1 2 3 ... 7
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/27/22 5:10 p.m.

I like it. Plenty of things to fuss with on this car. 

When do the young ladies start throwing themselves at me ? I thought these things were chick magnets. 

It's not as slow as I figured it would be. These tuned ports aren't total crap. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/22 5:28 p.m.

Nice! Never seen a yellow one. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/27/22 5:30 p.m.

You have to have the keys promanatly marked with the logo, and make sure you dangle them so the shiny parts would get there attention. At least that's what a co worker did in 86 with the brand new vette he worked into every conversation. 
I personally never saw it work for him, but they may have sensed his desperation....

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/27/22 5:33 p.m.

Very nice. Great color.

8/27/22 5:51 p.m.

So let me say, I am refusing right up front to become a Corvette guy. It's just a neat car I want to goof with. There will be no satin jackets or discussion about RPO codes.

But if anyone is interested, this car is a 1990 and the yellow is apparently way rare. Apparently the paint was poor durability and GM stopped production of yellow that year when roughly 500 cars had been made. So it's very rare. I'm meh about it. I just like the color. No concerns about value. I will ruin this car in the eyes of Corvette guys. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/22 6:01 p.m.

That's a good looking C4! Is it an auto or a 6 speed car?

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
8/27/22 6:03 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

I for one look forward to the slow transition of a non Corvette guy, into a bowling green obsessed, satin jacket wearing Corvette guy. By page twelve I fully expect to see you defending how the rarity of the yellow makes it worth 3x as much as other "standard" Corvettes. 

My meth neighbor told me he wasn't gonna turn into a meth guy. Now look at him. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/27/22 6:14 p.m.

Awesome! Looks very nice. Those wheels rock too. 

as for the ladies chasing you down and all their jealous husbands in tow, you gotta rock one of these. 

And T's like this

8/27/22 6:21 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Auto. I don't get around too well anymore and a clutch isn't ideal. I've had THREE acl replacements in my clutch knee. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/27/22 6:29 p.m.

I used to autocross with the local Corvette club (with my '86 Civic, my B13 Sentra, and my Super 7).  If you close your eyes and picture a two-tone blue-and-white Chevy Silverado, it's pretty much the same thing but with less hauling capacity.

Looks sweet!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/22 6:59 p.m.

Yeah good choice then. The C4 has a really strangely shaped pedal box. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/22 7:05 p.m.

Nice car... and congratulations on your retirement. 

The kid next door to me has a C5 that appears to be the same shade of yellow, so GM either figured out how to make it more durable by then, or they had forgotten all about it at that point. 

Either way, it looks great. Enjoy it!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/27/22 7:11 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Was the 6 speed out by then? Immaterial, since the cars at, but I thought the 6 came out with the "new" LT1 vettes. 92, maybe? 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/27/22 7:12 p.m.

Nice car! The L98 has lots of torque so they move along pretty well. If you have the standard 2.56 diff, swap it for a 3.07. Best bang for the buck you'll  get.

I liked my '88 4+3, won lots of autocrosses with it.

However it was not a chick magnet, in fact it was total repellant!  I was 29 when I bought it in 2003 and owned it 6 or 7 years. the typical responses were:

Women under 30 - "Corvette? Gross. My weird uncle has one. Why don't you get something cool like a Honda?"

Women over 30 - "Corvette? (rolls eyes) Grow up and get a Mercedes you loser..."

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/27/22 7:24 p.m.
03Panther said:
RacetruckRon said:

Was the 6 speed out by then? Immaterial, since the cars at, but I thought the 6 came out with the "new" LT1 vettes. 92, maybe? 

The 6 speed came out in '89

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
8/27/22 8:05 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

So let me say, I am refusing right up front to become a Corvette guy. It's just a neat car I want to goof with. There will be no satin jackets or discussion about RPO codes.

But if anyone is interested, this car is a 1990 and the yellow is apparently way rare. Apparently the paint was poor durability and GM stopped production of yellow that year when roughly 500 cars had been made. So it's very rare. I'm meh about it. I just like the color. No concerns about value. I will ruin this car in the eyes of Corvette guys. 

First sentence "I refuse to be a Corvette guy", second sentence "it's actually pretty rare because...."

Might as well buy the New Balance now. 

8/27/22 8:32 p.m.

The car shows to have the 3.07 rear diff by decoding the RPO sticker.

It's running somewhat poorly currently and has a mid throttle surge in it. I've got a big Rockauto shopping cart assembled of maintenance items to return the car to baseline quality. I'll get it all back to where it should be and I suspect most of the drivability issues will fix themselves. It's got some sort of oil leak going on up high and rear. I'll pull the intake off and reseal it and change the oil pressure sending unit if it's wet. Basic small block Chevy stuff. Clean the EGR port in the lower intake. Clean the upper plenum and runners. Clean the throttle body. Rattle the injectors around for a while in my ultrasonic and replace all the orings. Fresh ignition stuff. New O2 sensor. Should perk it up.

It's got some sort of electronic suspension in it. Selector dial on the center console. Some sort of actuators on the tops of the shocks. So far I'm skeptical of all of that. I tend to be a "fresh set of Bilsteins from the Tire Rack" kind of guy. I made it all the way to gray hair and retirement without ever owning a set of electrically adjustable suspension dampeners before these. 

Maybe some Grand Sport wheels or ZR1 replica wheels. 

Crutchfield for some Alpine and Infinity goodness. Got to blast that Tom Petty while rolling the Dairy Queen parking lot.

I need to grab a fresh pack of white tube socks to go with the New Balances. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/27/22 8:40 p.m.

congrats.....actually quite handsome (which is not to be used in the same sentence when tawkin' vettes) Also no gold chains......and no underhood murals.....capeche???  

Slippery
8/27/22 8:42 p.m.

Its your car, but the wheels it has on are cool, classic Corvette C4. I'd leave those on. 

I'd had a poster in my bedroom of a C4 ZR1 growing up with those wheels. 

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
8/27/22 8:55 p.m.

Congrats! Don't forget a Corvette hat too! I really enjoy my 91. Foot box is TIGHT, auto is easier to drive than manual for guys with big feet. 

8/27/22 8:57 p.m.

To my eyes the wheels are on the wrong sides of the car. It seems like the twist should go the other way that they do now.

Am I wrong on this ?

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
8/27/22 9:07 p.m.

I agree but they are on correctly

Slippery
8/27/22 9:16 p.m.

They are installed correctly. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
8/27/22 9:17 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

To my eyes the wheels are on the wrong sides of the car. It seems like the twist should go the other way that they do now.

Am I wrong on this ?

I thought they looked like the right direction to me, but after picturing them rotating the other way, I can't unsee it. Even if it's the "right" direction, it's the wrong direction. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/27/22 9:30 p.m.

Yellow C4 with salad shooters!  Nice find.  You will need the jacket at least.  

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oAmMkjIhYET6NDGowpUeghatv0MPIM8gZaCvSjHDIPnfnEl0tR2Uy45RJ9FeZO8X