1 ... 10 11 12 13
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/18/21 2:14 p.m.

More sheet metal work to close out the rear bulkhead. I like the bead roller but keeping the beads straight while turning the crank with one hand is almost impossible .

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/18/21 4:53 p.m.

Change the crank to an old steering wheel, and try to arrange the bead roller shafts that pulling the wheel top toward you feeds the material in. At least, that works best for me.

Fab some kind of "fence" to keep the beads parallel with the panel.

You need a lackey.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/20/21 11:51 a.m.

And on goes the body again.....likely it will be there until spring.......

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/20/21 12:38 p.m.

......and it's on the chassis...

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/20/21 12:55 p.m.

I wish I could make these flares work.......so close. I'll have to do some pondering on the best way to make it work.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/20/21 12:56 p.m.

Yes!!!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/20/21 1:24 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I wish I could make these flares work.......so close. I'll have to do some pondering on the best way to make it work.

Rather than bring the flare to the car, can you bring the body to the flare by making some kind of filler piece? Thinking box-flare cause people dig that look.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/20/21 3:01 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I've been looking at both ways. Doing it in metal would likely be more budget friendly, just requiring me to find another free filing cabinets. Glassing them on might look better if I take my time, but material cost will be in the budget. I'd prefer a fiberglass bubble flare. We'll see...

I need to bolt on the front fenders and see if the 914 flares are even close at that end.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/20/21 3:37 p.m.

If you decide to pass them on, let me know. Ill take them!

(Yep. Im a vulture)

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/27/21 11:37 a.m.

I threw all the body parts back on the car in an effort to clear the second bay of the garage. I'll need the space to park the Miata for the winter. Work on the Challenge car will slow to a crawl soon.....

Scoooter
Scoooter
2/6/22 9:07 p.m.

Hi, found this site while looking for Corvette oilpans, and had to read your entire thread.  Stunning work what with the budget constraints.  And, I have a few comments.

On the fuel pump, early electronic fuel injected cars did have a problem where if the pump lost its prime, it took a dealer to reprime it. Running out of gas could be a 500 dollar bill.  As long as the pump can self-prime, putting it down low won't matter.  I don't think anyone makes a fuel pump anymore that isn't self-priming.  The other thing, the syphon effect will mean that the fuel pump drawing up then down won't matter.  So long as the pickup and the pump are at about the same level or pump a little lower, the weight of the fuel going up will be the same as the weight of the fuel going down.  Once the overhead loop is full it will act exactly like the fuel line is coming out of the bottom of the tank so there's no need to cut up the fuel cell.

On the exhaust, have you thought about glasspacks?  If there's room in the driveshaft tunnel, a pair of 30 inch glasspacks will give you a nice, deep tone and they're only about 2 inches larger around than the exhaust pipe itself.  The longer they are, the quieter they will be, and the long ones don't crackle too much.  And, while on exhaust - LS engines really need an exhaust crossover.  It'll make it quieter and can be worth 10-15HP across the RPM band.  You don't need anything fancy for the crossover either, just a little excess pipe and your welder with a little cutting.  I've seen people use a hole saw on a drill press with the pipe securely attached to make the actual crossover pipe's half-moon cut.  2 glasspacks as duals is quieter than one larger single too.

And, for power steering, between hydraulic power steering and electric racks, the car companies used an electric power steering module called EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering) that attaches to the firewall and provides assist on the actual steering shaft.  You can use this with your existing manual steering rack/box.  Some are more complicated than others, but the simpler ones just need power, ground and a "volume" knob to control how much assist it gives.  A search on "epas conversion" or similar will give links showing how to do it and what make/model to look for.  This is popular on home EV conversions.

This will be my one and only post, as I used a throwaway email account to join, but I couldn't help but be impressed and wanted to offer a bit of assistance.  Good luck with it.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
2/7/22 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Scoooter :

Just a couple of points of clarification.....

There is an exhaust crossover in the exhaust already and I've got a pair of Flowmasters for mufflers. If I come across a pair of glasspacks for less than I paid for the Flowmasters I would change.

I'll have a look at the electric assisted steering to see if it can be done for less than the current budget hit.

Edit: The local pick-n-pull charges $31.50 for a column without the steering wheel. That may work.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 7:34 a.m.

Warren, at some point I know that you will read this and will know that you are actively thought about on a daily basis. 

Keep fighting brother.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/17/22 12:23 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

Warren, at some point I know that you will read this and will know that you are actively thought about on a daily basis. 

Keep fighting brother.

John, just saw your post for the first time today. Thanks brother. As for the Corolla, my health has kept me from working on it this year and likely will next spring too. There's a good chance that I'll be putting it up for sale in the spring unless my health has a miraculous turn around over the winter. I'm still learning to walk and my left arm is only about 50% functional so a project car may be impossible for quite awhile.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/22 12:26 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Just seeing you post brings a smile to my face. Keep working hard and know that we're pulling for you. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/22 12:33 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

That is unfortunate to hear.  Hopefully your health improves over the winter and you can get back to it in spring.  I really hope you get a chance to take a rip in the wonderful project you've built.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/17/22 12:51 p.m.

......and to add insult to injury, I built the chassis using grinders to fish mouth the tubes and didn't wear hearing protection much. Hearing test last week showed a 30-40% loss due to my stupidity and laziness. Earmuffs are cheaper than hearing aids, duh....

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/22 1:23 p.m.

Warren, 

I talked with Keenan a bit a few weeks ago and have an emotional tie to your car and feel like it needs finished and run at the challenge. My garage will always have an open spot to make that happen, and I'll break my no more $2000 cars rule to see it compete as close to your vision as possible

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/22 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I was going to make a similar offer.  I'm not as emotionally invested in the car, but I am invested in your Vision.  This one needs finished. 

Warren,

I (And I'm sure others) would be willing to come to your Shop this winter and assist you in completing the car.  Or if you want to wait until you are a bit more able we could find time this summer to do the same.  

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
10/17/22 2:24 p.m.

Hang in there Warren! If there is a meeting of the minds to help finish the car let me know!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/17/22 2:33 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Thanks for the offer.The car still has a lot of work to do and would take multiple weekends to finish so I'm inclined to move it on to someone younger and healthier.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/17/22 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'll give you first dibs if I choose to sell it then. Keenan did tell me about your conversation.Thanks 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/17/22 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

Thanks for the offer.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/22 2:59 p.m.

I just re-read this from front to back, tons of impressive work here. You have touched a lot of people here and it is obvious because when your name comes up people come out of the woodwork to wish you well. I know there is a long list of people that would help with that car or take over the journey. Keep on recovering, glad to see you posting today!

Nick

java230
java230 PowerDork
10/17/22 3:44 p.m.

Im miles and miles away, but want to see it finished, Keep your head up Warren, even if it goes to someone else to finish (as I can hear the ringing in the background). 

1 ... 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kToXnbaLHL6MJW1rrooeg65J9chb9sB62Eh9Y8VOIRB5p5upCmXrGHPgZBb2EzmI