1 2
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/21 8:28 p.m.

I wasn't looking for another project but my friend starts talking to me about how his parents have a car on their property that needs to be moved, apparently it's parked on a neighbor's property and it needs to be moved now. They consider it to be total junk since it's been sitting for a few years, a window is down, it was smoking at the end and it's old. They offered it to a couple people but no one was willing to pick it up fast and time was of the essence.

So that's how I ended up taking a day off work, grabbing a trailer and towing home my new $100 1990 MR2.

Body is in ok shape, paint is pretty faded but it's faded in a way that gives me ideas. Interior has been open to the elements for what looks like years so it's nasty. Engine apparently smokes but I couldn't even give it a shot because once we got the engine compartment open we saw rodentia had chewed the spark plugs wires. It comes with a set of wide 18s and the spoiler was taken off at one point( but came with the car).

Admittedly I know only a little about MR2 s and wasn't exactly looking for one but....when offered a $100 MR2 and you have acres of land to store it on....you just do it.

I'll upload a couple pics I grabbed, more to come later

11/1/21 8:30 p.m.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/21 8:31 p.m.

The rear spoiler alone is worth what you paid for it, so you are ahead any way you look at it.  I look forward to the photos.  This site may have more MR2s active than the MR2OC at this point. 

11/1/21 8:31 p.m.

11/1/21 8:33 p.m.

Anyone know this logo? Shiny wheels aren't my thing and I have no idea.

They are 18s with rubber bands for tires

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/1/21 8:33 p.m.

From  Wiki

The MR2 went through a redesign in 1989 (though North America did not receive them until early 1990 as 1991 models). 

Sweet buy on your 1991 MR2!   Jealous! 

11/1/21 8:55 p.m.
John Welsh said:

From  Wiki

The MR2 went through a redesign in 1989 (though North America did not receive them until early 1990 as 1991 models). 

Sweet buy on your 1991 MR2!   Jealous! 

They swore it was a 90 but it has to be a 91 then

You can see just how much I know about these lol

11/1/21 9:14 p.m.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/21 10:07 p.m.

Great buy!!!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/1/21 10:38 p.m.

Hell yes! Nobody in their right mind says no to a $100 mr2!

11/2/21 9:40 a.m.
dculberson said:

Hell yes! Nobody in their right mind says no to a $100 mr2!

Funnily enough a few did, why I don't know....lack of vision/too much sanity?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/2/21 9:54 a.m.

For $100 I would have rented a truck and trailer, and figured out the rest later.

11/2/21 10:26 a.m.
Jerry said:

For $100 I would have rented a truck and trailer, and figured out the rest later.

Exactly. Apparently their other best offer was an old Corolla they didn't want and picking it up at a later date.

They were stunned anyone actually wanted the car.

11/2/21 6:55 p.m.

Some more pics. As you can see the interior is bad, looks worse in person really

11/2/21 6:58 p.m.

Weird paint on the lights.....boooooo.

Ill see how to scrap it off, it doesn't look too rugged really

11/2/21 7:00 p.m.

188k miles though the engine is questionable

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/2/21 7:00 p.m.

Great buy! 2gr-fe it and have a really really quick and reliable great looking car.

11/2/21 7:03 p.m.

I think you'll see why the engine couldn't be started, plus the fact I couldn't get the frunk open to swap in a battery anyway

11/2/21 7:06 p.m.

It almost looks like a racing strip of roasted paint doesn't it?

Or if you squint hard enough....gt40 gulf livery front

11/2/21 7:14 p.m.

For starters I need to get the engine well....started and see. The story is that it was smoking heavily because at some point it was sucking unfiltered air for whatever reason. I have no idea if that's true or to what level it is smoking although all levels ain't great.

I need to get the frunk open so I can get the window up so I can get the interior sorted. Probably needs to be bombed from space or at least replace the seats. I am not terribly hopeful for anything electronic inside the car but we shall see.

The body literally doesn't have a rust spot or a dent that I can see somehow. Clutch engages and it shifts so there's something. The T tops apparently don't leak funnily enough.

It's gonna be a lottttt of work but I still feel like I got my money's worth here.$1900 is left in the challenge budget to make it run, not give me multiple spore based diseases from the interior, stop and maybe be faster than it is now. From quick research it looks like the n/a ain't fast to begin with but I'm not even sure that particular engine is staying in it, I'll have to look around at swaps.

11/2/21 7:15 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

Great buy! 2gr-fe it and have a really really quick and reliable great looking car.

Really that's probably the best option since if this engine sucks, I don't see why I should swap in another n/a engine

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
11/2/21 7:51 p.m.

Sweet! Look forward to your progress!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/3/21 8:23 a.m.

Who leaves a car sitting with window(s) open?  Is it that hard to close the windows?  Ugh.  Good purchase, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/3/21 8:24 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Electric windows and a dead battery combined with a battery in the frunk but the interior pull release doesn't seem to open the frunk

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/3/21 9:26 a.m.

I see a gutted interior for a new rallycross car.  Or am I just projecting?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DeO8ZJKPQvPZBw2ARExmLWKtBimpZ7d6xi6veElWHHed1kou9HckXPQxjCl94kdz