1 2 3
stavison
stavison
2/3/21 11:04 a.m.

I got my Accent about a year and a half ago and have slowly been building it for SCCA Rallycross. During this time, I've had enough people interested in it that I figured I might as well do a build thread. I've never really done much on forums so we'll see how this goes, just figuring things out as I go.

So I guess my story starts in 2018, I was eager to get into racing in whatever way possible, I was looking at doing autocross, but found there was a SCCA region with rallycross not too far and that seemed more my style. So I took my daily (2014 Ford Focus) and had a blast. After that I wanted to get a cheaper car that I could drive hard without worrying about breaking my daily driver. I didn't have any specific car in mind, but I wanted 4 cylinder, front wheel drive, and a manual transmission. With a low budget, I felt more confident getting something from a salvage auction than Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist; I figured if a car was lightly wrecked, at least it was running well enough to get into an accident.

Honda Fit's and Ford Fiesta's were high on my watch list but they would always sell for more than I was willing/able to afford at the time. Hyundai Accent's however seemed to go for a lot cheaper, so after months of watching auctions I put a bid on one that looked to only have some minor front end damage but it was listed as "Runs and drives". After my bid won, I borrowed a truck, rented a dolly, and set off on a 4-hour one way drive to pick up my first ever project car.

The car was brought out on a big forklift and placed perfectly on my dolly. Excitement set in realizing I finally owned a project car. I quickly looked over it, mentally trying to make a list of things I would need to do. Once I got it home and was able to dive deeper into it, I quickly realized how expensive body parts can be. I needed to repair or replace a lot since I wanted to get it through the enhanced inspection to change the salvage title to rebuilt. After adding up all of the expected costs, I figured it would be cheaper to just buy another Accent to steal body parts from. So I was back to the auction site, and three months later I found one with a nearly perfect body (had scratches and minor dents, but nothing broken), 219k miles, a manual transmission, and a clean title. I figured since it wasn't wrecked, it probably wouldn't run or run well, otherwise why would it be at a salvage auction, but that didn't matter since I was only planning on taking parts from it. After I got it home, I started it up and took it for a drive and found that it was mechanically in better condition than the other one, that combined with the clean title made the choice very obvious, the parts car was to become the project car. After replacing two tires and welding up the exhaust leaks, the car passed state inspection and was road legal.

With the car street legal, I could finally start the build process and take it to rallycross events. One of the first things I got for the car was a set of wheels to use for racing in place of the stock steelies. Luckily the Accent has 4x100 bolt pattern, so theres plenty of wheels out there. I ended up getting a set of Acura Integra wheels for a good deal and after sand-blasting and painting, they looked good as new. I got 15" wheels solely because it's easier to find 15" rally tires, even though I was planning on just running snow tires, but I found a set of used DMack gravel tires for sale and picked them up. The tires are 195 width which is a bit wider than I should probably run on a lower power fwd car, but they get the job done and they were cheaper than buying a set of snow tires.

Next on my list was mud flaps. I got some scrap aluminum sheet for free and made my own brackets inspired by the ones on rally.build and made them to bolt to the car and the mudflap attaches with a large rivet. I had heard people say that Ikea cutting boards made good budget mudflaps, I don't live near an Ikea but I bought similar ones off amazon for ~$10. I liked the look of the multicolored mudflaps but after one short drive on a gravel road, all four were broken. Since that was a failure, I got a semi truck mudflap, also ~$10, and was able to get four car sized mudflaps out of one. These semi truck flaps are thicker than Rallyarmor or Rokbloks, pretty flexible, and have held up well so far with about six events on them.

From doing rallycross in my daily, I knew I wanted a better seat and and a harness to help hold me in. I got a Corbeau Forza seat and a 4-point harness from Racerdirect. Unfortunately there's very little aftermarket support for the MC Accent so I had to make my own custom seat bracket. I used the bottom portion of the stock seat rails and welded some steel plate to it to bolt the seat to. I don't have pictures of the bracket right now, and since I'm out of town for work for a while, I'll post them up when I get home. I will be adding additional support to the brackets when I get home just for added strength, also I'll probably add a slider so that I can let my friends run it as well.

I opted for a 4-point harness because in SCCA Rallycross, at least where I run, there's very little risk of rollovers or hitting anything harder than a cone, so submarining isn't much of a concern and I still have the stock seat belt to use when driving on the street.

I also wanted to have a better grip on the steering wheel so I got a NRG steering wheel and quick release with a Sparco hub. Since I still wanted to have a horn button, I took inspiration from other builds I had seen and used a 2-lead stretch cord meant for using with a trans-brake on drag cars.

Since my exhaust was very rusted out and barely hanging on, I figured it was due for replacement. With how little aftermarket there is for this car, I was surprised that I was able to find a catless header from DNA Motoring. It doesn't seem like anyone still makes any other exhaust components specific for this car so I had a local shop weld up a custom 2.5" stainless exhaust with a Flowmaster high-flow cat, Vibrant resonator, Vibrant muffler, and Summit Racing v-bands. I sprung for the v-bands so that I could easily change my set-up so I can have it quieter on the street, louder on the course, and be able to take the cat and muffler in and out depending on class or venue requirements.

Once I get back home later this spring and can take more pictures, I'll talk more about my skidplate, front tow strap, oil catch can, and all of the other stuff I have in store for the car this season. Plenty of mods and work to be done this year.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 11:36 a.m.

I. Am. So. Friggin. Happy. 

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 11:39 a.m.

I guess I should also post some action shots from this past season with Washington DC Region.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 11:53 a.m.

One thing I might suggest, and it's probably not a big deal.... but I'd move the O2 down to the collector. Right now its reading only cylinder 3 which is probably fine, but if you start having an injector issue it has to happen on that cylinder or it won't catch it.

Other than that, awesome sauce.

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 12:11 p.m.
bobzilla said:

One thing I might suggest, and it's probably not a big deal.... but I'd move the O2 down to the collector. Right now its reading only cylinder 3 which is probably fine, but if you start having an injector issue it has to happen on that cylinder or it won't catch it.

Other than that, awesome sauce.

Thanks! I'm still learning a lot and that's not something I had thought about. So, there is a second O2 sensor that's on the flex pipe, does that make it not really an issue?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 12:27 p.m.

The rear O2's are used for long term fuel trends and checking for cat efficiency. They're not really needed (my Tib have none) and don't contribute much to the cause. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
2/3/21 12:37 p.m.

Following along on this one as I've been watching for either an Accent or a Kia Rio to possibly do rallycross myself.

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 1:36 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Following along on this one as I've been watching for either an Accent or a Kia Rio to possibly do rallycross myself.

This platform is really fun for rallycross, the punchy 4 cylinder and short wheelbase are a great combo. My one warning though is that there is very little aftermarket support for these. The worst part of that that I've found so far is no one makes a limited-slip differential, I'm planning to weld my stock diff this season and see how that goes. If you do get a 2007-2011 Accent or Rio, feel free to hit me up and I can share anything I know about what aftermarket parts are out there.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
2/3/21 2:01 p.m.

In reply to stavison :

Did the exhaust make much of a difference in noticeable power? As for the lack of aftermarket support, I've assumed I'd have to improvise and find stuff for other makes that might be adapted, like VW struts for example, by using the Monroe shock data site to find something close enough.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
2/3/21 2:28 p.m.

Looks great. Good to see another Hyundai on a race track.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 2:42 p.m.
stavison said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

The worst part of that that I've found so far is no one makes a limited-slip differential, .

that's actually not true. I found one earlier this week. Let me find that link and I will repost it. 

EDIT: HERE Shows it being applicable for the Alpha 5-spd which should be pretty much unchanged for the most part from 98-2011 in the US and through 2018 globally.

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 2:51 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Wow, I don't know how I never found that. Thanks for that! I'll still probably just weld the diff this year just because of cost but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 2:55 p.m.

In reply to stavison :

I was looking for one for the first gen Forte and stumbled across it. I can understand WHY they make it, that trans is used in a crap ton of cars globally. 

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 2:56 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I can't say I notice any real difference in power after doing the exhaust. The volume of it makes you think it's faster but I don't know if it actually is.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 2:59 p.m.
stavison said:

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I can't say I notice any real difference in power after doing the exhaust. The volume of it makes you think it's faster but I don't know if it actually is.

What did you do on the intake side? I know the wifes 08 Rio woke up pulling the resonator, opening the bottom of the box and running a larger hose through the fender well for more air. That helped quite a bit. Then again, hers was the 4spd auto so anything wasgoing to help because that trans sucked (very durable, but completely soul sucking). It was her daily so we left it alone on the exhaust side to keep it quiet. Instead refreshed the suspension with H&R's and fresh Monroes. It was truly a little no-lift slot car on on ramps.

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 3:00 p.m.

The real question, does anyone know of anyone that tunes these engines?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to stavison :

no. Sorry. About the best I can find is A.) MS it and start fresh or using a fuel tuner through the MAF. Tuning doesn't really come into the Korean world stateside until around 2010-up Theta/gamma/lambda range. the little alphas, betas and deltas are a forgotten gem.

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 3:04 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I haven't done anything to the intake yet. I was planning on getting the short ram intake from Cosmo Racing for now. Later down the road when I relocate the battery to the trunk I may do some custom tubing for better intake placement.

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 3:06 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to stavison :

no. Sorry. About the best I can find is A.) MS it and start fresh or using a fuel tuner through the MAF. Tuning doesn't really come into the Korean world stateside until around 2010-up Theta/gamma/lambda range. the little alphas, betas and deltas are a forgotten gem.

Yeah that seems to be what I've been finding. One of the guys I race with runs an MS in his Tiburon, I might have to talk to him about it, maybe I'll go that route at some point.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 3:08 p.m.

In reply to stavison :

the filter is appropriately sized, but the intake hole is undersized. A dremel and 5 minutes gives you a lot of benefit for almost no investment.

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 3:19 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to stavison :

the filter is appropriately sized, but the intake hole is undersized. A dremel and 5 minutes gives you a lot of benefit for almost no investment.

What hole are you saying is undersized?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 3:28 p.m.

In reply to stavison :

The inlet on the drivers side. When you open the box, pull the filter it should be on the front drivers side. IIRC it's a triangle shaped inlet. It's been a few years since we had that car so my memory may be confusing it with something else.

stavison
stavison New Reader
2/3/21 3:33 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Okay thanks, I'll hafta take a look at that.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 3:36 p.m.

In reply to stavison :

google is telling me I may be insane and this may have the ECU bolted to the side of it with a same sized inlet pipe.

gszczyrbak
gszczyrbak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/3/21 5:23 p.m.

In reply to stavison :

Awesome!  Like you said not much aftermarket but I've often thought these look like a great fwd platform for rallycross - lightweight, short wheelbase. You might not need it, but I wonder if you can swap in an Elantra engine. Of course that puts you straight into Mod.  Good luck. Maybe I'll make it down for a DC event this season in my PF Mazda 3.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sZTxDCQ4Z2GPRX4Ha6UDjVMW56ftB1GMOHQCtTKK1PuD6ZK2KBFFC8uDFxDfBnqr