1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/16/22 10:39 a.m.

Before you install the bowden tube (perfectly square cut end), make sure the nozzle is a half turn loose, then insert the tube, then tighten the nozzle. Heat the nozzle and do the final tighten.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/16/22 2:44 p.m.

In reply to russde :

The first time I tried I didn't realize that part, but last time I put in a new bowden tube I did do that. Maybe aside from heating the nozzle for the final tighten. 

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
3/16/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to russde :

I ordered up some TPU that should get here Friday, so we'll see!

Here's what I need to replace:

I traced the overall shape, scanned it, and the plan is to see if I can extract a face to extrude from. I read something somewhere about folks using later model iPhones for rudementary, but somewhat successful 3D scanning. I don't Apple, so I'm not sure if I can do something similar with my S22 Ultra. Would make things much easier.

There's a brass sleeve in there, but I'm thinking I can do without it if the PETG print works.

10001110101 New Reader
3/16/22 9:37 p.m.

Finally set up the Ender 3 I got our daughter for Christmas. Printing my first Benchy. 

Opti
Opti Dork
3/17/22 9:04 a.m.

You guys are killing me. I was telling SWMBO about a month ago I wanted to get one, and on my own research it looked like an Ender 3 was probably best for me. I got on here to check printing info from the hive and somehow this thread evaded me. I saw it pop up today and read through it and now its time to buy one.

Since a few of you have had these things for a few years, what do you think? Do you still recommend the Ender 3 or maybe the V2, what upgrades would you consider crucial, if any, any dislikes for the machine?

russde
3/17/22 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Azryael :

The brass sleeve is acting as a bushing? If so I would think PETG would work, as it 'feels' like Delrin so is probably self-lubricating.

I've read similar about the scanning from iphones and am a jealous android person. But I figure it'll follow shortly.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
3/17/22 9:35 a.m.
Opti said:

You guys are killing me. I was telling SWMBO about a month ago I wanted to get one, and on my own research it looked like an Ender 3 was probably best for me. I got on here to check printing info from the hive and somehow this thread evaded me. I saw it pop up today and read through it and now its time to buy one.

Since a few of you have had these things for a few years, what do you think? Do you still recommend the Ender 3 or maybe the V2, what upgrades would you consider crucial, if any, any dislikes for the machine?

I had the original ender 3 and now have two of the ender 3 "pro".  The 1st one required a lot of upgrades - glass bed, extruder gears, tubing change, etc - lots of failed prints.  It was $150 back then (I think I got it on woot) and needed another $100+ bucks to make it print reliably.  This new 3 pro I've run half a spool of PLA+ through without issues.  I havent even needed to do anything to the bed (glue stick / hairspray / etc) to make it stick.  I even bought a glass bed but its still in the box.

There are some YT videos you need to watch to assemble it correctly and square, but its not a big deal.

Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
3/17/22 10:38 a.m.
russde said:

In reply to Azryael :

The brass sleeve is acting as a bushing? If so I would think PETG would work, as it 'feels' like Delrin so is probably self-lubricating.

I've read similar about the scanning from iphones and am a jealous android person. But I figure it'll follow shortly.

I too am an Android person, the wife is an iPhone type, but I was not going to cough up for the iPhone with the Lidar that folks use for 3D scanning. However I did sign up for the Creality Lizard scanner Kickstarter so I'm only paying half retail... Looking forward to it arriving, it appears to be a good bit of gear - accuracy down to 0.05mm. There's something you can do with the first gen Xbox Kinect, but the examples I've seen have not been great.

russde
3/17/22 10:50 a.m.

In reply to Gammaboy :

<Takes out wallet and opens a Google search window:lizard scanner>

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
3/17/22 11:57 a.m.

Yeah, acts as a bushing.

Also, I need to look up this lizard scanner myself.

I MAY be getting a newer iPhone through work, but I already have two phones, and a third would be a pain in the rear.

Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
3/17/22 12:01 p.m.

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube from "makers" who got sent early units as part of the Kickstarter marketing. The Making for Motorsport channel one is I think the first one I saw.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
3/17/22 12:14 p.m.

There is a guy doing a   Porsche 996  body. Kit on TicTok that used a iPhone 13 Pro with lidar and an App called 3D scanner app from the Apple store ,

the scan he showed was of his complete car , 

I would like to see how good it works to make a file you could 3D print simple parts.....

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
3/17/22 12:19 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

It would certainly cut down my Fusion 360 time.

Honestly, a 3D scanner and a laser cleaner are two of my biggest wants at the moment.

russde
3/17/22 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Depending on the price difference, I'd go for the Pro...they have some nice features and at least with the CR units, come mostly assembled, which is nice..

Best advice...DONT MOD ANYTHING, at first. Print a bunch of Benchy's, Dogs, Cats, articulating caterpillars, etc until you are super comfortable leveling the bed, and setting your Z offset. Then go crazy. This is spoken as someone who got that advice and didn't listen and took two weeks undoing things to get a baseline from which to start over indecision

Have fun with it, they are a blast, and my grandson loves asking me what I made for him this time.

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
3/17/22 4:09 p.m.

Their new Ender-3 S1 Pro looks really good, but also the Ender-6 which comes already enclosed is equally nice.

I might actually look at their CP-01, however, since it also allows for laser engraving and CNC work. Not sure if it comes with the heads to do either of those additional tasks, but worth the investment, I think.

A resin printer is also in my future, but not sure which, and for what purpose I'd use it.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
3/17/22 10:02 p.m.
Opti said:

If you have a micro center nearby then sign up for their text/email list and get a coupon for a $99 ender 3 pro and buy it.  If you don't and money doesn't matter get the S1.  If money does matter then look at the pro, v2 or the voxelab aquila and get whichever is cheapest.

10001110101 New Reader
3/18/22 2:18 p.m.

Here is my Benchy from the other night. I think it's good overall, but wondering what the shift in the bottom is. Wondering if it's an X axis issue, or maybe something Cura did. Any input?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/18/22 2:50 p.m.

In reply to 10001110101 :

Likely not Cura.  X axis shift is the simplest explanation.   Typically someone bumps it or a cable gets caught on the bed and hangs for a second before dislodged.

10001110101 New Reader
3/18/22 2:59 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I'll do some cable management when I get home, and probably print one of the filament feeder arms so it has a smoother pull, as well as check the belt tension. Thanks for the input!

russde
3/28/22 4:58 p.m.

https://t.co/A0UUlmewlH

Links to Aliexpress sale on Creality printers, some good prices, some meh, just FYI

https://t.co/8YU7sN3sos

https://t.co/pOZiUEn5Yn

https://t.co/F2WvWnzAk1

https://t.co/J2yhNHLvXf

Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
4/8/22 5:40 a.m.

Im not sure who messaged me about the issues with the Creality Lizard Kickstarter (I don't think I have enough posts for PM's or something), thanks for that. I'd received a message from Kickstarter already and did a bit of digging.

Anyway, the legal case is over the software, and the timing of it by the company suing Creality (and Kickstarter) is pretty suspect, and I suspect the KS involvment is because they'd have Buckley's of collecting from a HK based company.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/8/22 2:18 p.m.

Looking at possibly getting one of these to play around as my son never stops printing on his.

Is the one below the right machine, or should I buy directly from the Creality website?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/8/22 2:26 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

You'll end up with an Ender 3.  I personally don't know if there is a benefit from going with Creality of not, I went with a Sainsmart knock off and have been more than happy.
I've also tweaked it pretty strongly, though.

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
4/9/22 11:26 p.m.

I’m pretty excited!

My first 3D print.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/22 2:32 p.m.

So, I'm looking more seriously at picking up a 3D Printer again- now largely because I want to try printing replacement bricks for my LEGO DeLorean to have the body be the metallic color it should be instead of the light gray that LEGO made the kit. Almost certainly will get an Ender 3 Pro both because of the experiences here as well as what I've read about printing bricks in general- but what I'm more curious about (besides how to convince The Dancer that getting it is a good idea...) is if anyone has printed anything out using metallic-colored filament, and how it turned out.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EFQoRSaTwLY3BNGr5JWKlZ3UcZuGX02FrYoi0S3cPa1z1nn9ipMHMO53TFkll4q3