1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/22 8:55 p.m.

Swapped back to the camaro balancer from the truck one I ran in my impala and bolted on the camaro water pump and alternator/bracket.  Just enough clearance between alternator and frame I believe.  

stuck a fender on to check wheel stuff and ride height.  Should drop and inch with all the rest of the front end weight I hope.  Coilovers are already set full low.  Have to put wheel on back to see if there will be quarter panel interference.  The 9" housing I have now would put the wheels 5/8" farther out on each side.  If that's too much but stock width works i'll try and sell the chevelle housing and get a 57 specific one.  If i can't do that I will just cut the chevelle one up and jig it and make it whatever it needs to be.  

also going to try the fel pro aluminum core intake gaskets made for the truck intakes, as the gaskets that came with my intake don't inspire confidence 

Patrick
3/2/22 5:59 p.m.

painted rf fender today

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/22 9:14 p.m.

Is that an all aluminum LS?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/22 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

All LSs are aluminum.

/pedant

That intake manifold design is fascinating to me.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/22 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I thought the smaller truck engines had iron blocks?

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/2/22 9:36 p.m.

Ah, but truck engines (aside from Trailblazer SS) are not LSs.  LS1/6/2/3/7/A are all aluminum.

Ultra pedant mode: The LSX block IS iron, but it is not a production engine, just a block.

Patrick
3/3/22 8:45 p.m.

If i had more ambition i would toss an iron block in and post pics back and forth between it and the aluminum block just to make you think you're losing it

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/3/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Iron spray paint cleans off very easily if you prep it wrong and use decent carb cleaner...

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/3/22 9:40 p.m.

The truck engines (4.8/5.3) are iron blocks, but they're not LS designation, they're the LR4 and LM7. Engines with LS tags are the car engines and are aluminum blocks (LS4,LS1,LS2,LS3,LS6,LS7). To further confuse things there are truck motors with aluminum blocks. The LM4 that I'm using in my Challenge Corolla is a 5.3 aluminum block truck unit. It's the same spec as an LM7 but with the aluminum block. The L33 from the Trailblazer SS is also an aluminum block. LEGO motors, so lots of hybrid possibilities. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/3/22 9:48 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

The TBSS had the 6 liter engine, and IIRC its RPO code was indeed LS2.  Regular V8 TrailBlazers had 5.3s.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/3/22 9:56 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Oops....my mistake. The L33 was another 5.3 aluminum block pickup truck motor and the TBSS had the LS2 6.0 liter. It's like trying to remember all my passwords........

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
3/3/22 11:08 p.m.

What happened to the good old days when it was a 327, 350, 400, 454, etc.?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/4/22 8:23 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

293, 323, 348, 366, 378, 427 and any displacement in between that you can create by sticking the 293 crank in the other blocks..........feel better now?wink

Edit: The LS has been around for about 24 years now, since you were a teenager.....they are the engine from the good old days.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
3/4/22 12:18 p.m.

Well, I do have grey hair, so I suppose you're probably correct.

Patrick
3/14/22 2:42 p.m.

Warming back up, painting the inner fenders so the car can go on the lift soon for plumbing and driveline finishing.  Today must be a 50's kinda day since I'm working on the 57 chevy and 58 wartburg 

in the interest of durability and that cans of dusk pearl metallic cost a fortune,  i went with rustoleum spray bedliner on the backside and hammered copper on the engine bay side.  

Patrick
3/17/22 4:46 p.m.

Plodding forward with assembly as i find and paint pieces.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/17/22 4:52 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

LT-1(the 350ci version of the DZ302), LS-6 (high po 454 in 1970), L88 (top dog 427), ZL1 (super rare all aluminum 427 put in 69 1969 Camaros for drag racing homologation..) smiley

Patrick
3/30/22 7:53 p.m.

Today I removed a broken bolt from the lower mount on passenger fender as well as the original that was rusted in place with the remnants of the old fender and got the fenders, apron, core support, and inner fenders mounted and aligned for real.  Some ratchet strapping was needed off one of the garage wall posts to pull the slightly twisted passenger fender into place.  Splash apron is not in good shape, but it's on.  Battery tray is installed.  Have to align the hood next.  

Patrick
4/1/22 1:24 p.m.

Hood and front end adjusted, latch lubed and made functional again.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/1/22 1:44 p.m.

Getting close!!!

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/1/22 4:42 p.m.

That's looking great, Man.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
4/1/22 8:43 p.m.

Big steps man. Final fitting is always a pain

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/2/22 10:47 a.m.

That is looking great!

Ever see these adaptors?  It lets you put SBC valve cover on a LS.

Patrick
4/2/22 11:10 a.m.

I have, the aesthetics of the modern engine absolutely do not bother me in the least though.  If anything this car is a middle finger to the old guard.  The same can be said about how i live my whole life though 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/22 11:37 a.m.

As seen at Summit Racing:

remote coils with long wires, dummy distributor at back of intake, cool but pricey kit that wouldn't be too hard to duplicate with some half-decent tools and skills.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VFUkjuHVkGBcfrklH3sFCTcUe9hjdYNOEsNrXVQSMN6Lj0e6vvQdIOhJP6PjT7Q5