1 2
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/12/22 10:54 p.m.

Thread before actually buying the thing. 

blah blah blah. It's a beater. It's cheap. I want something to goof around with. Pictures tomorrow if the deal goes through. The dude seems legit. I can hardly balk  at the price no matter what. I know they're not awesome cars. But when I was a kid they were dreamy. Now I'm an old dude. Still need to scratch that itch. 

I'm thinking make it a bit loud. Make it snotty sounding. Some form of cheap wheel/tire upgrade. Drive my wife for tacos on Friday nights. Freshly starched jean shorts. 

more tomorrow night. 

David_H
David_H New Reader
8/12/22 11:04 p.m.

Doesn't matter what it is as long as it scratches that itch. Imo beaters are great because you don't have anxiety about the shape it's in and can just enjoy beating on it . C4s look pretty cool to me! Looking forward to updates 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/13/22 12:31 a.m.

Will it get the customary Cousin_Eddie detail?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/13/22 8:55 a.m.

They have great handling and the engine, while it's not the most powerful small block Chevy, can be upgraded without too much trouble. Go for it!

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/22 10:49 a.m.

Bitchin'

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/13/22 10:57 a.m.

A clean C4 is always a sight in the wild.  They are becoming rare and unique.  Radwood called and wants your best.

10001110101 Reader
8/13/22 11:03 a.m.

Cousin Eddie thread? I'm in. As previously stated, if it scratches that itch that's all that matters.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/22 11:24 a.m.

Following!

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/13/22 12:50 p.m.

I have one.  It's a terrible car.  It makes me smile because of how rad it is.  Get a good stereo in it and just cruise.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/13/22 5:24 p.m.

I'm not much for stance vehicles, but the Static Vette flips all the right switches. Dump that Vette in the dirt.

8/13/22 6:37 p.m.

We shall see. The meeting is set for 8pm tonight.  

I've spent the day learning about which Corvette wheels fit which model year. And brushing up on my Tuned  Port knowledge. How to make the exhaust sound good. It's always fun learning new stuff.

I know full well that they are awful cars. That doesn't  change a thing to me. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/22 6:41 p.m.

In

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/13/22 6:49 p.m.

Flowmasters on small block chevy is always the right answer 

8/13/22 7:30 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Flowmasters on small block chevy is always the right answer 

Sir, you misspelled "Borla".

SEADave
SEADave Dork
8/13/22 9:38 p.m.

If you are studying up on TPI you are looking at the right years.  Always preferred the earlier ones with the L98, with the 89's being a standout for me for a number of factors.   Great cars for the price so long as you are ok with it being not perfect, which is clearly where you are at.   

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/22 9:45 p.m.

<looks at clock> Ok ... annnnnd?

8/13/22 10:40 p.m.

It didn't work out. I walked away. The engine has a noticeable tap upon snapping the throttle closed. It's not noisy under load and acceleration, just when you let off. I really think it has an unhappy rod bearing down in there. That's how I have always seen them present when they're worn out.

The car is a 86. With the engine noise and it being an 86 I just kind of lost interest. The 86 model engine doesn't interest me in that it's a flat tappet cam and two piece rear main seal block. I couldn't see myself spending any time or money on that engine. At that point I just figured I'd be smart to walk and keep looking. I've been looking awhile now and I have a solid envelope of cash here on hand to be ready when the right car comes along. 

I've also been looking at third gen Camaros. I have a real nice 5.3 LS and freshly built and fortified 4L60e here on hand for something. 

I'm a retired man now and I'm itching to get into another project so I know something will come along.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/13/22 11:34 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm a retired man now........

Wait, if you're Cousin Eddie were you really ever employed?  JK!

There are a lot of Corvette projects out there.   The right one will come along.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/14/22 9:00 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

I've also been looking at third gen Camaros. I have a real nice 5.3 LS and freshly built and fortified 4L60e here on hand for something.

That does sound like an effective way to cure the Corvette's rod knock. Just needs a low profile manifold, and not the aftermarket sheet metal ones you see everywhere.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/14/22 9:13 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Why not sheetmetal intake? Ive been eyeing them for my build due to cosmetics. 

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/22 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Because with the super-short runners, they make less power than a factory intake everywhere except near redline. They look cool, though.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/14/22 2:13 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Ok! Truck intake it is!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/14/22 2:23 p.m.

And you're in!

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
8/14/22 2:42 p.m.

Eddie: 4th gen. Revel in a car that Runs like a Swiss watch, low 13s or better and has a really crappy plastic usually shredded interior you don't have to care about. Will smoke a C4.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/14/22 3:16 p.m.
Agent98 said:

Eddie: 4th gen. Revel in a car that Runs like a Swiss watch, low 13s or better and has a really crappy plastic usually shredded interior you don't have to care about. Will smoke a C4.

Yeah but 92% less rad. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zYCSov4C2Nt9TP2FFIkyhjsqsUssBoYhAXmGAfBSncAO2UpGSPydFmDTTDKQFrvb