1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 84
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/12/22 3:45 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

It's this one but there are a whole bunch of similar ones if you click around.

Thank you for posting that link. Ordered one in black to act as the emergency tool kit in my single cab pickup, and it just showed up today.  Should be much less noticeable to a thief than a tool box when stashed behind the passenger seat.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/12/22 4:33 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I hope it works well for you, it seemed like one of the better ones in terms of zippers and overall quality which might not be saying a lot in the world of Amazon tool rolls.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/12/22 5:32 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Thankfully mine should not take the same level of abuse as one stashed inside a stage rally car, so even if it is not the most durable, it should be good.  laugh

I did notice there was kind of a sharp divide where most were below $30, then the prices tended to jump rapidly to over $100.  My backup tools don't need anything that fancy.

Honda_newb
Honda_newb New Reader
1/12/22 10:06 p.m.

Reading this thread makes me want to build a cheap rallycross beater which is only more solidified because you run in my local region as well. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/13/22 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Honda_newb :

Do it!  I don't get to that many rallycross events any more but feel free to let me know if you need help picking or setting up a car.

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/14/22 5:54 a.m.
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:
slantsix said:

Good Use of probably Out of date Camlock Belts for the Spare tires!

I was thinking the same thing! I need to check my random parts boxes now

I'm in on borrowing that idea. Can't believe that hasn't ever occurred to me. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/16/22 9:31 p.m.

It's snowing again, so I did a bit of a lighting test with our Impreza while it was initially coming down- first driving with the lights the way they usually are, then slapping some yellow tint on them quickly and going out again:

The tint does cut down on the reflection from the falling snow a little, but I could still see better with the lowbeams so when I took the BRZ out I messed with the headlight aim until the lowbeams covered as much distance as possible without illuminating the falling snow enough to cause a hyperspace effect- this works pretty well but I'm still going to hope for clear nights at Sno*Drift.

For tires, I tested the Blizzaks again, followed by the cut Altimaxes, and then Blizzaks up front and Altimaxes on the rear- that last one works as well as I'd hoped and will probably be the default for fresh snow unless it's deep enough to merit taking the Blizzaks off the front.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/22 10:06 p.m.

In hindsight, that makes a lot of sense - the rear would like tires that work well with a degree of slippage, the front would work better with tires that prefer tire and road speed to be more equal.

java230
java230 PowerDork
1/17/22 5:06 p.m.

I know the lights are all pretty mounted, but the lower the better works best for snow I have found. But at some point hyperspace happens no matter what. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/27/22 11:07 a.m.

Well, Sno*Drift is a few weeks away and we're now signed up for 100 Acre Wood as well.  This is mildly terrifying.

We've been checking our spares, gear, etc. and so far the biggest thing we caught was that Sara's Hans device tether was expired, I sure hope we're not missing anything!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/27/22 3:34 p.m.
java230 said:

I know the lights are all pretty mounted, but the lower the better works best for snow I have found. But at some point hyperspace happens no matter what. 

I've thought about this a bunch, since it wouldn't be that hard to move the lightbar mounts or make a second set or whatever.  Ultimately I think I'm going to copy what the fancy cars do, though, and just tint them yellow (fancy teams have different lenses or covers I think) at the last second if there's significant snowfall.  I'm too worried about smashing them if I put all the lights down low- I think it'll be a miracle if the big round cornering lamps make it through the whole event as it is!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/28/22 4:15 p.m.

A hopefully useless piece of Sno*Drift prep- tiny folding snow shovel!

Honda_newb
Honda_newb New Reader
1/28/22 6:25 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I may have to pick your brain in the future then for something cheap that can just have a blast beating on a rallyx course then use as a winter car when needed. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/29/22 7:46 p.m.

More snow, more driving!  Just making sure things feel right since I don't want to be too risky on the road.  The regular white lights are just fine when it's not actively snowing:

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/29/22 8:22 p.m.

One reason I'm hesiant to to Sno-Drift: we literally never get enough snow to do this kind of testing/practice, and when we do the plows around here are so active it's all pushed off in no time, even half an hour into the country.

Plus, salt EVERYWHERE....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/5/22 5:27 p.m.

Picked up a spare transmission since ours isn't totally awful yet but had more metal on the drain plug than I'd prefer:

Nut and bolt check- two weeks to go!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/11/22 1:17 p.m.

Made a little fluid carrier out of a harbor freight case- in theory this will keep the mess minimized if one of the bottles leaks:

I heat gunned and reshaped the underside to sit nicely in the back seat area:

Threaded a couple eye bolts into the original seatbelt mounts and put a ratchet strap over:

Hopefully we don't ever need to open it, but it's nice for peace of mind to have a little extra brake fluid and oil on hand. 

2/11/22 11:04 p.m.

I used to stash brake fluid, oil, and a jug of coolant inside the hollowed-out rear door on the e30. Then some tech guy gave us a hard time and said something about how we couldn't carry fluids. IDK if that's actually a rule or not, but I like your stealth approach. Highly likely I will copy it. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
2/11/22 11:49 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

And if asked what's in the orange box, you can truthfully reply spares.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/13/22 6:57 p.m.

On Friday night we discovered that Downey's car needed an engine so...

Now that that's done, our truck is mostly packed up and we (and team Downey) are hopefully ready to go slide around at Sno*Drift!

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
2/13/22 7:30 p.m.

Lol, Downey’s parents live just down the way from me.   I’m not sure if that’s the same car he used to work on in their driveway but it sure looks similar.  

RedGT
RedGT Dork
2/14/22 9:32 a.m.

....Does that engine hoist have a buncha names signed on it?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/14/22 9:46 a.m.

In reply to RedGT :

It does not but that's a really good idea.

In reply to 11GTCS :

It's the same one, in the sense that the ship of Theseus was always the same boat.

2/14/22 7:53 p.m.

Good luck, guys!

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
2/14/22 8:57 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Cool! Looks like they’re keeping an eye on another really clean one for him now. Good luck this weekend! 

1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 84

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P1KcCCAsCl1HwbUtiQ46GJDTFGmByIBlU41Ucn3gQa0R9bNb8KW31VPntzxXK59v