Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/21 6:29 p.m.

He should probably stop falling off and breaking himself though 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/9/21 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I wouldn't count on it. Crazy old people do silly things. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
11/9/21 8:33 p.m.

Yawn......steeereetch'.......scrraachin'.......(me arse) .......wadda nap......well lookee here!?!?!??....the Violet Pimpernel has awakened to once again to be witnessed by this Crazy old Fart.....thanks for the thread bro...late

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
11/9/21 9:03 p.m.

When's first fire?

11/10/21 6:05 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I wouldn't count on it. Crazy old people do silly things. 

You should see my purple shin from going to the skate park with my bike last week, caught pedal while transferring from a box down to the ramp.  To be fair i'm not old, Seth has like 5 years on me

digging the look with the oldish school wheels and RWL tires, these are just rollers though as the tires are 20+ years old.  This is definitely a 15" wheel car, i am not big on 17"+ on stuff from this era and older

Plan is to poke away at whatever needs done with car on floor while i wrap up the underside of the Wartburg, then they swap places and i drive both sometime next year 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/10/21 7:16 a.m.

15's for it absolutely. And seth has me by 3 weeks IIRC. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/10/21 7:45 a.m.

I like those 15s especially vs. anything bigger, and I'm not even old like all you people.

11/10/21 12:39 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

these are actually 14's.  That's how old they are.  When is the last time anybody saw a 235/60/14 firehawk?

also almost time to drop the full before/after house photos.  I purposely quit updating that thread for some shock and awe factor.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/21 6:45 p.m.

Another vote for "Don't go bigger than 15" on an old Classic".

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/21 5:51 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

these are actually 14's.  That's how old they are.  When is the last time anybody saw a 235/60/14 firehawk?

also almost time to drop the full before/after house photos.  I purposely quit updating that thread for some shock and awe factor.

TIL that you can get new 235/60-14 Radial T/As!

For $180ish a pop.

You can also get Cooper Cobras for a lot less.  Given the way my RX-7's T/As work, the Coopers are probably grippier too...

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
11/13/21 2:33 p.m.

Schwing!

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
11/13/21 4:02 p.m.

P'man do you have an extra set of '68-70' Chevelle rims(slots) with the center caps/trim rings....I always liked that look on these? 

11/14/21 6:17 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I don't care for rally wheels much anymore, the only ones I have are aftermarket 15x4 that i really need to sell or do something with.  

12/12/21 1:46 p.m.

Unfortunately Brittany's dad just passed from Covid, so I won't be able to give him a ride in the car his mom bought new.  New goal is be able to take Brittany for a ride in her grandma's car this summer.  

Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy
Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy PowerDork
12/12/21 1:56 p.m.

berkeley Covid!

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
12/12/21 3:13 p.m.
Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy said:

berkeley Covid!

QFT. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/12/21 3:28 p.m.

Sorry to hear that. I know the family would have enjoyed having this car pull up to their house. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

16" look ok on older cars.  Not obviously oversized and does not look small by modern standards.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/16/21 4:27 p.m.

I think i love that. 

Stance/tire fitment will be the make/break. What are you thinking there? 

12/16/21 6:15 p.m.

Want to start at level rockers with where the rear currently is and thinking a 235/60 front and 255/60 rear and go from there.  Going to start assembling a 9" for it soon, housing is done and i need to clean my carrier and swap the open carrier to the shimmed detroit locker on the shelf then order the axles and brake brackets when i sell more parts.  

for anyone keeping track at home, I am now $250 away from recouping the initial purchase.  It's not going to be challenge budget when done but it's not going to be double challenge budget either.  After i recouped $900 for the original engine/trans i half thought to throw a 5.3 in and make it to the challenge in a 57 chevy, but the reality of doing things I would not normally do to a car i want to keep set in and i went on a stimulus fueled parts buying bender last year and slammed the easy button on motor mounts, trans crossmember, front suspension, radiator, and fuel system.  

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/22 12:00 p.m.

Time to build a 9" 

pieced together speedway's brake kit from them, ebay, and rock auto for over $100 off.  Have a new chevelle width housing (about 5/8 wider per side than original 57 rear) that i will chop the trailing arm mounts from and weld the leaf perches on, and a 3.25 center section plus a detroit locker.  Should be able to recoup a decent chunk by selling the original low mile rear end assembly.  I think the 3.25 in this car at sub 3200# with the 4L65E first gear should be a good balance between acceleration and still maximizing freeway mpg.  Curb weigh is 3275ish and the ls1 is a full 200 pounds lighter than the 235 it replaced.  

Patrick
1/17/22 6:58 p.m.

that was Saturday.  Snowed over a foot yesterday.  Continuing to plug away at the garage one chunk at a time.  Keep finding more gems for ebay to raise more car funds

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/17/22 7:43 p.m.

Giggity!!!

Patrick
1/19/22 2:42 p.m.

Decided to go with the professional products intake from the basement full of summit racing clearance parts and an ebay 92mm throttle body.  It's heavier than the ls1 intake I pulled, but should be good for some nice gains and the ls1 is already 200+ lbs lighter than the cast iron 6 cylinder, so still a huge net weight loss.  What I did not know is that one needs button head cap screws to replace the hex bolts on the valley cover, so will order some from mcmaster carr or whoever has the best price on stainless bolts.  

Also, for cleanliness and intake reasons I'm switching back to the camaro balancer and accessories.  When I had the engine in my Impala, the truck stuff worked better because of power steering.  If I go power in this car it will be with a prius or similar electric column.  

the other driving force is wanting the LS1 intake for this dirty pig, currently being degreased to drop in the chevelle very soon 

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dP7P6bTgPJIMFvVLDI1UHfqNygEgRnI2K7l1brUIIcROwcnad0mg7wMw4OFpks9K