1 2
te72
te72 HalfDork
12/26/22 2:11 a.m.

That's fair Keith. Flex lines definitely have larger radiuses, and calculating the length of the lines does take a bit of math / guess work. I suppose if you're competent enough to do hard lines, that would be ideal. I'm not above saying my skills lie in other areas, so I went with full length flex lines.

Can confirm that threshold braking can be a bit tricky in this car, but I would almost attribute that more to the parking lot surfaces we play on, around -3.5° camber in front, and a lack of a proportioning valve on my car, than I would to the lines themselves. That and I tend to come in as hot as possible, I don't lift until my nose hits that finish gate. There have been a couple pucker moments, for sure. =P

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
1/9/23 5:39 p.m.

Not too much done this week.  But here are some teasers.

Clearanced the transmission to clear starter.

Finished wiring steering wheel controls.  Have an extra circuit, maybe high beam flash or horn..

Brakes about 90% sorted.  Trying to find a dual or quad sensor setup for feedback and tuning of non-power ABS.

Next... sort out locations for things like turbo, electric pumps, coolers etc..  

Turbo: Rear mount or Above Passenger's feet?  With my big rear end, ground clearance for two 2.25", or one 3" tricky..  

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
1/9/23 5:41 p.m.

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
1/9/23 5:42 p.m.

I need to get a heat gun.  All my shrink fits look like my old crack pipe.

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
1/9/23 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Have you tried the "Steel It" products?   I am still one the fence, 2 part paint, powder, or rattle can..

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
1/9/23 5:53 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

Yeah the seats are a pain.  My seats have plenty of room if I need to widen 1-2", but am hoping the slimfast kicks in.   Right now I can see the issue with height, as I may need to raise up a bit for elbow and visibility.

My seat mounts are about 5" back from norm which puts the sub harness just in front of the rear seat bar on frame.  The standard belts will be moved back 6-7".  The shoulders will probably need tabs welded to bolt on, to allow height adjustment if I ever decide to "Hans." 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/23 6:48 p.m.
bonjo2 said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Have you tried the "Steel It" products?   I am still one the fence, 2 part paint, powder, or rattle can..

I have not. I've used POR-15 on a frame, that worked pretty well. The nice thing about something like paint is that you can touch it up - especially important for a car that's liable to be a bit of a rolling science experiment. Powder is the show car solution, paint is the working car solution.

te72
te72 HalfDork
1/24/23 10:25 a.m.
bonjo2 said:

In reply to te72 :

Yeah the seats are a pain.  My seats have plenty of room if I need to widen 1-2", but am hoping the slimfast kicks in.   Right now I can see the issue with height, as I may need to raise up a bit for elbow and visibility.

My seat mounts are about 5" back from norm which puts the sub harness just in front of the rear seat bar on frame.  The standard belts will be moved back 6-7".  The shoulders will probably need tabs welded to bolt on, to allow height adjustment if I ever decide to "Hans." 

Fortunately I'm only maybe 5'10" with helmet on, so I still have plenty of room to the top of the cage bars. I did set the passenger seat as low and far back as possible for the sake of my taller friends, who, I'm pleased to say, fit reasonably well, considering.

If I were to have an unpainted chassis in front of me to do it again, the sub belt tab would be welded on the next bar back, to get the buckle out of my inner thighs.

On the exhaust front, have you considered a transition to oval piping, off of the down pipe from the turbo? I was going to do that for my Supra when I planned on creating a flat floor.

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
1/24/23 10:41 a.m.
te72 said:

Seat fitment... ugh. How Exomotive got this so wrong is beyond me. Two issues come immediately to mind. One, the cross rails are spaced for stock Miata seat rails. Have you ever seen one of these with stock seats? Likely not, because stock Miata seats are less than ideal for a Miata. You NEED a proper seat of some sort for an Exocet, full stop. Problem here is that the sliders they sell, as well as seemingly most seat brackets, won't cover the distance between those rails. So you have to make adapters. Just one more step that really should be done during production. Better yet, add a third cross rail so your seat can bolt up properly.

Seat mounting issue number two is a bit more bizarre. If you are able to get your seat to mount to the included tubes, your ribs are basically right on the outer "door" bar. Perhaps not a huge issue on an autocross car, but where there's traffic, I want a bit of space between the squishy bits and the bars... so my seats are mounted up and as close to the transmission tunnel as possible. This has the unfortunate side effect of making it difficult to adjust harnesses.

Speaking of harnesses, would be better if the sub belt mounting point was on the rear bar as opposed to the front. Being so close to where it mounts to has the side effect of leaving the sub belt's buckle sit between your thighs, not particularly comfortable.

Allllll that said? Once you get the thing sorted out in the slightest, you'll be having too much fun to really care about the hurdles you overcame to get there. On that note, to the OP, I suggest wearing brown pants. Even in BP form, at least in autocross situations, these things are a riot. You're crossing a full threshold of silliness here, and I fully support you in that pursuit. =)

Mount the seat to bars connected to the outside bars.

That way in a impact the seat will move with the side bars, rather than the side bars pinching into the seat.

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
2/1/23 2:35 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

I'm still trying to sort out the location of the turbo.  I was hoping rear center like an f1 car, but may have to do it behind right front tire, like the Dusold Camaro (Pikes Peak).    I now regret not spending another $300 for smaller twins, as they are much easier to fit.

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
2/1/23 2:40 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

Yeah.  It looks much safer than my previous sevens, esp with a carbon/kevlar seat, and huge gap of a trans tunnel.  I will more than likely add a bit more to side impact safety or raise seat to get my hips protected.  I do not want to shatter the old Elvis Pelvis and break any more ribs and human internals... Again.  6 months in wheelchair sucked!

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
2/1/23 2:47 p.m.

finally buttoned up the transmission...  I had dropped and cracked the HIS accumulator (start stop thingy), so instead tapped the hole and plugged it.  Ran one more Valve body function test, and everything checks out OK.  Now to find the 10mm bolts to mount trans to motor

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
4/17/23 3:13 p.m.

Not much happening.  Managed to sort out brakes using mostly off the shelf stuff, with a minor mod to rear brackets and small spacer/washer for fronts.  Took forever due to brake pad shortage, since Nov 22.

Motor placement pretty much set.  Planning to do the turbo like this on passenger side. 

Slow going since eye surgery and now having to do more physical therapy--from Nov 2021 accident in the seven.

bonjo2
bonjo2 New Reader
4/17/23 3:20 p.m.

At least the lawn Ferrari running.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZVbhvX3Ki3kndkn4SRXUWyrwwgTVL74T4A7I4gA4J0qnaD4PoWyuyo3daUHTCR3H