1 2 3
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/22 9:19 p.m.

First start in over a year!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/22 9:39 p.m.

How have I missed this thread for so long?  Looks like a great car and project!  Much improved from the Lust mobile!

dyintorace
8/1/22 10:36 p.m.

We're almost ready to get it back on the ground. Then it will be time to actually do some testing!

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
8/2/22 10:14 a.m.

Did the car have any modifications to the rear beam to center the wheels in the wheel well? That was a thing with earlier VWs that were running really low, and probably won't be necessary since you've raised the car. Also to get the car to rotate in corners, you might want a pretty mild swaybar up front but something fairly stiff in the back, maybe put a Golf bar up front, GTI rear.

dyintorace
8/2/22 10:27 a.m.
dannyp84 said:

Did the car have any modifications to the rear beam to center the wheels in the wheel well? That was a thing with earlier VWs that were running really low, and probably won't be necessary since you've raised the car. Also to get the car to rotate in corners, you might want a pretty mild swaybar up front but something fairly stiff in the back, maybe put a Golf bar up front, GTI rear.

It did. Fabless re-center plates were installed, along with camber shims behind them. We removed all of that.

Thanks for the suspension tips! I've been looking for a GTI rear bar but have not been able to track one down yet. The Mk4 stuff seems scarce unfortunately. 

dyintorace
8/20/22 6:05 p.m.

First drive!

First drive

dyintorace
8/20/22 6:09 p.m.

And, thanks to an awesome guy named Judson, we have a free front swaybar from his Mk4 337 project. And he threw in his 337 front calipers too. He is building an incredible AWD Mk4. He grafted in the rear section from an Audi TT and is having a monster 1.8t motor for it. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 6:31 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

1) I missed the burn out part.

2) I could probably Stampie rule you guys a nitrous kit.

dyintorace
8/22/22 5:40 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to dyintorace :

1) I missed the burn out part.

2) I could probably Stampie rule you guys a nitrous kit.

Burn outs in due time.

Text to be sent regarding NOS!

fouckhest
fouckhest
11/7/22 2:38 p.m.

Cool build!

RE: rear sway bar, the mk4 has one built into the rear beam from the factory, you can certainly add one, will make the car very "snappy"

MrRobogoat (Forum Supporter)
MrRobogoat (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/10/22 2:41 p.m.

Hate to say it, but ditching the modified subframe may have been a net loss in the handling department: the Mk4s are strut suspensions with little to no appreciable camber gain in the front end. People put on Audi TT control arms and spindles to move the ball joint closer to the ground and increase the front control arm angle, giving more camber gain as the suspension compresses. Now I'm no Nocones about suspension goemetry, but my understanding is that moving the LCA mounting points up into the car (as the modified subframe did) would yield the same results.

It looks like you have Bilstein B4s, which are great OE replacements. Hopefully those H&Rs don't lower the car too much, since lowering will drop your roll center (due to the LCA angles mentioned above), making the whole car feel kind of weird. I've had a few Mk4s, and the ones with stock springs have definitely felt the best. If you do try to trade back for stock springs, be careful you get the right ones -- they are color coded, by the model and drivetrain combo.

Hope this helps, I'm enjoying the Mk4 content!

dyintorace
11/10/22 3:33 p.m.
MrRobogoat (Forum Supporter) said:

Hate to say it, but ditching the modified subframe may have been a net loss in the handling department: the Mk4s are strut suspensions with little to no appreciable camber gain in the front end. People put on Audi TT control arms and spindles to move the ball joint closer to the ground and increase the front control arm angle, giving more camber gain as the suspension compresses. Now I'm no Nocones about suspension goemetry, but my understanding is that moving the LCA mounting points up into the car (as the modified subframe did) would yield the same results.

It looks like you have Bilstein B4s, which are great OE replacements. Hopefully those H&Rs don't lower the car too much, since lowering will drop your roll center (due to the LCA angles mentioned above), making the whole car feel kind of weird. I've had a few Mk4s, and the ones with stock springs have definitely felt the best. If you do try to trade back for stock springs, be careful you get the right ones -- they are color coded, by the model and drivetrain combo.

Hope this helps, I'm enjoying the Mk4 content!

Thanks for the comments and background. We're thrilled with how the car performed in the autocross. It's an honor to have come in 2nd behind nocones! We're on to our next project though, so our Challenge GTI is for sale!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/fs-2005-vw-gti-4500-take-it-home-from-the-challenge/210282/page1/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DJkXl02YlGFB6KHf5brHsRZmH5XM0HX7LGbm94wN4mZvhK1pipYJKXve3lSyfU7H