1 2 3 4
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/22 9:46 p.m.

New Benz project:

1967 250se inline 6 with a 4spd manual on the floor.

It isn't a pretty car but it's complete. 

I want to put this thing on the track with the stock drivetrain then eventually a motor swap. Either a 3.2 m104 (probably the easiest), m116/117, or m113 + slk 6spd. The seller actually has some v8 manual r107 cars sitting around that I'm hoping to eventually poach a drivetrain from. 

Suspension: I have no idea how swing axle cars perform, I can't imagine it's super great. I've seen all different kinds of rear suspension and rear end swaps in these cars from other Mercedes. 

I would love for it to look like this eventually or a budget version of this lol

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/4/22 9:54 p.m.
yupididit
4/4/22 9:56 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Yeah I'm always reading that thread. It's one of my favorites up here. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/22 10:12 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

That's way cooler than the last one you sent me.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze Reader
4/4/22 10:19 p.m.

I'm don't think those have swing axles.  More like the rear suspension of a 911.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/4/22 10:47 p.m.

Oh man this is so cool! 

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/5/22 9:24 a.m.

Oh I am looking forward to this build. How much interior room is there compared to your 190e? Like head room leg room etc? 

yupididit
4/5/22 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Sidewayze :

Low-pivot swing axles. I know nothing about 911 suspension 

yupididit
4/5/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

I can only speak on front seat because I never sit in the backseat of my own cars lol. 

It feels about the same, the 108 feeling more spacious but I don't know what the actual dimensions are. My 190e seats are clearly more snug and so the legroom feels less. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/5/22 11:26 a.m.

This is obviously a MUCH older car, but NSF Racing put a 1945 Mercedes 170 onto its roof due to the swing axle suspension - at full droop the tire was at a pretty crazy angle and the car just kinda laid over like it was sleepy, only at like 40 miles per hour. I'm hoping the swing axles on a 1967 are a bit more advanced but it's something to check out. Somewhere I have very sad photos of a beautiful but very dented up Mercedes.

Photos from Car and Driver, who claims it was due to a blown tire but I do not believe that was the case. I think the tire blew after the suspension drooped. It was wild seeing how much camber change there was when it was cornering.

I think it was this behavior that both rolled the car and blew the tire:

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/5/22 1:59 p.m.

Someone help me wrap my head around swing axles. I never read Nader's book. I understand there is an increased rollover risk, but wouldn't a big sway bar basically fix that?

Yupididit, dude. Your love for mercs is starting to rub off on me. I'll have to add them to my list of possibles when shopping for projects. Can't wait to see how this one turns out. 

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
4/5/22 2:15 p.m.

Part of the problem is the driver, you can't lift the gas in a turn, the back of the car will raise up and you can see how that becomes a issue. 

You can add droop limiting straps that limit how far the suspension can droop down, that somewhat limits the potential problem.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/5/22 2:20 p.m.

I love old Mercedes Benzes. I have never seen one with a 4 speed before. At least not in the US.

yupididit
4/5/22 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

This is my second one. My last was a euro ordered w123. This is also a euro order. No AC in either lol. 

Oddly, both of my current Mercedes are manual transmission. 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
4/5/22 5:56 p.m.

That last pic looks awesome.  Easy button would just be to turn brain into combination of angle grinder and welder, then source a slightly wrecked Mustang or Camaro of as recent a vintage as possible, then transplant.  Sometimes, an excess of creativity or practicality can really get in the way of movement.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
4/5/22 8:35 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Actually it is the other way around. Swing axles run Z bars, which increase body roll (keeping the wheel more in the wheel well), help keep weight on the inside wheel, and thereby help prevent the axle from literally folding under rhe car.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze Reader
4/5/22 9:12 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Sidewayze :

Low-pivot swing axles. I know nothing about 911 suspension 

Doh!  Yes , you're right.  I was thinking of the W114.

I think, as others have said, a Z bar is probably your best option here.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
4/5/22 11:10 p.m.

From one big benz racer to another, I love to see Der Sonderklasse dropped low on big rubber. I await this build thread excitedly.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
4/5/22 11:34 p.m.

W108s are great looking cars. Don't like the rear suspension on them though. What swaps have you seen done?

yupididit
4/6/22 12:57 a.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

I've seen ls, ford 5.0, 2jz, barra, all the Mercedes swaps I mentioned and Mercedes diesels

yupididit
8/18/22 1:09 p.m.

As of this morning I'll be acquiring a cheap 73 w108 with a 4.5 v8 as a donor car for this one and possibly another 4.5 car but lwb. HELP! I need somewhere to keep these cars so I can start the build. 

Stampie
8/18/22 2:36 p.m.

Park them in your neighbors driveways?

yupididit
8/18/22 2:56 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

We don't have driveways lol. Street parking and a separated "2 car" garage behind the house. 

Stampie
8/18/22 3:10 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Sounds like you've made some bad life choices. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/18/22 3:15 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to yupididit :

Sounds like you've made some bad life choices. 

Don't we all?

My first thought is to have a tear down party with a bunch of local GRMers so you can pull parts and scrap the rest before parking enforcement catches up with you.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kbghD6CSgmnKrsOgWNO2lbsJZJyT8SIVj3npV4wHtAEtxZCuc1RQz6yNutu1xscp