1 2 3 4
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
9/9/20 2:53 p.m.

OHHH you might get out of California sales tax since its a relative !

Let me know when you want to sell it  :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 4:18 p.m.

Well full detail done. Clay, compound, polish, sealant. Amazing how good lexus paint is, after 17 years still mint. Our previous experience were all Ls/sc/lc, but nice to see great paint on the entry level lexus. 

Due to it being a white car, hard to tell, but at least going forward will be Easy to maintain. 

of course it will be fully garaged in our possession and continue to live a pampered life. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 4:19 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

OHHH you might get out of California sales tax since its a relative !

Let me know when you want to sell it  :)

I was going to use the "gift tax," but wasn't sure if they will KBB it. IF they do, I have another idea to dodge taxes devil

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/10/20 10:34 a.m.

Well gave it a nice long drive this morning. Wallowy suspension and all. It is to be expected. Runs very smooth. Of course in the mountains of Angeles Crest, isn't where this vehicle shines.

Ended the drive, with a Starbucks Coffee (haven't had one in 2020 yet), and car was perfectly at home in the drivethrough. However, only to realize this thing has HUUUUUUGE turning circle. Oh my!!! If I take my FJ Cruiser to same driveway, I have to take really wide turn, not to hit the curb. Of course I had to go OVER the curb to make the turn in the RX. I am sure mother would be VERY disappointed, that I have taken the beautiful RX OVER a curb!

Very happy that the 03+ model has the 19+ gallon gas tank, vs the smaller earlier tanks. However, now that I know the immensely huge turning radius, gonna have to be much more careful!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/11/20 10:28 a.m.

Research always leads to bad ideas. I have no need to make this an offroad beast, as I already have the FJC. However, I have been thinking of upsizing the tires to AT/MT 235/70/16, as we will use it as winter/farm vehicle when season comes. 

Which led to finding these local RX. Guys are running a 1.5 inch - 2 inch lift. Of course then you start looking at new wheels for the tires.... 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
9/11/20 12:24 p.m.

If it was a beater, I'd fully support turning it offroad. However, that's not the case. you have a well taken care of, reliable, sought after SUV. Lexus's hold their value. well taken care of lexus's really hold their value. If this isn't the vehicle for you, turn a hefty profit and call it a day. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/11/20 1:32 p.m.

No beater here- I owned one of these and it refused to die, even running on 5 cylinders. Last I heard it had a junkyard engine swap and continues running at over 300,000 miles. Kinda wish I still had it- or any Lexus, for that matter.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/20 1:33 p.m.

My mom loves these things. She has had a couple. For a cuv they set the bar. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/11/20 1:40 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

If it was a beater, I'd fully support turning it offroad. However, that's not the case. you have a well taken care of, reliable, sought after SUV. Lexus's hold their value. well taken care of lexus's really hold their value. If this isn't the vehicle for you, turn a hefty profit and call it a day. 

Yes, it is very well taken care of and nice SUV. "Sought after," I would have to politely disagree.  My mom is alive. Car will remain in our house (whether it being used or not), and it will not be sold as long as she is alive. Wouldn't be fair to "flip it," as she gave it to us as a gift. With a dealer license, I flip enough on BAT and others during the year. This will have to be immune for the moment smiley

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

My mom loves these things. She has had a couple. For a cuv they set the bar. 

Guess your mom, my mom, and most women are all in the same category. smiley Never owned a Camry or a CUV, but this seems to be both of those cool​​​​​​​

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/11/20 1:42 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

No beater here- I owned one of these and it refused to die, even running on 5 cylinders. Last I heard it had a junkyard engine swap and continues running at over 300,000 miles. Kinda wish I still had it- or any Lexus, for that matter.

Since you owned one, need to pick your brain. Any things to look out for on these? Aside from glass transmissions I can't seem to find anything. 

• Ordered some cabin filter and air filter for it. 
  • Debating to do coils when I do spark plugs next week, since the rear coils (transverse) is so hard to get to. 

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
9/11/20 2:28 p.m.

Planetary gears are what goes out on the tranmissions.  There is an aftermarket component available that is more robust.  Same issues with the ES300 / Camry / Highlander

Sometimes if they make a whining noise and cease forward movement you can get lucky with a filter and fluid swap.  At least enough to get a few more miles out of it.

Rear cylinders tend to get egg shaped / use oil and cause catalytic deficiency codes.  This comes more with age however.

Lexus originally did valve cover replacements under a service campaign to alleviate sludging issues, but if you use a quality synthetic, you'll be fine.  Factory fill was conventional Pennzoil

Rear driveshaft u joints can go bad, and are not serviceable, at least to my knowledge.  Usually replace the entire assembly.

EVAP canisters like to go bad.  Sometimes you can get away with replacing just the vacuum solenoid (VSV)

Regular timing belts /water pump services.

Occasionally the VVTI (Oil control solenoids) will go bad, making an entire bank misfire.  Easy to replace

With age in the midwest, cv shaft tone rings will rust and split, leading to inconsistent application of ABS on braking.  Mostly the RR and LR axles

Rear diffs can sometimes get noisy, though this is rare.  My sister's car grenaded some pinion teeth.

Source: Dad is a veteran (15+ year) Lexus Tech, sister has driven one for years.  Dad upgraded to a RX400H

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/11/20 2:46 p.m.
HotNotch said:

Planetary gears are what goes out on the tranmissions.  There is an aftermarket component available that is more robust.  Same issues with the ES300 / Camry / Highlander

Sometimes if they make a whining noise and cease forward movement you can get lucky with a filter and fluid swap.  At least enough to get a few more miles out of it.

Rear cylinders tend to get egg shaped / use oil and cause catalytic deficiency codes.  This comes more with age however.

Lexus originally did valve cover replacements under a service campaign to alleviate sludging issues, but if you use a quality synthetic, you'll be fine.  Factory fill was conventional Pennzoil

Rear driveshaft u joints can go bad, and are not serviceable, at least to my knowledge.  Usually replace the entire assembly.

EVAP canisters like to go bad.  Sometimes you can get away with replacing just the vacuum solenoid (VSV)

Regular timing belts /water pump services.

Occasionally the VVTI (Oil control solenoids) will go bad, making an entire bank misfire.  Easy to replace

With age in the midwest, cv shaft tone rings will rust and split, leading to inconsistent application of ABS on braking.  Mostly the RR and LR axles

Rear diffs can sometimes get noisy, though this is rare.  My sister's car grenaded some pinion teeth.

Thank you SO much for the details.

1) What mileage did your sisters car grenade the pinion teeth?

2) The car has 152K miles now. Tranny seems ok so far. Lexus dealer did trans fluid at 40k. 90k, 127k, 145k. 

3) Car had 02 sensors replaced bank 1 at 100K miles. 

4) Car has had synethetic oil all its life. It has not had a valve cover replaced under the service campaign. Any particular synth you recommend?

5) At 145K canivster valve hose was replaced

6) At 145k miles, the steering shaft boot was removed, cleaned and lubed. 

I just pulled the above from the records from the dealer. Aside from brakes/tires/oil changes, other big service was the water pump/timing belt/pulleys.   

The diff/transfer fluids were replaced at 100K. Brake fluid has been done every 40K miles or so. Power steering replaced twice. Radiator replaced twice. 

No rust underneath. 17 years in Ralegih, NC. Now will be in So Cal. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/20 3:49 p.m.

Looks great stock as is. I wouldn't put 33s and a lift on it though. It's like seeing guys with Subaru Outbacks with the same stuff. All it does is makes it worse at commuting and still bad at actual offroading. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/11/20 4:01 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Looks great stock as is. I wouldn't put 33s and a lift on it though. It's like seeing guys with Subaru Outbacks with the same stuff. All it does is makes it worse at commuting and still bad at actual offroading. 

Even my FJC doesn't have 33s. LOL  (285/7016)

I get your point on the RX. Probably best to maintain and keep it stock. Current tires are 225/70/16 (28.4 inch). With all the free tires, mom gave, probably don't need tires till 80K more miles (if it lasts till then).   I would go to a 237/70/16 AT (29.5) inch  tire, if I ever need to change, and that is only 1.1 inch total more diameter. It can't go any taller, due to the rear strut issue. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/12/20 5:30 p.m.

Changed the hood struts today 

dealer wanted $218 from my mother 2 weeks ago. 

total cost for me: $14.50. Took 15 minutes 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/12/20 6:34 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Since you owned one, need to pick your brain. Any things to look out for on these? Aside from glass transmissions I can't seem to find anything. 

• Debating to do coils when I do spark plugs next week, since the rear coils (transverse) is so hard to get to. 

HotNotch nailed it. Mine failed because it was going massive 500+ mile round trips each week for 5 months straight at over 220,000 miles- valve finally gave way.

The 1MZs sludge oil if it's not changed regularly, but nowadays we have Amazon Basics and other cheap synthetic options- I do a Pennzoil or other great synthetic for the first two changes to get the crud out, then cheap Amazon basics/Kirkland synthetic all the way. Make sure the tone rings aren't rusted in place so future jobs are far easier.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/12/20 7:35 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
mr2s2000elise said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:

HotNotch nailed it. Mine failed because it was going massive 500+ mile round trips each week for 5 months straight at over 220,000 miles- valve finally gave way.

The 1MZs sludge oil if it's not changed regularly, but nowadays we have Amazon Basics and other cheap synthetic options- I do a Pennzoil or other great synthetic for the first two changes to get the crud out, then cheap Amazon basics/Kirkland synthetic all the way. Make sure the tone rings aren't rusted in place so future jobs are far easier.

Thanks! Will stick with the pennzoil

i use their ultra and shell rotella  in the fleet 

so it makes it Easy 

I expect to see 5k a year of usage max on this 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/13/20 9:03 p.m.

GIRTHQUAKE & HotNotch

Quick question for you guys:

I read about all the sludge. Of course internet reading, makes you go crazy. 

Signs seem to be:

• Smoke at start up (my car not doing that)
  • Smoking at hard acceleration (not doing that).

Aside from opening up the head, or measuring oil burning (driven 300 miles so far, not enough yet), is there anything else I should look out for "as sludge issues?"

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
9/14/20 12:34 p.m.

Not really any other issues.  In my experience they go thru oil like the Exxon Valdez or they don't burn any at all.  About the best way is to pull the valve covers.  But I wouldn't be too concerned until you put some miles on it and take a look at the oil level.

Regarding the pinion teeth: it's uber high mileage (I think pushing 300k, it let loose at maybe 260000?) My sister drives pretty aggressively also.  I've not seen another one, or heard of another that has sheared the teeth.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/14/20 12:50 p.m.
HotNotch said:

Not really any other issues.  In my experience they go thru oil like the Exxon Valdez or they don't burn any at all.  About the best way is to pull the valve covers.  But I wouldn't be too concerned until you put some miles on it and take a look at the oil level.

Regarding the pinion teeth: it's uber high mileage (I think pushing 300k, it let loose at maybe 260000?) My sister drives pretty aggressively also.  I've not seen another one, or heard of another that has sheared the teeth.

Thank you SO much. Very much appreciated. 

Ok, I will keep checking the oil after the driving, to get an idea on oil usage. I plan to drive 400 this week, so I will be at a 1,000 mile by end of week. 

Pinion teeth sounds like might not be an issue for me. My mother (is a grandma), drove it like that. I also drive like a grandma :) 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/14/20 4:02 p.m.

Well received wrong pearl white  touch up color from lexus dealer today  - so couldn’t do it 

Was going to do the cabin and air filter. Air filter is 2 weeks old doesn’t  doesn’t need it 

However, boy the cabin filter was dirty !!!

spandak
spandak HalfDork
9/14/20 9:33 p.m.

Oh my. I'm surprised anything was coming through the vents at all!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/14/20 9:55 p.m.
spandak said:

Oh my. I'm surprised anything was coming through the vents at all!

No kidding! What surprised me, in the 17 years, as many upcharge/sales Lexus Stealership have done on this car to my mom (of course she agreed to every single one), they NEVER upcharged the cabin filter? Say it ain't so!!!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/15/20 8:19 a.m.

That doesn't mean they didn't charge your mom for it...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/15/20 9:18 a.m.
docwyte said:

That doesn't mean they didn't charge your mom for it...

Very true doc!

I have been going through the paperwork slowly. I am trying to tally up what she spent total at the dealer 

an keeping an eye so far on cabin filter . I had gone through 2003-2010 so far 

10 more years to gothrough angrycrying

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nZj3h6YXP4nGFO8vinYRKPwIM9cwi5CqlE5UPIppicPZSdg9L0ZVhIGJPJsWY4hR