged-suspension/126371/page1/

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/22/21 9:10 p.m.

Love the Town Car! Glad to hear everyone was okay. That would've scared the E36 M3 out of me.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/22/21 9:14 p.m.

Those wheels really look great on there. Excited to see what they look like with tires, and maybe a few raps from the lowering stick?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/22/21 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

I will see what I think I can get away with on these wide wheels. I plan to only run like a 245 if I can get away with it not looking stretched to hell. 

Edit: I can get a 275/40-18 for like $5 more than the 245 in the same model tire. Yeah, I will make the wider one work.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/22/21 10:30 p.m.

I really like those wheels you've got for it. Really changes the look of the car, sporty grandpa mobile.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/21 9:22 a.m.

OOoh.  I didn't see it was a Cartier.  Ain't you fancy?  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/23/21 11:13 a.m.
psteav (Forum Supporter) said:

OOoh.  I didn't see it was a Cartier.  Ain't you fancy?  

Funny thing, the only clock is digital. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/24/21 5:35 p.m.

I got in my other set of spacers and found out more info on how much tire a Panther can take. I am trying really hard not to order $600 in tires...

On the spacers, should I use some sort of thread locker (not red I assume) to make sure the spacers stay put or is a good torquing up to 100 ft lbs. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/24/21 6:25 p.m.

Are those wheels aftermarket or OEM from some other car? They look good in any case.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/24/21 6:27 p.m.

I love those wheels 

Torque spacer lug nuts to 100ftlbs and forget about them 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
11/24/21 6:50 p.m.

This is going to be fun!

$600 worth of tires doesn't sound too bad right now, unfortunately.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/24/21 7:54 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

They are aftermarket that I got from Stampie several years ago. Brand is American Muscle I think. I didn't see this exact style on their store anymore. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/24/21 7:58 p.m.

So another thought I had was the rear air suspension is fully functional. Maybe I can hijack the main line into a small tank, then plumb to manual paddles and gauges linked above, install air bags. Seems pretty straightforward. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/21 8:39 p.m.
singleslammer said:

So another thought I had was the rear air suspension is fully functional. Maybe I can hijack the main line into a small tank, then plumb to manual paddles and gauges linked above, install air bags. Seems pretty straightforward. 

Even better, just intercept the "control" which may be a little sensor connected to the rear sway bar. Normally the motion of the swaybar going one way when the suspension squats is what triggers the system to add more pressure to raise back up to normal. And when the rear gets high it works the other way.

Disconnect swaybay from control, then control manually, win!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/24/21 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I will dig around under the rear to see what I can figure out. I ha e found very little info on doing anything like this. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/27/21 10:34 p.m.

Still no word from the insurance company. Thanks Farmers. 

I changed the accessories belt and idlers today. Took me an hour. This car is so easy to work in. 

ClemCougarSparks
ClemCougarSparks UltimaDork
11/27/21 11:30 p.m.

You had mentioned (not in the thread here but offline) that you might have a noise in the accessory drive.  Did your new idler(s) fix the issue?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/27/21 11:51 p.m.

In reply to ClemCougarSparks :

I haven't driven it since but I do believe that it did. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8FnSbLdSfMcg4xYWdRevgufye7tfDRjJFNL9qmM4Eo0rM4nWlzYdyaUbWPTL1eYe