1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
12/4/21 2:33 p.m.

Had the wheels off today to get them balanced.  Took a close look at everything underneath and found some stuff I'm going to have to deal with.  In no particular order:

Gotta play with my truck's butt

Spring perches are virtually gone - Both sides

Rear sway bar mount bushings.  Probably should do the front as well while I'm in there, but they didn't look bad.
Hard to see here, but the backside of this bushing is gone so it's kinda floppy.  Passenger side is a bit better, but still sad

Maybe poke at rerouting this brake line some, but there appears to be no rubbing?  Rear brakes don't really do E36 M3 on a truck anyways

And the dreaded tin worm has started to make a home.  Right around the screw in the first pic, you can see daylight through it if there's a light source

Passenger side looks a bit better, you can't see through it at least

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
12/4/21 2:51 p.m.

Oh yeah, and the body mounts are surprisingly good, all except the front-most ones.  Those probably need to be replaced.  The rest look like I'd see on a 5-10 year old vehicle.  Weird

Thank you for your service and for sharing your journey with us.  Great read.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
12/7/21 1:07 p.m.

Yes....quite a good read.

So what happened when those mark dots weren't lined up?  Was the motor back in the truck and spun over before you found the mis-match?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/6/22 6:14 p.m.
onemanarmy said:

Yes....quite a good read.

So what happened when those mark dots weren't lined up?  Was the motor back in the truck and spun over before you found the mis-match?

Was gonna post a random update.  Saw this.

Basically my cam timing was ~45 degrees off from the stroke.  This could create an issue with most engines, but this engine has over half an inch of valve lift clearance before it even comes close to hitting flat top pistons, which these are not.  So basically it would just kinda try and pop off once or twice, then it wouldn't do anything.  I spent about a month trying to diagnose why it wouldn't start.  That month eventually caused me to start seeing someone for mental health issues (they were already present, but that month showed how bad they were)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/6/22 6:15 p.m.

So, truck did a thing, unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and missed the big number change.  You'll note that there isn't a check engine light on.  I promise to have the full dash on for the next big number.

Also, more free aluminum.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/22 10:04 p.m.

Great read! Thanks for your service, and for taking the time to post this and update it as you have.

BBC

rothwem
rothwem Reader
1/21/22 12:14 p.m.

Man, you've got really bad luck for getting hit!  This poor truck must have a bullseye painted on it or something.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/21/22 12:30 p.m.
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/22 9:23 p.m.

Given the number of times this thing has been rear ended- was the brake upgrade necessary? All kidding aside, awesome thread. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/21/22 9:28 p.m.

Thanks for the update, I've really enjoyed this thread. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/21/22 10:00 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Stampie (FS) said:

That makes me miss my AF days also. 

Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

Not sure what I missed.  12 years AF, walked away in 2000 and haven't given it much thought since.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
JAUjedhpFOi2iSQMLDdAQ3y6FOnRgMno9APyNVY2E6uWZwkFPC6xyJkv4ytQ8vGI