12/26/18 1:37 p.m.

Time capsule 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/18 1:43 p.m.

Patrick
12/26/18 3:11 p.m.

Making a cocoon, now we really need to get serious about adding onto the garage  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/18 3:15 p.m.

The population of Bonertown just went up 

Patrick
12/26/18 3:29 p.m.

Now it looks like i’ve tarped an aerostar in my driveway 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/26/18 3:48 p.m.

It's going to be a long winter of peeking under the tarp. 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/26/18 3:59 p.m.
Patrick said:

I don't know what "gesic" means, but I'm glad that these days excedrin is taken orally.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/26/18 7:20 p.m.

Keep a close eye on the car...covering it up with a plastic tarp can potentially hold in moisture that will cause rust on the exterior and mold on the interior.

Patrick
12/26/18 7:23 p.m.

Oh yeah, when loading it we discovered it has brand new (but obviously super old) bias ply cheater slicks on the back.  Probably for his chevelle drag car that also sold, but fun nevertheless to see and indication of what kind of fun the car is going to have when it is reborn

Patrick
12/26/18 7:38 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Keep a close eye on the car...covering it up with a plastic tarp can potentially hold in moisture that will cause rust on the exterior and mold on the interior.

The whole back of the cocoon is open.  I did that once before and had to repaint the roof of my car.  I can stand between it and the garage and see the whole car.  I was most concerned about keeping water off the car due to old door seals and keeping anyone driving by from seeing what it is.  It literally looks like we have wrapped up a short roof delivery van

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/26/18 8:51 p.m.

So, a 235 6 cylinder. Throttle body and put a turbo on the I6.  Has maybe 8:1 compression, so a turbo and pocket porting with a little more rocker arm might give you another 50 HP with todays fuels.  Better springs, bushing, shocks.  Biggest sway bars you can find. Could be interesting.

Congratulations on the new family member.  

noddaz

Patrick
12/26/18 9:15 p.m.

I’ve been inside a 235.  The pistons are cast and have lots of mass.  An additional 50 hp on top of 125 doesn’t get me excited.  I was texting back and forth earlier with Calvin Nelson about engine management for a turbo 4200.  We’ll see where things go, but I do have a 72mm turbo, wastegate, blowoff valve, 3 bar map sensor, intercooler and piping laying around doing nothing.  I haven’t tuned anything for boost yet but i need to learn.

we found in the garage all 4 original wheels with matching body color paint.  Those along with 2 more rear windows, an old school 3 ton sears jack, 3 bins of scrap tubes, and a fuel transfer tank with pump are all waiting on the next trip.  I had half a thought to break everything down to separate receipts and try and challenge a 57 chevy, but i’m not handcuffing myself.  

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/18 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

and keeping anyone driving by from seeing what it is.  It literally looks like we have wrapped up a short roof delivery van

Can confirm - we cruised by on the way to dinner last night and were disappointed that you already had it hidden from view.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/27/18 10:06 a.m.

This is amazing. I'm not sure this car could've found a better steward and caretaker for it.

If you keep it inline 6, the supercharger from one of the Miller cycle Millenias should do nice things to it. They go to 20 PSI, I think.

I have the 454 sitting in my garage. I was going to save it for the post-Challenge GMT400, but if you want one to throw in there, let me know.

Patrick
12/27/18 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

I sold my 454 to help fund this purchase.  I am going to research pan fitment of the 4200, because i can buy a wrecked or rusty trailblazer for almost nothing.

the only real threat to pan fitment looks to be the steering linkage, which looks suspiciously close to the same spot that the 4200 has a 3” or so pass through tube in the oil pan for the differential.  

I do have an m90 on the shelf, but all those turbo bits need to go somewhere.  

Priority one however is make the garage bigger.  For fun i will probably get the 235 running, it appears a cap and some plug wires away from being able to toss in a battery and hit the key.  I don’t want to know what the tank looks like inside but that’s nothing a gas can and some hose can’t fix to at least be able to see if it’ll start. I still have some 235 parts around here somewhere, probably still at dad’s place.  I’m looking forward to being able to get everything indoors.  And a lift.  

That reminds me, i’m going to take the tape measure outside to see what trees need to go away to make my barbie dream garage so i can make my permit drawings for the county

Patrick
12/27/18 12:12 p.m.

Reality had set in because i just transferred the money for the car and got the title and now i’m paypal broke again

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/27/18 3:03 p.m.

How much 90's GM B-body is "easy" to swap into/under these cars?  Are you married to the inline-6 idea or just spitballing?

I've never done something as ambitious as what I think you're about to do, so whatever it is you do actually do, hat's off to you and no religion on my part about the above questions.

Patrick
12/27/18 3:55 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Nothing is set in stone, and i know that a b body frame leaves bits exposed in the front wheelwells due to their shape but that’s about it.  The frame and floor of this car are apparently solid, so with the exception of probably having crappy gearing and an open diff there isn’t much i would do out back besides a giant sway bar, and up front a disc brake swap and a gianter sway bar.  Also a power brake conversion, but otherwise aside of bushings and shocks I don’t need to go nuts.  

I have always wanted to do an atlas 6, i had a low mile one at one point with harness and pcm and everything but sold it along with a bunch of other cool stuff to get down payment for my house.  It makes sense, if it can be done without cutting the car.  I literally ls swap almost everything at this point and I’m looking for a different challenge.  It’s become second nature to build a stand alone harness and throw $500 at something and make 300hp via a 5.3 swap.  I’m not over it by any means, it’s an easy button, but i think it would be spiritually cool to keep an inline 6.  Normally i’d look to an rb25det dropout for straight 6 power, but the displacement of the 4200 is enticing as is having a gm hptuners setup already.  

I’ve had 4 offers so far, one was 3x what i paid.  Sorry, this one is mine.  

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/27/18 4:35 p.m.

The atlas would be cool, I've kinda felt the same way about my car and keeping i6 power, sadly the best i6 is in Australia. Even if you don't stay i6 powered that car looks solid and I like your plan not too hack it up!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/27/18 6:20 p.m.

Base line hp/lb #'s for a 4.2 atlas(N/A) are 280/280.....so one could work incrementally(as funds allow) building up to

the V8Kid crescendo of whatever  #'s  he pulls out of his......just sayin' so you could terrorize Olmsted Falls, Berea, Bath   as you 'tweak' in the meantime...... wink

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/18 6:21 p.m.

Well, then.  Maybe this will help.

235 hop up thread

Warning..  It's from the Jalopy Journal.

And we will chuck this in here too.  Just to convince you to keep the 235.

235 on stand

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/18 5:59 a.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Wow some of the things in that thread are scary and I only read the first page.  Bump the compression up by milling the head, but then they recess the valve seats for piston-valve clearance, which nukes flow probably way more than any minimal gains you'd get from a little more compression.

Had to stop reading when an overbore was tauted as a performance mod, and saw 3/4 race cam used honestly...

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/28/18 6:14 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Yeah.  7/8 race cam or GO HOME.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
12/28/18 6:36 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Well its a 6cyl so you would have to go with a 5/6 race cam.

Was a "3/4 race" cam the 1960s equivalent of the kids today calling parts stage 1 or stage 2?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4SFLY3ISpC3xB2hHEjj5ptqeh441cKbp72m4laI9iFLb8bELmNV2ppPKLF3Ox6CK