1 ... 3 4 5
Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/11/19 10:48 p.m.

Sounds real nice yes

BrianC72gt
BrianC72gt GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/19/19 1:11 a.m.

I just cought up on this great thread and wanted to mention that old fuel lines and ethanol blends are not compatible.    I think the U.S. started adding ethanol to their summer blends in mid 2000's.

Lots of older fuel lines will swell up and rot in the presence of ethanol.  Faster with E85/E100.  Your builder used the right clamp (worm drive on fuel injection is a big no no), but make sure it's also the right hose.

Love the build and your perserverence.

Regards,

Brian C.

BTD
BTD Reader
5/1/19 9:56 p.m.

Thanks for reading! I've honestly been pretty terrible about updating the thread, and need to get back into it. The fuel leak issue wound up being a poorly seated washer at the connection point. It has since been resolved and has been rock solid since. 

The car is now what I would consider "finished" from a swap standpoint. Why, you might ask? BECAUSE MY A/C WORKS!!!!!!!

Seriously, having working A/C is something that I had been struggling with this build. After multiple attempts by the shop who did the swap and by me, I couldn't fiure out the problem. Took it to a different mechanic (who is awesome), and he was able to get everything fixed up right. It wound up being a custom line that was routed too tightly, causing a rupture and a leak of the refrigerant. Stupid, yes. 

Previously the cabin got super, super hot when driving...probably a function of the coolant lines running through the trans tunnel combined with a black car and no real tint to speak of. Unbearable in the summer. Now with the A/C, I can safely say that I've had the first comfortable drive in the vehicle. It's really turning into my vision, basically a baby Evora on a budget. 

I also had the chance to tidy up the engine bay, which is looking pretty factory (save for the chrome intake pipe):

I was also able to reorganize the garage and get the MR2 into the two-car side. I just picked up a Eurovan, which I've decided should have its own home on the small bay side of things. Next steps are finishing the wheels (almost done at the powdercoaters), having a full paint correction/detail done, and having proper window tint added. We're getting close...

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/7/19 11:24 p.m.

As a south texan, adding AC to a black car takes its relevance in May (through Octoberish) from 0 to 100. Plus this thing is cool in other ways. Cant wait to see it after wheels and paint correction. yes

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/19 8:38 a.m.

If you autocross this thing, what class will it wind up in?

BTD
BTD Reader
5/17/19 12:28 a.m.

The wheels have been an exercise in frustration. The original powder coating shop did a terrible job. I paid for a "smooth brass" finish and the wheels came back with more orange peel than a fruit farm in Florida. The shop tried to claim it was because of the semi-matte finish, despite their show piece for that finish being as smooth as a baby's bottom. They refused to fix the issue and I had to dispute the charges with my CC company. 

The wheels are getting dropped off at a different powder coating shop tomorrow. Here's hoping they can get them looking right, because I'm very excited to see them on the car. 

Brett_Murphy said:

If you autocross this thing, what class will it wind up in?

For SCCA classing, this should fall into Street Modified due to the engine swap (from the same manufacturer). Locally we have a class that is essentially CAM but for non-American cars, which is likely where I would run it. 

BTD
BTD Reader
8/20/19 12:04 p.m.

Hi all,

just wanted to give an update - the MR2 is now up for sale. I've decided it's time for the next adventure, and for a new owner to get to enjoy this machine. Thanks to everyone who has followed the build!

The sale thread is here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/fs-colorado-v6-swapped-1991-toyota-mr2/158081/page1/

In preparation, I had the exterior professionally cleaned, though it could still use a paint correction. 

BTD
BTD Reader
5/17/21 3:36 a.m.

You know that feeling when you break up with someone, but months later you still can't get them out of your head? 

That's me and this car. 

Long story short, I made the dubious decision to repurchase this car from the enthusiast I sold it to ~2 years ago. I've often read you shouldn't buy old project cars back, but I just couldn't let this one go. Too much blood, sweat, and tears have been poured into it. Looks like she's mine for the long haul!

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/17/21 8:53 a.m.

Been there before. If you sell it a second time you'll know you're really done with it . Enjoy! 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
5/18/21 11:17 a.m.

If you decide to sell it a second time... I want it. Even if it's a couple of years from now look back on this thread and hit me up. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
5/18/21 4:32 p.m.

It was meant to be. Keep us posted on updates on this one

BTD
BTD Reader
6/21/21 11:16 a.m.

First update since buying the car back - new (used) steering wheel. This one is from a later model Corolla S. It's in OK shape, but certainly better than the OEM MR2 steering wheel that had been re-wrapped poorly. It's slightly smaller diameter as well, which is a nice addition. 

Also had some work done by a local shop to install the oil accumulator I've had sitting around for ages. Currently just running the manual valve, but the OCD in me will probably swap to an electric valve sometime in the future. Should help protect against oil starvation on the track though...which these V6's are known for. 

New wheels are on the way - went with RPF1's and the new Continental ExtremeContact Force 200tw tire. Should be a great setup once they arrive at the end of the month. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
6/22/21 8:49 a.m.
Matt B (fs) said:

If you decide to sell it a second time... I want it. Even if it's a couple of years from now look back on this thread and hit me up. 

In my inability to hide my vulture-like instincts I forgot to say congrats on getting her back.  A V6 SW20 seems like a Goldilocks setup for me.  While turbos are fun, I appreciate the linear power delivery of the little NA 4AGE in my AW11.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I wish more was on tap sometimes. 

Anyway, following for updates.

BTD
BTD Reader
6/29/21 12:06 a.m.
Matt B (fs) said:
Matt B (fs) said:

In my inability to hide my vulture-like instincts I forgot to say congrats on getting her back.  A V6 SW20 seems like a Goldilocks setup for me.  While turbos are fun, I appreciate the linear power delivery of the little NA 4AGE in my AW11.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I wish more was on tap sometimes. 

Anyway, following for updates.

Thanks! It's a really fun car to drive. Since you have an AW11, you might appreciate my friend's build: 1986 MR2 V6 rallycross build... Aw(11) yeah....

Anyway, one minor update on the MR2 over the last weekend, a new front lip. This is just an eBay 1993+ front lip with mounting brackets from MR2Heaven. I was really impressed with the brackets, and honestly I don't think the lip ever would have fit without them.

Honestly, the lip is pretty "meh" quality, but I think it turned out OK for what it is. A bit of inconsistency with how it lines up on the driver side, only because the last owner scraped the bottom of the bumper hard enough to make it not quite OEM levels of straight. Still, good enough to where the average person probably would never notice. 

BTD
BTD Reader
7/15/21 11:16 a.m.

Another quick update: suspension refresh #2 is live. 

When I owned this car previously, I replaced pretty much every bushing and joint on the suspension with new parts. I also installed a used Koni/Pro-Kit combo that was in so-so shape. The latter, I think, is causing a clunking noise, so I'm currently in the process of putting some new Konis and top hats on the car, along with cleaner strut housings that haven't been spray painted bright red. Got everything taken apart yesterday, with plans for it to go back together this weekend: 

Also, while taking apart the new strut housings, I had a very interesting surprise pop out during disassembly - a rare set of TRD Tokicos! 

Unfortunately, these are pretty toast from a damping standpoint, and being sealed I don't think they're rebuildable, or if they are then I'm not sure it's worth the cost. Still, a pretty neat surprise to have pop out of what was otherwise a normal looking set of strut housings. 

BTD
BTD Reader
7/20/21 1:08 p.m.

A very silly update...some old friends are back: 

I'm really going all-in on finishing this car as I had intended to last time. The centers of these were refinished during my last ownership, but have started to degrade due to a poor job by the last shop. I'm having them re-stripped and will be refinishing them again. All of this is happening in the next two weeks, as the goal is to drive this car out to CA for car week. Wish me luck...

BTD
BTD Reader
9/2/21 2:42 p.m.

I completely forgot to update this thread! Trip to Monterey Car Week was a smashing success. The car did 3,250 miles with zero hiccups or issues at all, and managed to keep up with my friend's GT4 along the way. Hard to argue with that kind of reliability in a 30 year old swapped car. 

More photos coming soon...

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Px52ME527Hm88QPPjolFIQZUtKesyxEtuORgIFJGYUw2Od42zHwDZbrxyBp1csJ