1 2 3 ... 7
Cooter
Cooter UberDork
2/23/17 9:22 a.m.

Or maybe just DogeVan.

Just picked this '90 Dodge cargo van up from a State of Illinois auction. I actually won the auction in early December, but State of Illinois kinda takes their time with the titles. 200K miles, but it is pretty darn clean. It was used by the radio techs near Effingham, and I believe it was kept indoors. The alternator was cracked and locked up, and burnt through the belts before I could even finish loading it onto the trailer. So that will be the first order of business, along with pulling the running boards off.

After that, I'm not sure. When I first saw it, I was really thinking Dajiban, but now, I'm leaning towards '70s style custom. I had a set of 15x10 slots in 5 on 5 1/2" from my Trailduster decades ago, and found a set of 15x8 a few years ago.

So now I have 2 sets of staggered 8s/10s. One set is for my 2wd Ramcharger. The Ramcharger as I bought it (I wish I could find rear tires like that nowadays)-

(still need to find a International Scout D44 for the rear to tuck the 10s, though) The other set would be absolutely groovy on the DogeVan. Add a little custom paint and longer sidepipes... The Dajiban would be much easier to pull off, but I would much rather DD the '70s style van, though I likely wouldn't do a Star Wars style theme. I would do a similar pattern, and likely in blue. I like the way it looks on the white canvas,and it would cover the minor bodywork I need to do on the van without doing a complete respray. This is where I am right now, well except for the fact I found a cheap Moto Guzzi down in Effingham, and will probably go back there again, but that is another story for another thread... So, Dajiban? Or '70s Custom? Place your bets. Give your ideas. I may not do what you want, but I'll surely listen.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/17 9:33 a.m.

I vote 70's custom with the full graphics package, while somehow working in the "Free Candy" motif.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/23/17 9:35 a.m.

Who doesn't want Free Candy??

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
2/23/17 9:36 a.m.

'70's style custom with Dajiban stance? Win/Win

Ryed
Ryed New Reader
2/23/17 9:48 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: '70's style custom with Dajiban stance? Win/Win

I'll second this motion!

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/23/17 10:07 a.m.

I thought about that. But the whole thing about a '70s custom van is it's SO '70s. Plus, I love slotted wheels. I want tp put them on most everything I own.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/17 10:18 a.m.

Geez that is a long ass pickemup truck

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
2/23/17 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Cooter:

There's no reason that a Dajiban can't have slot mags.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/23/17 10:24 a.m.
Ryed wrote:
HappyAndy wrote: '70's style custom with Dajiban stance? Win/Win
I'll second this motion!

With slot mags and side pipes. Winning all the berkeleying way!!!!

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/23/17 10:35 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to Cooter: There's no reason that a Dajiban can't have slot mags.

It's the stance issue with 10s and 8s. '70s vans need rake. I will likely lower it a bit, but it needs the bigs and littles.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
2/23/17 10:38 a.m.

From Effingham? Nice effing' van!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/23/17 11:00 a.m.

If this van doesn't end up getting slotted mags and a sweet mural airbrushed on the side, I will be extremely disappointed.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
2/23/17 11:27 a.m.

Do both!

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
2/23/17 11:31 a.m.

This thread should obviously be titled "The EffingVan from Effingham"

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/23/17 11:55 a.m.

Put me down for slot mags with a side of Dajiban stance & whatever can make these things handle better than stock, skip the sidepipes and murals please.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/23/17 12:20 p.m.

Dajiban for sure.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/23/17 1:58 p.m.

Dajiban. All the way.

simon_C
simon_C Reader
2/23/17 2:03 p.m.

Dajiban defnitely.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7U2BC5sOltU

Oh yeah, Definitely dajiban for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dF4eH3_hvJg

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/23/17 4:12 p.m.

Hmmm, I'm on the fence about this. It's an old enough style that 70's custom could pull off nicely and it's new enough that it could definitely be a Dajiban.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/23/17 5:47 p.m.

Combine. Do a thing where it looks like the 70s were on the van since then, all aged and worn,and when found, promptly turned into dajiban slUT with no regard for paint. Think van drift missile.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/23/17 5:47 p.m.

I'm voting Dajiban. Sorry, just never could stomach custom vans.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/23/17 7:49 p.m.
NickD wrote: I'm voting Dajiban. Sorry, just never could stomach custom vans.

Which is the exact reason to build one.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
2/24/17 6:26 a.m.

I can't believe this is even a question.

Dajiban.

'70 custom vans were terrible and outdated in the 70's, and they haven't aged well.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/24/17 6:48 a.m.

Again, that is the perfect reason to have one as a DD. My Daily Drivers have included, in no particular order, the above Crew Cab Dodge, the retina buring orage Trailduster also pictured above, an AMC Eagle wagon, a '68 Valiant with the Leaning Tower of Power, an M715 on 38" Boggers, a Challenger convertible with a 440 and 4.56 gears, and an Aries K wagon. Every one of them was reliable, and took the drudgery out of the everyday commute. That is what a Daily Driver is about, IMHO.

Bibs
Bibs New Reader
2/24/17 7:21 a.m.

70s boogie van...but I grew up in that era. Guy around here created a perfect 70s van: tons of flake in the paint, spoiler, tear drop window "Rolling Stoned" graphics painted on the side...I bet he gets pulled over occasionally.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hxz5YfdVzGa7ejvQSmFWIjgrCNtb9WHaTI0dVkY7YF3QSjhLry0djKu2yscjSbfg