1 2
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/28/22 10:59 a.m.

I love Mazda 2s. Mrs. Snowdoggie had one when we first started dating. I drove it a lot. We used to park it in the driveway next to my Miata. Unfortunately, hers got totaled a couple of years ago after being rear ended by a big truck. I would love to find another one to add to my stable.

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
1/29/22 12:59 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Ha, I probably should go back and edit that.  I was scratching my head whilst troubleshooting and found that theory on some website.  Something about the coolant being too low to give the temp sensor an accurate reading maybe.  Everything else I looked at said check fuse, relay, wiring, and fan motor.  It wasn't those, the pump and thermostat were fine, so I was kinda guessing since replacing the radiator (and thus fixing the big leak) made the fan work normally again.

It's also possible the motor wasn't overheating at all, despite the frequent rolling clouds of coolant smoke.  The car has a full suite of warning lights but no gauges aside from a speedo, tach, and fuel, and the over temp light never popped on.  I wasn't driving great distances and stayed on top of the fluid level, so maybe it just never got hot enough.  But there again it wouldn't kick on with the AC either, and now it does.  So beats me... laugh

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
1/29/22 2:16 p.m.

I love these so, so much. Nearly bought one once but passed due to accident history. I think they are a hoot to drive!

Flatlander on here had two that he built out for racing. If you find his build thread you might enjoy reading it as he spent a LOT of time dialing it in.

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
1/29/22 8:26 p.m.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support guys!  I never would've thought this car had such a following, but everyone that I've run into that's had one has loved it.  Pretty crazy for a little budget econocar... smiley

And yeah I've been going around looking at different builds that others have done, and his was definitely inspiring.  Shame it ended like it did though...

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
2/1/22 8:26 p.m.

Bilstein kit is in.  The factory shocks weren't terrible but the struts were blown and leaking everywhere.  A bonus of the refresh is that braking has improved.  With the old struts, anything more than moderate brake pressure would kick on ABS, and it was an awful racket when it did.  Like shaking a coffee can full of nuts and bolts.  After the new struts I can get way deeper into the pedal before ABS activates, and it's a much more normal ABS racket.

That should be it for a little while, just need some sticky tires and some tracks to open. 

Also A/C...

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
5/22/22 3:24 p.m.

Got wheels on, some Team Dynamics in 15x7. 

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
6/8/22 10:39 p.m.

Ran a Track Night at AMP.  Didn't do too bad for being the least powerful car there and on all-seasons.  If any of you guys were there and heard someone grinding 2nd gear to a nub at the end of the front straight, that was me being incredibly rusty with my heel-toe downshifting. yes

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/9/22 10:40 a.m.

Looking good, and looks like a lot of fun!

Your thread, plus the guys running Mazda2s on the One Lap this year are really making me want one of these little cars.

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
6/13/22 11:02 p.m.

It was a lot of fun, and I know all the other Miata guys probably appreciated having someone to pass. laugh

Not taking anything away from the 2 cuz it fits my current needs and is pretty capable on the track, but if I'm 100% honest I miss my Abarth.  More fun to drive, better at the track, made cooler noises, etc.  I'll get another one someday, when life is pointed in a slightly different direction. 

Where the 2 and Abarth are similar though is they don't take themselves too seriously.  There's no expectation that they'll be stupid fun on the track, but they really are.  My Veloster was supposed to be super capable on the track, all the car magazines told me so.  And it was.  And I think maybe that took just a tiny bit of the excitement out of it. 

So not to disparage anyone running a badass track car, but if you're out there autocrossing your Nissan Leaf before the lease is up, or showing up to a track day with a 1998 Dodge Stratus, God bless you. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q8QQ3WNXAHmfjzCUdDfX1S2CdzTl22M7uKq5mL2oA3OuuJdehjQBvmvTPK1fnopd