1 ... 18 19 20
irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/26/22 8:06 p.m.

I told you you'd make it home fine lol. If your car made all the noises that my rally car makes when it's just driving down the road, I suspect you would never drive it at all ;)

---

Also in Nick said he was worried, he means it. He called me on the road when I was about 30 miles ahead of him with my race car on the trailer seeing if I could come back and swap cars on the trailer and tow him home ;) of course if you had had to drive my rally car home, he would have thought his car was very civil by comparison lol.

---

Side note number two: stop freaking buying multiple miatas and buy yourself a trailer and a tow rig and minimize your stress. ;)

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
4/26/22 10:01 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

I told you you'd make it home fine lol. If your car made all the noises that my rally car makes when it's just driving down the road, I suspect you would never drive it at all ;)

Yeah, no E36 M3.  Why would I want to drive around a car that has all the refinement a garbage truck?  That's why I've made the compromises I've made so I can enjoy my car the other 30 days of the month.  The difference is your noises are normal, mine was not.

---

Also in Nick said he was worried, he means it. He called me on the road when I was about 30 miles ahead of him with my race car on the trailer seeing if I could come back and swap cars on the trailer and tow him home ;) of course if you had had to drive my rally car home, he would have thought his car was very civil by comparison lol.

I think you underestimate how loud my diff was.  I've been in your car, it had nothing on this thing.

---

Side note number two: stop freaking buying multiple miatas and buy yourself a trailer and a tow rig and minimize your stress. ;)

Nah, I'm good. laugh

They're multiplying....and evolving.

4/26/22 11:03 p.m.

I mean trust me...I spent the whole last event hitting cones and driving badly because I was staring at my temp gauge climbing to 250* every 5 seconds of every run. I understand worrying about things lol. Sometimes just gotta send it until there's either smoke or the car simply stops, and deal with the consequences at that point. 

Don't forget I dove to events for years long before my car was caged, stripped (and after!) and had more than one time when I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it all the way home from Frostburg (like when my cat was clogged and the car would almost die whenever I went up any hill, which made it a 5-hour trip home from Frostburg, or like the time when my brake warning light came on when coming down the big hill into Cumberland (line had sprung a leak), so i drove 30mph most of the way home in the right lane, mostly using the e-brake and downshifts when I had to slow down. So I know the boat you're in. 

4/26/22 11:04 p.m.
95maxrider said:

Yeah, no E36 M3.  Why would I want to drive around a car that has all the refinement a garbage truck?  That's why I've made the compromises I've made so I can enjoy my car the other 30 days of the month.  The difference is your noises are normal, mine was not.

---

I think you underestimate how loud my diff was.  I've been in your car, it had nothing on this thing.

---

Nah, I'm good. laugh

John England is currently selling his 2-time national champion turbo Miata. Just sayin.........if you're trying to expand the collection lol. 

moxnix
moxnix Dork
4/27/22 12:00 a.m.
95maxrider said:

---

---

Nah, I'm good. laugh

John England is currently selling his 2-time national champion turbo Miata. Just sayin.........if you're trying to expand the collection lol. 

Ask mike if he would recommend it. 

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
4/27/22 8:49 a.m.

Meh, I'm not really into FI stuff.  I think the ideal Miata is one with a K24 swap and ITBs cheeky

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
4/27/22 8:52 a.m.
moxnix said:

IIRC Mike was pretty underwhelmed by the car and its apparent heatsoak and blown suspension.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/22 10:01 a.m.
moxnix said:

The condition of the car is definitely not why it has won two national championships. 

4/27/22 10:20 a.m.

Yeah I have heard about it from Mike. I was being semi facetious there about buying it, since I assume Nick heard about it from Mike as well.

My goal here is to get Nick into a car that is not as good as what he currently has. Duh. Lol

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/27/22 10:49 a.m.
95maxrider said:

Meh, I'm not really into FI stuff.  I think the ideal Miata is one with a D25 swap and ITBs cheeky

devil

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
5/5/22 5:20 p.m.

Alright, so we had rally-x #2 this past Sunday, but before I get to that I need to update what happened before that.

While the car was incapacitated in my garage waiting for a new diff to be built, I had some time to do other things that would normally be ignored, like replacing the brake pedal switch.  I've been getting warnings on the little computer screen about this thing for over a year, so it was high time I finally resolve the issue.

Took me a long time to realize the engine has to be running so you can press the brake pedal down far enough to push the new switch into place.

I removed the seat to make the job easier, which gave me the opportunity to do a few tasks I had been putting off.  First up was redrilling the mounting holes on the seat bracket plates so allow the seat to sit further away from the steering wheel.  I'm only 5' 10" and I have to have the seat pushed back all the way to be comfortable.  After drilling new holes, the seat now sits 1.75" further rearward, which should allow taller people to drive the car if necessary.  While I had everything apart, I decided to clean up those plates and paint them.  But before I did that, I decided to make them a little safer.  IIRC, my good ol' country buddies were the ones who originally made these brackets back when I had the E28, and the welds for the nuts left a little to be desired.

Now that I have a welder, I figured I could try to make them a little stronger.  This was far and away the thickest material I've welded on, and it was really nice not having to worry about blowing through it all the time.  I'm sure these welds aren't perfect, but they sure look a lot better than what was there before.

Then I got carried away trimming off excess metal from the plates and smoothing out the edges, until they went from this:

To this:

Hooray, that project is finally done!

While the seat was out, I bolted the b pillar trim to the pillar, as all of the plastic mounting tabs were broken and the only thing that's been holding it in place are the door rubber pieces.  It ain't going anywhere now!

I also "rebuilt" the gas pedal bushings.

And insulated the new big ground wire in the engine bay:

I was also waiting on a new alternator to arrive, as the first one I got from FCP Euro had threads that looked like this:

The alternator and rebuilt diff didn't arrive until the afternoon before the race, so I scrambled to get everything back together.  Thankfully the charging system seems to work great, and my diff is nice and quiet.  Mark at Danville Diffs located a 3.23 to replace my 3.38 and built it back up with new bearings and 3 clutch packs.

1 ... 18 19 20
Our Preferred Partners
g8qZ4T9f4dum3t8Jp76pozQ942K8uOLLR6dmMhRLI3Fc4rbts61VsedX7yFq9GAZ