1 ... 14 15 16 17
alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/30/13 10:29 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
thestig wrote: To me the appeal of this car is its exocar weight and feel. I want a motorcycle with 4 wheels. If you wanted something along the lines of that then you should look into the bauerltd catfish.
But I want a body of my choosing, I don't want a kit car body, either. I really like the engineering that went into the chassis. More than that, I love how we got to hear the details of that engineering.

Exactly.

While I appreciate how you look at the car, 'stig, I see it very differently than you do. A well engineered means to carry a very cool body. If you just have the car appeal to the uuber raw, then what you can sell to is limited.

The major change would be to figure out how to make doors.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
9/1/13 10:21 a.m.

Well, Caffeine and Octane went great this morning. I can also empirically state that XP-3 is fast enough to thoroughly embarrass a Murcielago from a roll.

Will there be any sort of evidence for this incident? Never.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
9/1/13 10:58 a.m.

Am I wrong to think that this is a good home for this motor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SHO_V8_engine

Needs proper headers and ITBs!

Weighs something like 325 lbs!!

Warren v
Warren v Reader
9/1/13 5:07 p.m.

Messin' with launch control and second gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWLzas2xx5Y

Warren v
Warren v Reader
9/4/13 2:08 p.m.

Pretty good for a 155k mile motor and 2.5" exhaust!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/13 3:08 p.m.

That's what happens when you turn up the boost

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/5/13 1:00 p.m.
Warren v wrote: Messin' with launch control and second gear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWLzas2xx5Y

I can only imagine with a good launch how much quicker you could make that.

Going so low in the RPM's in 2nd is surely outweighed by the time spent shifting 1-2, no? Or is it just so hard to hook first up with out lots of clutch slipping.

Fresh, warm RS-3s should help big time as well.

But you know all this already.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
9/5/13 1:39 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Yeah, the Ho-Hos have probably 25-30 cycles on them by now, and they were near-ambient during those runs. The second gear launch was mainly because there's something wrong with the clutch hydraulics and shifting is very difficult (I got very lucky with good rev-matches in the cheesewagon video). I think the new slave cylinder is actually faulty (Keith, don't worry, you didn't grenade third). Also, first gear was unusable with those tires on the moist road. We've been too busy with catching up on production to give XP-3 the love it deserves.

I am pretty confident that swapping the Ho-Hos for new rubber will get it under 3.5s. With softer rear springs, putting the driver seat back where it should be, working clutch hydraulics, willingness to roast the clutch a little, and a solid road surface, I think 3.0 flat is an achievable goal. 3.9 felt positively slow and was a game of managing wheelspin. According to my phone's accelerometer, XP-3 can pull a solid 0.9-1.0g at 50mph in third gear when the Hoosiers were warm. That's significantly more than I expected, especially with the 53.6% weight distribution. She hooks hard. The people that have ridden in her have been blown away. Amusingly enough, the added weight of a passenger balances out nicely with the added traction (at least up until 60mph or so).

We're going to go with NT-101s in 205 width. 225 is too much tire, they just stay cold all the time. (Yes, officially the SM6s are 205, but they measure 230mm wide)

Warren v
Warren v Reader
9/8/13 8:50 p.m.

XP-3 had a great weekend. Saturday was spent driving all around North Georgia with the Atlanta Mazda Owner's Club.

Timelapse of the first leg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_auECfEnRE

When we got back to Roswell, we handed her off to the guy that made all the crazy laser stuff accessible. Apparently he had some fun with her today:

Subtle.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/26/13 5:12 a.m.

Great day at AMP yesterday. My first HPDE; so much fun. Here's a video of the formation/sighting laps I took in the morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29erChol2EQ

Zach Skolnick of Driven Steering Wheels came down from Charlotte to hotshoe for us and give a bunch of rides in the afternoon. Couldn't have gone better, after tightening a loose alignment bolt, we didn't touch anything but the gas cap. New springs (350/225) and a reasonable ride height helped a lot.

Moar photos and videos to come. We'll throw them on the Exomotive Facebook page.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
10/26/13 12:06 p.m.

Awesome - I wish i'd been there!

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/28/13 3:06 p.m.

This is from the other customer car that was at AMP with us. Not bad for playing in traffic and shaking things down. The ring is 1.5g.

We plan to go back to AMP on a member day to actually set some times. We were in the mid 1:30s with lots of traffic.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/28/13 3:57 p.m.

And here's the first video of an actual session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIc1J-rGGwY

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
10/28/13 7:01 p.m.
Warren v wrote: And here's the first video of an actual session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIc1J-rGGwY

I'd much rather hear the motor than the music...

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/28/13 7:53 p.m.

Workin' on a set of hotter laps without music.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/13 9:31 a.m.

At least you have good taste in music

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/29/13 9:51 a.m.

The next video features screamo-country, just for you.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/13 10:04 a.m.

That BOV is interesting. Is that the Turbosmart provided by FM?

Keith Tanner
10/29/13 10:11 a.m.

Should be.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
10/29/13 10:29 a.m.

Yeah, we didn't change it. It's actually recirculating back into the intake since we didn't want to go out and get little baby filters during the build. It's loud enough as-is. Not having a real engine bay will do that.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/13 10:51 a.m.

Recirculating is the better setup anyway. It can help reduce lag, and backflush the dirt out of your air filter

Keith Tanner
10/29/13 10:53 a.m.

Ha! I'm gonna use the backflush story.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/13 10:54 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Recirculating is the better setup anyway. It can help reduce lag, and backflush the dirt out of your air filter

I'm not sure i buy that one, sir.

I found out this summer while at FM that my air filter was actually supposed to be red, not black.

And my old GFB is recirculated.

MYTH BUSTED!

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
11/5/13 9:04 a.m.

XP-3 will be getting a little facelift.

Rhyno
Rhyno None
11/5/13 10:49 a.m.

Well first off I want to thank everyone involved in this thread you guys are the reason I joined!!! Secondly my wife does not like you all now because I want an exocet now lol. Anyway amazing build guys looking forward to watching you guys take this to the extreme!

1 ... 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
79ZWA3i6DZ5YuYJ7pd94J0zBUOVXv384HuzFIhzJIKrvq1Qlc3AheH2gTuPUA7JU