1 ... 10 11 12
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/21 8:47 a.m.

Still trudging along...

I had a month off while switching jobs, and an opportunity to have some help, so I targeted getting the kitchen area tiled. This required a new threshold/ handrail, which marks THE LAST bit of pink drywall in the house. There is still some pink on the base of the chimney in the basement, but that's not really living space, so there you go.

I started with some extremely rusted angle iron.

Then, I added "feet" to adjust (guess) for the thickness of tile. 

Then there was the handrail.

And, finally, here's the whole mess welded in place, and painted with some satin black rustoleum.

Problem: the tile, which took 10 days to come in, was wrong when it arrived (totally my fault #@$!^%&*#$#!), so I had to call my Uncle off. With my window of time off closing, I switched gears, and worked on lining and shelving the hallway closet. 

Yep, all cedar. Kind of hard to get a good photo, so here's another.

11/27/21 5:48 p.m.

Still waiting for kitchen tile (its a long story), but We got the hearth done in a mosaic called pescado.

Edit: Yikes, blurry.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/27/21 11:02 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

In reply to superchief :

My girlfriend is almost pathologically against popcorn ceilings, and after the nastiness that was cigarette smoke embedded in the ceilings of this house, I'm not so far behind.

I suspect I'll be in the same boat as you when I'm no longer able to use my tools. No kids, nieces and nephews have no interest. They can always go to Habitat for Humanity, and make someone's day. Again, I sincerely appreciate your kind offer. It's always a pleasure to make a nice acquaintance.

There comes a point in working on your own home where you just call in the pro's. For me it's after 20 years and 31,000 manhours. Age 73  Actually it's after my last fall.   I really came close to buying the farm with that one and it's just because my reactions are slower and I no longer have the strength I used to. 
  Time came to do the knock down on my ceiling( 28 ft in the air )  and even with my scaffolding I knew I wasn't up to the job.  
   Now I've got a shop full  of good used  pro quality tools. Plus over 10,000 bd ft of hardwood lumber.   And no use for them. 
 My girls aren't interested.  I know they are just in my way. But I hang onto them for that one or two projects. 

12/18/21 12:52 p.m.

Tile. 

1 ... 10 11 12
Our Preferred Partners
L5fFx4wZb9hWhGvjG5Md7WbR3QjtKEriTPsvjkf0kBIjR2LxZVKn643e4anqslI4