1 2 3 4
Gambit
Gambit New Reader
5/9/22 7:23 p.m.

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
5/13/22 8:45 p.m.

Mint

Got 2 sets of these and bolted them in, drilled through the floor and used big washers and nylocks, got a kit off of eBay for the seat bolts, somehow they were the right thread pitch to just bolt into the seats. 

I sacrificed leg room for a little bit of reclining to save my back. Well worth it. Once the seats are a little broken in they're gonna be mad comfy.

Got rid of the crappy carpet that was only on the front half of the rubber mat? Weird. I vacuumed it out and it's pretty nice underneath, need to wipe it out with a wet rag to get the gravel dust off it.

Center console is probably next if I can find one. Need a 98+ auto 2wd. 

Solid 8+ inches for custom subwoofer box?

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
5/26/22 7:43 p.m.

SUBWOOFER

WIRING

ITS RAINING.. which sucks. Seems like it's done nothing but rain in Missoura. Don't want to wire the 12v in the rain.

Got the Skar IX-10 D4 200/400 W 

Amp is the SK-M5001D 500 W

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
5/27/22 7:03 p.m.

Absolutely thumping.. major shenanigans will ensue. Doesn't compare to some of my friends cateye with 2 12s or a 2008 focus pushing 1200 watts to 2 12s but it's actually reasonable to listen to music with, which is everything I needed and wanted

Things to do:

Remount amp

Clean up wiring

Clean floors detail interior

Undo middle seatbelt setup (may have to wait, forgot star bits at school)

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
6/4/22 3:08 p.m.

Remounted amp under passenger seat.. cleaned up the wiring.. it's somewhat visible as I ran my remote wire and rcas through the shifter floor mat hole but it's all ziptied together and coiled where it needs to be do it looks nice. fuse went under the jack and jack cover so that's hidden too. Cleaned the floors and she's good to go.

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
6/13/22 6:04 p.m.

Mmm love when it's 100° and the ac decides it doesn't want to switch to the main doors.. at first thought I had a leak, but luckily I just did HVAC in school so I was just able to look through and pinpoint the controls not having vacuum

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
6/28/22 8:37 p.m.

Alright small ish update..

Blew the sub up... 500 watts from the amp does not go to a 200/400 watt sub well.. lasted me probably 2 weeks before it started clipping really bad. Basically ignored the break in period because it is my first experience with a sub. Got it returned before the 30 days so I will spring for the 500-800 just to keep it safe. 

Got a job so truck budget went up but free time went straight down. Off this weekend so I'm going to try going to the junkyard to find sway bars (what size should I be looking for?) and possibly a bravada front bumper. I'll be ordering the lowering kit in the next week or so. Have been trying to decide what I want to do with wheels.

I really like these, I don't know if I've seen another s10 with anything like that. Will probably need 1" spacers. Everyone I've talked to says 5x120 will fit on 5x4.75 no problem but my question is do I need to get adapters just to be safe?

I'm really torn between these two. I really like white wheels so the top ones are what I think I'm going to get. They're basically the same price after special ordering from aodhan. 

Luckily I'm not gonna spring for these for a while so I can just stew over it for a few months.

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
7/29/22 8:42 p.m.

Got em for $250

Achtung dm11s

5x120 15x8 et25 

Kinda beat but in gonna refinish them to the best of my ability but it doesn't matter because I'm gonna daily them so I won't feel bad about beating on them more

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
8/4/22 9:09 p.m.

Anyone have any primer and paint suggestions?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/4/22 9:42 p.m.

I use duplicolor wheel paint and ckear. Been happy with it. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/4/22 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Gambit0117 :

I used the bug deflector until it was cracked by a big rock.   Removing it I picked up Very close to 2 mpg on a full sized version. Your smaller truck ( which I admire greatly ) probably would only save 1 mpg. 
      I've a friend in New Mexico who is now going on  430,000 miles with only one clutch replacement.  Skilled careful drivers will get 250,000 before replacement is needed. 
  He is careful about changing oil on schedule. Using synthetic he runs it to 5000 miles before oil changes. But once 1/4 quart low he adds it back.  
     Brakes he's getting close to 80,000 miles before replacing pads/ linings.   Goodyear wranglers require replacement at the same time.  The truck is on the original alignment. But he uses it mainly on freeways. As you know the roads in New Mexico tend towards terrible to dirt..   transmission is flushed at 60,000 miles  differential is flushed at 100,000 plugs never go more than 50,000 miles. Or gas mileage suffers.  Air filters are 30,000 between replacement. and he carefully wipes the cleaner housing when replacing. 
  His goal is a million miles and I believe with his attention to maintenance he has a chance. 

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
8/4/22 9:52 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Yeah I never drove it with the big shield, I need to get a bed cover to pick up 1 or 2 more mpg.. maybe hit 25 mpg. 

Gambit
Gambit Reader
8/10/22 7:42 p.m.

Have one completely painted white. Took a can per wheel basically, gonna let it cure for a bit and then clear over. Got the second ones barrel painted using what was left of the first can

Also perfectly good center caps.. PO didn't peel off the protective film for some reason. Deciding if I want to keep this or do red center caps 

Gambit
Gambit Reader
11/6/22 9:23 p.m.

Yikes, been a while.. finished the wheels after a few months, just kinda lost motivation not wanting to spend a grand on tires and lowering kit at the moment. It started leaking coolant out the back of the block, im assuming freeze plug as it's random wether or not it will leak a little nightly. Haven't had the time to yank the transmission to replace it but it's not a huge deal but annoying. Been debating getting a beater and swapping it, or getting something else and just continuing to beat on the s10. Thinking into the future but what swaps other than a 4.3 wouldn't require a transmission/rear end swap, just an engine harness whatever. Could I 350 swap it with the s10 t5? Currently my optimal plan is 5.3 or 6.0 with a ar5 out of a solstice. Ive rebuilt ax5s out of wranglers at school and from my understanding they are related so I wouldn't be unfamiliar if I need to resynchro it. I have built LSs but never swapped one. This is probably my best bet but also the most expensive. My problem is I think I'd have to reengineer the suspension and put an 8.8 in. What's everyone's opinion? I would definitely destroy the rear end with anything more than stock power of what feels like 60 hp

Gambit
Gambit Reader
11/13/22 12:41 p.m.

4/4 drop arrived

Coolant leak much worse with current Missouri weather. Might be dropping the trans and replacing freeze plug tm at school and lowering kit tuesday. Any opinions on rubber freeze plugs?

Gambit
Gambit Reader
11/15/22 11:32 a.m.

Low low

Had a hiccup with brake caliper pins right as we were finishing up yesterday so the s10 got confined to lift jail last night because the teachers won't let us drive home on something sketchy.. good thing because the alignment was off by 3° toe in opposite directions.. got that taken care of pretty quick with some tie rod adjustment 

New lower ball joints, sway bar end links, spindles.

To do: brakes, wheels, tires

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
11/15/22 11:47 a.m.

That might be the cleanest S10 I've seen, they have all rusted away here...

Gambit
Gambit Reader
11/15/22 12:17 p.m.

In reply to automotiveflux :

Other than the dented and beat to crap bed and the door dings and the repainted fenders and bumpers and mismatched tailgate it's mint.. don't think PO could see very well

Gambit
Gambit Reader
11/25/22 3:14 p.m.

Got brakes and wheel bearings done. Power stop calipers and the evolution ceramic pads. Messed with test fitting the wheels, will probably need an inch+ spacer as it was sitting on the tie rod

Gambit
Gambit Reader
4/1/23 11:02 a.m.

Whoo boy.. long time no update. Finished school up, started a full time tech job at a huge off road shop. Decided I wanted to finally put those wheels on. 1.5 spacers all around and the cheapest ebay tires I could find. Cat imploded so I moved a glasspack there and one of my dads old v6 mustang mufflers at an axle dump

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/23 11:30 a.m.

That looks slick. I see white wheels and the upkeep of keeping them clean terrifies me.

Gambit
Gambit Reader
4/3/23 8:01 p.m.

Yeah the gonna ceramic them and just power wash them off weekly 

Gambit
Gambit Reader
4/21/23 11:10 p.m.

Bracket delete...

Bolted in half an f250 bumpstop we had lying around the shop

Rides way smoother.

Anyone have any tips on a t5 and vortec 350 swap into this rig. Might fall into what I assume is a Camaro non world class t5 and vortec 350. I think I can run stock rear end and driveshaft till I blow them up and then swap to 8.8 or blazer limited slip rear end. Front end wise I think I just need a radiator, headers, intake, carb, clutch, motor mounts?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/22/23 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Gambit :

The "trick" to putting a 350 into the S10 is to use the Corvette short water pump and accessories. It will be crowded but bolt in.  
    If your radiator is in decent shape. And you are reasonable you can get by with the one you have with minor  adjustment.
  Yes,  watch the  temps but the trucks will live at anything below boiling water.  That's 212 degrees, unless you have a pressurized system ( which you do )  then it will take 235 degrees.  Once you add antifreeze the boiling point gets to 250 degrees. 
   The trouble is where the temp is measured.   In the center of the engine temps are much hotter than where the temp sender is located.  
   So as a general rule try to stay under 225.  
   Since you have a T5 already, that too will survive if you are sensitive.  Dump the clutch?  Plan on dumping the transmission as well but if you are careful it will last a very long time.  Long enough to save money to buy something that will take the abuse. A T 5 from a Camaro is stronger than the T5 in an S10. Then there are aftermarket transmissions that will take a lot of abuse.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/22/23 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

If you are looking to keep air conditioning, a thin electric fan is a good idea.  Even if you aren't, it'll give you more room to work with.  A 4.3 radiator or a C4 radiator should do fine.  I'm not sure if 2nd gen S10s suffered as much as 1st gen models, but getting the air to go through the radiator is the big issue.  Don't get rid of any of the front end pieces made to direct the airflow.

A non-WC T5 likely won't hold up to much abuse behind a 350(heck, even a WC one would be marginal if you go drag racing), but if you baby it enough, it'll stay together.  A third gen Camaro T5 will have a different tail shaft housing due to having the torque arm mount, but it should fit under the s10 fine.  Someone else please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the third gen T5 canted a little bit towards the driver?  Not sure if that will cause a problem.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p4ld8FqZbGafAoOcixZydTu0Hp7CLqXkiOp57tfrP5rkeahiqgRf2zzRRFcd6Uy7