1 2 3
Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/23/20 9:12 p.m.

I'm taking a break from the 2002 Mustang for the rest of the year.

In the meantime I've come to the realization that the closer my cars have been to stock, the more I actually drive them.  I've also been intrigued by the thought of a "trainer car".  A slow, well prepared, and reliable car to go turn laps in. 

Enter my new to me 2007 Mustang.  4.0 V6/5speed, Pony Package, V6 Performance Package, and ALL maintenance records for a measly $4200.  We're going to see how much fun I can have in a slow car on a budget.

The Pony Package included ABS, Traction Control, Mach 500 sound system, and leather seats.  Among other things.

This is the book that came with the car. It has receipts for every single thing ever done to the car since the first oil change at 3,136 miles. It was purchased from Bob Allen Ford in Wichita, KS on September 30, 2006.

Original window sticker.

I threw it on the scales tonight to see exactly what I'm working with.  With 5/8 tank of fuel it's sitting right at 3397lbs.  This should be able to make MiDiv Production A with only 210hp.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/23/20 9:25 p.m.

Contradictory to what I've already said in this thread I'm not going to leave it COMPLETELY stock, but I am going to make it un-stock on a budget.  I made a pretty successful parts run yesterday to a couple friends with S197 parts.  About 150 miles round trip, the car performed flawless and got 27mpg in the process.

At my first stop I picked up a set of 18x10" Track Pack replica wheels for the sum of $40 ($10 per wheel).

I also scored a set of Whiteline Adjustable sway bars and a Ford Performance strut tower brace for an additional $250. 

Stop #2.  A friend I've known since 2nd grade who also has a pair of Mustangs that match my own (a black S197, and a silver SN95).  He has an immaculate 2007 GT that he got our senior year of high school and I think he's polished it enough since then that the entire car is a mirror.  Anyway, he recently upgraded to the 2015+ 15" 6-piston Brembos so I gladly took his old GT500 14" Brembos with rotors and pads for a fee of $250.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/23/20 9:29 p.m.

Great start to the thread, interested to see where this goes. You've done a great job of selecting great mods on the cheap!

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/23/20 9:39 p.m.

Helluva price on those Brembos!

Track day car or looking to start racing?

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/23/20 9:44 p.m.

In reply to trumant (Forum Supporter) :

The goal is to run Time Trials with my built car but I want some more seat time in a slow car before I go full send in that one.  Time Trials could also be in the cards for this car too.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
8/24/20 9:55 a.m.

Yeah, I too am jealous of those low cost Brembos.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
8/24/20 10:16 a.m.

Also, scavenging the plate off your other car will get some negative attention on this car. 

If it were my car, I would get rid of the V6 grill, V6 stripe, and V6 badges. Without those, and with the Brembo pack wheels, it will kinda look like like a bastardized track pack car in a clean and weird way.

browny333
browny333 New Reader
8/24/20 10:26 a.m.

I'm way to obsessed with them

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/24/20 11:16 a.m.

In reply to FatMongo :

I wll get plates for it this week sometime.  Last Friday the DMV's internet was down and I wanted to drive it so I just used the plates off the other car.  If I find a cheap GT front bumper I'll throw it on but my #1 goal is getting on the track,  my #2 goal is to not spend money on this car so I can get the other car on the track, lol.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/24/20 12:54 p.m.
Patientzero said:

In reply to FatMongo :

If I find a cheap GT front bumper I'll throw it on but my #1 goal is getting on the track,  my #2 goal is to not spend money on this car so I can get the other car on the track, lol.

So, I banged around a bit... and it looks like car-part prices for GT bumpers are around $300.  That said, I wonder if it isn't easier to add brake duct holes to the V6 cover?  And, based on the 'mission assignment', that keeping the rotors cool while aid in reducing pad/rotor costs, afaik.

cool project, I look forward to seeing how it develops

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/24/20 1:09 p.m.

I think you also have to change the upper and lower grill, possibly turn signals?  I'm going to buy or make some brake deflectors rather than tubing.  Going to do the same on the other car too.  I drove it once since putting the brake cooling hoses on and already rubbed a hole in one.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/24/20 2:38 p.m.

Hope to see you out in TT next year with either car. I'll be in Prod B with the FRS for Mid Div, so unfortunately we won't be direct competitors.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/24/20 3:42 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Unfortunate for who? LOL  I don't need you beating up on me too, I have enough problems to figure out.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/24/20 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

I'm sure you'll do just fine either way.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
8/25/20 7:13 a.m.

I think that there's a lot more fun and value in V6 cars than folks will speak about. Nice to. see someone taking an interest. 

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
8/25/20 9:07 a.m.
300zxfreak said:

I think that there's a lot more fun and value in V6 cars than folks will speak about. Nice to. see someone taking an interest. 

I love the idea of having a V6 manual S197 around as track pig - however, I think he will end up funneling tons of money into it and thus negate the whole idea of 'budget' in 'budget track build.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/25/20 9:43 a.m.
FatMongo said:

I love the idea of having a V6 manual S197 around as track pig - however, I think he will end up funneling tons of money into it and thus negate the whole idea of 'budget' in 'budget track build.

I feel attacked

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
8/25/20 11:01 a.m.
Patientzero said:
FatMongo said:

I feel attacked

Im just jealous.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/20 1:07 p.m.

I have a GT front grille if you want it. Came off my old track car. Just sitting in storage at the moment and would offer it up for the shipping cost if you want to convert over.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/25/20 3:01 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

If I find a cheap bumper I'll hit you up.  Thanks

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/25/20 3:39 p.m.
FatMongo said:
300zxfreak said:

So far I think he's done a good job of selecting good bang for the buck upgrades that will improve handling/braking without breaking the bank. If the temptation to increase power can be held at bay (should be easier with an LS3 in the stable!), I think this build will be a huge success.

The danger of a V6 Mustang is spending enormous amounts of money in an attempt to have it perform on par with a V8 in a straight line. If you can avoid that temptation, it's pretty easy to find Mustang GT take-offs for other parts that can be swapped in to improve handling and braking. Mustang parts are generally cheap and plentiful!

Very cool project.  I really like the idea of a cheap "no worries" track car, and your pick is on my short-list.

Do you know the weight difference between the V6 and the GT?

What are your plans for suspension?  Cage or roll bar?

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/25/20 6:29 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

I don't know the difference in weight between the V6 and GT unfortunately but it is indeed lighter on the front end.  It's really not much more than my SN95 was stock.  The weight I posted above even has the spare tire and jack in the trunk.  It could be down to 3200lbs with minimal effort.

Unless I talk myself into something else my plan for the suspension is Bilsteins, Ford Racing "K" springs, and the Whiteline sway bars I already have.  I'm also going to do an adjustable panhard which is necessary after you lower it and replace the front lower control arm bushings that are known to have issues.  That's basically it.

I might do a bolt in 4 point bar, might not.   Just trying to keep it simple so I can have fun while I finish the other car.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/29/20 5:24 p.m.

I picked up some more reinforcements today.  I basically bought the wheels and Yokohama's but he threw in the set of BFG's for free.  Too good of a deal to pass up at $700.  These are S197 fitment Forgestar CF5's in 18x11" with Yokohama A052's in 315/30-18.  The only problem is two of the Yok's are flat spotted and the BFG's are about 5 years old but still have plently of tread.  I went ahead and swapped the BFG's over on the wheels and junked the two bad Yokohama's.  I'll buy two more later so I'll have another whole set.  I will also likely swap to different tires on my silver car so the Yokohama's on it will give me a third good set.

Here's a visual in front of the car.

Good size comparison to a big 11 year old.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
8/29/20 5:39 p.m.

Sweet. Did you get those of FB marketplace? I thought I saw that set and was going to ping you about it last week until I saw you got the Brembo wheels.

Nice pick up.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZHGUbBzlV2XFf4oqdq5QMF7FP6jk3It92Id1x6jtyaj6UImS1Rk28AsSSQUkBHDf