1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/19 7:15 p.m.

Hold up. With no charging system your ignition system is working from 12.something volts and not 13-14.something.

Where does spark "blow out" first? High rpm....

Try gapping the plugs down. If the rpm limit goes up, you've got your problem.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/19 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Agreed. I run a motorcycle battery in the racetruck, and it doesn't have the reserve capacity to light the ignition under load without a good alternator on the truck.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/19 9:48 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Even if it's a lithium ion and connected to a tender while running? Maybe I should try jumpering it to a car battery to see if it revs higher?

I agree it's sounding a lot less like fuel now. 

Robbie
8/25/19 10:28 p.m.

Maybe connected to a running car, but I think you need the extra volts not the extra current capacity.

Do you have a spec for what your system should be volts-wise with engine idling? 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/19 6:12 a.m.

Do some due diligence before jumpering a Li-ion to an automotive battery. I have seen multiple instances of bad things happening in this scenario.

Maybe best to pull the Li-ion out of the bike while diagnosing these symptoms. 

maschinenbau
8/26/19 5:50 p.m.

Hooked it up to a fully charged pretty new car battery, bypassing the li-ion moto one.

Still no change. Guess I'll throw on the stock igntion just to see.

maschinenbau
8/26/19 6:34 p.m.

No, wait! Breakthrough! I think I'm using the wrong type of HEI module.

http://gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/Ignition/HeiModules/HeiModules.html

According to this write-up and the test procedure, I bought the "0.00V" type of HEI when I should have bought the DR100 "1.25V". Something to do with the dwell change vs RPM. Amazon had mine listed as DR100, but that must have been an interchangibility thing. Parts cannon loaded, from a real parts store.

Robbie
8/26/19 7:55 p.m.

I have strong suspicions you found your issue.

maschinenbau
8/27/19 6:07 p.m.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! She's alive!!!

https://youtu.be/ekfdvZJ4zRk

It was just the ignition module all along. Pro tip: if you're going to sketchly modify an 80's motorcycle with GM car parts based on a Geocites-era write-up, make sure you read the whole damn thing. I swapped out the HEI modules with genuine Autozone (Wells) DR100 units, and it immediately revved to everywhere. Pulls hard in every gear well on up to 70 and beyond. It still doesn't charge, so I'm range-limited like an electric car, but the other 2/3 components of the charging system are on their way, including a regulator that is li-ion friendly. 

Thanks everyone for playing along and for all the helpful advice. Not sure where else in the world you can post 4 pages of picture-less troubleshooting and get this much help in return. I'm just so happy.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/27/19 6:54 p.m.

Rad. So glad it's running. Be safe and be awesome. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/27/19 7:51 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

That's great. Have a go pro for riding video?

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
8/27/19 7:56 p.m.

Butterflys and a Honda rat (damn good lookin') bike.......the universe is at peace........love this

Robbie
8/27/19 9:59 p.m.

Yes!

maschinenbau
8/28/19 8:38 p.m.

More moto+mural. 20 miles, got up above 80, nice ride overall. I like this whole motorcycle thing.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/28/19 9:28 p.m.

Nice. Very nice. 

And not to poop in the party but be sure not to push it too hard until you’re confident the carbs are tuned fairly well too. Lean conditions are bad mmmkay. 

Be safe, keep partying. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/29/19 5:46 a.m.

Now that you're riding it, any planned modifications based on how the bike feels?

maschinenbau
8/29/19 8:04 a.m.

The seat foam is too soft, so you're basically sitting on hard aluminum. Not sure how to remedy that.

The bar-end mirrors actually work very well!

Brake MC leaks a little and generally needs replacing. I ordered a new one along with fresh front pads.

Charging system still needs fixed, but showed no signs of low battery after 20 miles. Those parts arrive this weekend.

It's a little vibraty but that could just be an old Honda rat bike thing. Or moto thing in general. I've never done this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/29/19 8:12 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

On the seat, I've been cutting pieces out of the same cheap yoga mat for years now to add layers to motorcycle seats- firm enough to add padding where needed, thin enough to contour easily.  Most seat covers are just held on with big staples or rivets.

Vibration is pretty common, as long as it's not making anything go numb I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I know it looks cool with no fenders, but if you anticipate riding in the rain I would at least do something minimal on the front.  The rear wheel will soak your back but that's not really a safety thing, the front will fling water straight in the air and give visibility issues- at a minimum, a fat shoelace tied between the forks just above the front tire will actuall stop a surprising amount of spray.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/19 8:19 a.m.

You could take the cover off and replace some of the foam with kneeling pads or anti-fatigue mats. Or find an upholstery shop and see if you can get some small offcuts of high density foam?

maschinenbau
8/29/19 8:25 a.m.

Thanks!

I'd also like to add a cute girl to the back of the seat, but I'm not there yet with my riding skills. Or girl skills.

Robbie
8/29/19 8:40 a.m.

I have a chuck of upholstery foam from jo Anne fabrics that is leftover from a bench seat project. I can bring it to the challenge if you want it.

No help on girl skills, but according to my wife, a motorcycle jacket really helps.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/19 8:52 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Parts cannon loaded...

Hah! Love it. Glad you figured it out!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/29/19 9:28 a.m.
Robbie said:

I have a chuck of upholstery foam from jo Anne fabrics that is leftover from a bench seat project. I can bring it to the challenge if you want it.

No help on girl skills, but according to my wife, a motorcycle jacket really helps.

Can confirm, my wife totally fell for me when I was wearing a motorcycle jacket. Still have it. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
8/29/19 9:53 a.m.

Slick yur hair back.....and sport a snear.....(Marlon Brando 'The Wild One' )

maschinenbau
9/2/19 7:48 a.m.

Friday I rode to work for the first time, about 25 miles round trip plus lunch. I brought the battery tender with me and charged between trips. I also got a promotion this week, so I'm the boss now, and I'll park wherever I want.

JK it's inventory week and the whole warehouse was empty Friday. 

Later I got the stator and regulator/rectifier installed. Now showing increased volts when you rev! This R/R is designed to work with lithium-ion batteries, so it stays under 14V and won't set my crotch on fire. I hope to test this new fuel-limited range function extensively.

I also noticed the right side pipe is smoking a bit. Looks like it's burning oil on #3 or #4. I already knew it smoked from riding at night and seeing it drift across the headlight at stops, but just thought it was leaking somewhere and burning off a pipe or something. I'm not too worried about it and will just keep an eye on oil level. It runs STRONG.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zaLhqAOpINlPFuBT69Woeym98Vc1HV5emPvJuG8FWu1ayH5NfkufJ5MzZawxpwkB