1 2
NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/17/20 7:16 p.m.

Saturday night took the Pathfinder and headed for Bancroft, ON to assist with the running of the MLRC Polar Bear Winter Rally. This is a Navigational Rally that runs from 10pm-7am on public roads. All speeds are below the speed limits by at least 10%. 

Truck was awesome except for the Charging warning light coming on and staying on. Checked it with a voltmeter and I was getting 14.1V at idle. Battery is 12.7V with the truck off. Not sure why the light is staying on. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/17/20 7:34 p.m.

It just clicked that that was you running some of the checkpoints, we've never met in person but I've followed your threads on here. We had a radio in the car (I was navigating Car 1 with Darrin in the dark grey STi) and at some point someone asked you about the new pathfinder. Thanks for volunteering so we could have fun mostly staying on the road. I made a comment in the morning about us all dying if there was a fire at the fish and game club due to the trucks being parked in front of the doors, I have a feeling you were the one that made a comment that you wouldn't have a problem pushing us all out lol.

Adam

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
2/18/20 5:21 a.m.

I grew up in Fenelon falls, Recognized the car wash, Hasty market and Signatures restaurant. 

Small world.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/18/20 6:07 p.m.
adam525i said:

It just clicked that that was you running some of the checkpoints, we've never met in person but I've followed your threads on here. We had a radio in the car (I was navigating Car 1 with Darrin in the dark grey STi) and at some point someone asked you about the new pathfinder. Thanks for volunteering so we could have fun mostly staying on the road. I made a comment in the morning about us all dying if there was a fire at the fish and game club due to the trucks being parked in front of the doors, I have a feeling you were the one that made a comment that you wouldn't have a problem pushing us all out lol.

Adam

Yup that was me. I really do try to meet some of the folks on here in person if I get a chance. Next time say hi if you get a chance!! Name is Dave.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/18/20 6:10 p.m.
warpedredneck said:

I grew up in Fenelon falls, Recognized the car wash, Hasty market and Signatures restaurant. 

Small world.

Yeah I work in Peterborough and bought a house here just about a year ago. I like it here. 

Houses in Peterborough are just too much.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
4/7/20 8:56 p.m.

Saturday I finally felt like getting back to this. I had a replacement EVAP canister but I knew the old one wasn't coming out without a fight. One bolt out and 2 snapped off. Drilled and re-tapped the mounting holes. 

While I was in there a took a look around. Damn!

Both rear coil springs are shot. Off to RockAuto. 

I decided to go for a drive and see if the CEL came back on. I stopped for some take out. Something felt funny. The truck kept wanting to creep forward and the brakes didn't want to hold.

Headed home and about 20 km from home I realized I had no brakes!! Limped it home with the e-brake and checked around. Rear axle is soaked in brake fluid. One of the lines is rusted and failed.

This is what playing in the sub$1K used car market is like in rust country!!

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
4/13/20 8:52 a.m.

Well I didn't get anything done on the Pathfinder this weekend but I did clean up and organize my garage!

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
4/19/20 11:49 a.m.

Rear coil springs arrived and were installed.

BTW before any non-rust belt folks start freaking and suggesting I scrap it, this is as close to rust free as a 16 year-old vehicle gets up here!! 

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
4/19/20 11:51 a.m.

Found the source of the brake fluid leak. This isn't going to be fun to fix.  Just in front and above the rear diff. 

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
4/19/20 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I think you're thinking of the 05+ Pathfinders/Frontiers/Xterras with the 4.0 engine.  Those are the ones that had the issue with the trans cooler & radiator failing and causing trans fluid and coolant to mix.  These 3.5 ones didn't have that issue. 

Boy am I spoiled with no rust!  My CR-V is pretty rusty for Virginia, but it's probably only 25% as rusty as your truck!  It's still cool, though, I'm glad you got it for a good price and are getting use out of it, they really are great trucks.  My dad lives in Ottawa and I grew up in Nova Scotia, so I totally understand the life of rusty cars.  Keep on keeping on, I'll be following along!

Oh, and Old Man Emu definitely makes stuff for these.  My buddy has one like yours with OME springs and 31's.  Very capable truck.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ALx6US9mZuH0Of2iQd03n0vfFkOZenynPBpXPSTV9PNI6NJXZOcVoGzca4FK5kv7