1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader
7/24/22 4:16 p.m.

Shiny object showed up yesterday.....old fan and radiator weighed @27.4lbs...new setup weighs 8.8lbs total.....fan is probably junk as far as airflow...SPAL in the future...

Was out of town last weekend and family get together this weekend....more progress will happen tomorrow....

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader
7/25/22 7:01 p.m.

Worked on new intake for turbo today.....just taped together in pics as I have to add some tubing between the elbows and middle section for proper spacing on the head.

Water cooled .60 trim Garrett T3 with .48 exhaust housing to replace the antique Crane turbo.

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader
7/25/22 7:02 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader
7/25/22 7:03 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader
7/25/22 7:03 p.m.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/22 10:08 p.m.
TurboFource said:

That's some ingenious clamping. I'm going to need to remember this someday. 

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
7/27/22 5:54 p.m.

Did I mention I started out as an aircraft machinist and welder in the US Air Force and worked on the SR-71, U-2/TR-1, KC-135 and T-38 aircraft? Also been a welding inspector, rebuilt high speed manufacturing equipment, made custom made industrial agitators and worked briefly for Drummond Race Cars doing machine work.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
7/27/22 10:05 p.m.
TurboFource said:

Did I mention I started out as an aircraft machinist and welder in the US Air Force and worked on the SR-71, U-2/TR-1, KC-135 and T-38 aircraft? Also been a welding inspector, rebuilt high speed manufacturing equipment, made custom made industrial agitators and worked briefly for Drummond Race Cars doing machine work?

Look, the project alone is more than enough to entice me to read this thread...but those nuggets you're sharing by showing your clamp/jig rigs are pure gold. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader
7/29/22 5:14 p.m.

Got my shortened valves back from NAPA machine shop, great price and speedy service!

Reclocked compressor housing and turbo seems to be in great shape internally smiley

Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
7/29/22 7:09 p.m.
TurboFource said:

Did I mention I started out as an aircraft machinist and welder in the US Air Force and worked on the SR-71, U-2/TR-1, KC-135 and T-38 aircraft?

Based at Beale at a guess?

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader
7/29/22 7:17 p.m.

I was there from '85 to '92

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/8/22 4:14 p.m.

Finished intake flanges and started welding stuff together...

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/8/22 4:15 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/8/22 4:15 p.m.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/8/22 4:25 p.m.
TurboFource said:

That's nice work.  But it leads me to a question...

The diameter of the single port end of the "Y" is the same as the diameter of both other ports.  That means the inlet is only half the size of the outlets.  Will you have sufficient flow?

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/8/22 5:51 p.m.

The inlet is slightly larger than the outlet on the turbo and same size as CD-175 carb I am using....pressure is a good thing...according to the Aussies this carb is good for 250hp draw through and more blow through....

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/9/22 3:32 p.m.

SV reX,

Thanks for the observation and feedback! If this was going to be naturally aspirated you would be right!

I appreciate anyone's feedback....sometimes we are too close to the project to see things clearly.....

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/11/22 4:25 p.m.

Trying to reduce flow bias to the outside ports since they are siamesed...made intake port vanes..they go into the siamesed port about 3/8" or so ..,.. Ready to weld....

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/11/22 4:26 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/11/22 4:27 p.m.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/22 4:49 p.m.
TurboFource said

Water cooled .60 trim Garrett T3 with .48 exhaust housing to replace the antique Crane turbo.

Dang that might still be pretty laggy on that motor. Is it ball bearing or journal bearing? 

Awesome build so far!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1BKrAvJu0e4oYDabhdAvbIMExuijY3jCxpxbrVy5O3MLmbIptbCBuCOQGuQ1y5yD