1/31/22 9:22 p.m.

New kicks!

java230
java230 PowerDork
1/31/22 10:04 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

That looks like an awesome course! 

How you you like the stick vs cvt now? 

The newer ones are 38 gal, but apparently the fuel pump overheats bad. So only 30 are usable. The rest is in a sump. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/22 6:29 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

The course is very fast and a ton of fun!  I absolutely love the sequential manual in the YXZ.  I'll never even consider another brand (for racing) until someone else offers a manual. 

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/22 9:20 a.m.

The tundra looks great. Looks like a great buy. I have looked at those for a while as a great daily/tow rig. I think they are one of the best options out there. For some reason, that body style doesn't get hit with the Toyota Tax as hard as some of the other ones. I rented a Cummins 2500 ram from enterprise to get the red car and man was it sweet. But at 1/4 of the cost of my home there is just no way... So I may be joining you in the tundra gang before too long. My Xterra is just too modified to do much long-distance towing. 35in mud terrains are getting too expensive. 

See you at the next rally! 

Lof8 - Andy
2/1/22 10:31 a.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

You're right!  I was looking at all the Toyota and Lexus 5.7 options. These tundras seem to be the sweet spot. I personally like the looks of the previous gen better but they can't tow the same. 

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/22 11:13 a.m.

Yup same here. I have a soft spot for that Gen too. But with tow capacity being the primary goal. You made the right call... and man the black paint with those wheels looks A+

Lof8 - Andy
2/1/22 1:44 p.m.
B13Birk said:

Yup same here. I have a soft spot for that Gen too. But with tow capacity being the primary goal. You made the right call... and man the black paint with those wheels looks A+

:) thanks. Just don't look too close. She's got some bumps and scrapes that hide well. 

Lof8 - Andy
2/4/22 3:37 p.m.

Wheee!!

tundra got a trans cooler. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
2/5/22 10:52 a.m.

Nice! My trans cooler is waiting for install.... 

Lof8 - Andy
2/6/22 6:36 p.m.

Got some new skin on the crown Vic. The body is a bit bent where the front door hinges are, which made for a pretty significant gap to the fender. Had to weld on some plate so the fender doesn't get ripped off the first time I trade a little paint. 

I'll be looking to send the Neon circle track car on to a new owner. I really don't make it to the circle track often enough to justify 2 cars for it.  Looking for $3k on the neon with some spare wheels and other parts if anyone wants to give it a try.  There's potential to pick it up for Challenge money if I receipt the spares separately. 

Lof8 - Andy
2/28/22 2:00 p.m.

A few happenings lately.  Got the Crown Vic painted and stickered up (still needs more).  Looking forward to hitting some dirt circle track races in the near future - likely down at Hendry County Speedway, "America's Southernmost Dirt Track".

The Neon was sold to a 15 year old kid, down near my home track of 417 in Punta Gorda.  I'm hoping to see it turning laps some time.  

And last weekend, a SXS racer friend hosted a go kart dirt circle track race/birthday party.  The only rule was it had to be Predator 212 powered.  What a blast!  The gearing on my kart wasn't great, so I've got some improvements to make for the next race.  I did make the A-main but finished in the lower half.  The 2nd kart I brought busted off the LF spindle, but we were able to weld it back and let my buddy keep racing as well.  LOL.  fun stuff!

Lof8 - Andy
4/4/22 8:50 a.m.

Things have been a little quiet lately, but after watching Seth's "Traccord" thread for a few years and never having owned a Honda car, I decided to grab this cheap one that popped up on the marketplace.  It ain't perfect, but its got cold a/c and a 5 speed.  Its a k24 4 cylinder car and has some cheapie coilovers.  Its mostly a backup DD for the wife and I, no real motorsporting plans for it.  I'm going to raise it up a bit and it needs tires and brakes.  Otherwise, it rides great!

Lof8 - Andy
4/20/22 2:51 p.m.

Just received this terrible email from the Firm.  Looks like the Vic will be getting a workout. 

Lof8 - Andy
4/26/22 9:11 p.m.

The smart car was fun for a while but, ultimately, it let me down at its primary event, the Gambler 500. It broke an axle on some pretty basic trails at the Gambler camp, didn't even get to hit the real trails with it :(  so got it home, replaced the axle and sold it for a bit of profit.

I've been eyeing Cherokees for a legitimate off road beater and the same day the smart car left, I went and grabbed this 4wd Grand Cherokee for 1/2 what the smart car sold for. So I've got a little extra to get this thing in shape. It's got a 4" lift. It needs a few fixes and some 32" tires. 

double header rallyx coming up this weekend. I'm going to run the Yamaha with scca in St Lucie Saturday and I've fixed up the crown vic alignment for turning both ways at The Firm Sunday. If I feel real energetic, I may even go watch the drift event at the Freedom Factory Saturday night. We'll see, im not 25 anymore. Ha!

honda got some new brake pads and rotors all around for $130 total from Rockauto and a set of Walmart tires. 

Lof8 - Andy
5/2/22 8:44 a.m.

Wow!  The rallyx double header weekend couldn't have gone any better!  The Crown Vic performed way above and beyond what I was hoping for! 

Saturday was the SCCA event in St. Lucie with the Yamaha.  Rain was in the forecast, but it stayed dry all day.  The course was long and smooth, the best course layout I've seen out there in at least a couple of years.  We had (3) SXSs, highest count for our region yet.  We got (7) 80ish second runs.  I took the overall win and the event renewed some love for the SCCA rallyx events.

Sunday was the Firm event, where SXS participation had been cut at the last minute by the insurance company.  I adjusted the alignment on the untested, $2k circle track Crown Vic and hoped for the best.  On my first run, I put the car in "drive" and it was not very happy.  Lots of shifting between 1,2, and 3 and generally felt like a slug.  So on run 2, I decided to put it in 2nd gear.  That was the magic answer!  A direct link between the 4.6 and the rear wheels meant the straight pipes could sing to the tune of my right foot without any shifting delays.  I believe the car has a welded diff based on the chirping around in my garage and its dirt behavior.  The thing was a freakin blast to rip around the Firm.  It reminded me a lot of my old V8 Ranger, but it handles significantly better.  I was 8 seconds down to a turbo miata at the lunch break, but managed to come back and beat him by 15 seconds for the RWD class win!  What a blast!  I'm excited for the next one!  

Lof8 - Andy
5/2/22 3:16 p.m.

Since this is the Vic's first outing, I'm gonna drop all the pics that show up. :)

Lof8 - Andy
5/10/22 4:25 p.m.

The Miata Champcar has been sitting around since our last race at the end of 2019 without any attention.  I messaged the boys and everyone agreed that it was time to send it to a new owner.  If we get back into Champ, we'll pick a car with some more ponies.  A guy named Jay, from Dallas, drove over to pick it up and will use it for his arrive-and-drive team with some sort of Bitcoin livery, so snap a pic if you see a Bitcoin miata turning laps somewhere near Texas!  I was sad to see it go, but I'm glad to see it'll be racing again and it gives me another storage slot in the shop.  I'll be racing cheap endurance stuff again soon with my 24 hours of Lemons/Civic buddies at NCM in Kentucky in September.

Lof8 - Andy
6/15/22 2:06 p.m.

Motorsporting has been a little quiet this last month, but the fleet has evolved a little more.  The Accord and Grand Cherokee went to new homes and a regular Cherokee has joined.  That's the 4wd vehicle I really wanted in the first place and the "Grand" one had more issues than I wanted to deal with.

added a fire system in the e36 as well. 

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
6/15/22 5:39 p.m.

Looks like a clean XJ. I've owned probably 25-30 XJ's in various forms of driver to parts vehicle over the years, I love them.

Lof8 - Andy
6/15/22 6:30 p.m.
untchabl said:

Looks like a clean XJ. I've owned probably 25-30 XJ's in various forms of driver to parts vehicle over the years, I love them.

Nice!  This is my first one. A buddy of mine had one in Highschool and we put it through hell and it just kept going!  Added some chunky tires to it today. It's got a little surface rust underneath but overall very clean.  

Lof8 - Andy
6/20/22 7:09 p.m.

2nd place at last weekends rallyx. :/

added some tree kickers, 'cause I'll be taking it wheel-to-wheel racing soon  

My Dad asked if I wanted to take possession of the 914 that's been sitting stagnant in his garage for 9 years, I said "Sure!"  I don't have any immediate plans to mess with it but he's also got a 6 cylinder in his garage to go with it. I suppose I'll learn to fix rust and make a 914-6 somewhere down the road. 

Lof8 - Andy
6/26/22 8:55 p.m.

I mounted up some wider and taller snow tires on the rear of the Vic. Should net some better (dirt) acceleration and a little higher top speed before the rev limiter kicks in while locked in 2nd gear. I hope they don't suck too bad on the Firm's asphalt corner sections. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
6/26/22 10:50 p.m.

Any idea what the next firm rallyx course is going to look like?  Debating rolling the dice with the 3 series transmission or take the Z3 and hope it isn't too bumpy.

Lof8 - Andy
6/27/22 7:11 a.m.

In reply to ojannen :

I haven't seen any posts to preview the track. I feel like they've been getting lazy and just re-using the Nitro course, but I'm hoping they go back to some of the old sections for this one. 

Lof8 - Andy
7/7/22 9:10 p.m.

RWD class is looking light this weekend for the Firm rallyx, but running against a 2015 911. That should be interesting!

1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cx4sK1omAQDaLs6iBzOWnC9SKfJ3h19NueZgw4zVsn07i2PRTBqPSmApNsuFYs8Q