1 2 3 4 5 ... 19
StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
2/3/22 1:21 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
gumby said:

In for driveline angle shenanigans!

Do you anticipate moving the suspension the entire current 1.5" delta, or splitting the difference someplace and letting the CV's absorb the slack?

The CVs should be fine although between the additional angle and the additional Ackerman (which I do want) causing more inside wheel toe-out in turns, I anticipate needing some limiters behind the inner tie rods.  That is a problem for the future, though.

Axle centerlines are mandatory to stay stock.  Must look as much as possible like a regular R53.  Part of the early project holdup was that I wanted to retain 4x100 wheels, didn't want five lug wheels on the car.  (Plus between me and Evan we have like six hundred 4x100 wheels)

Basically a sleeper Mini.... Until you hit the loud pedal and all 4 goes up in smoke..... 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 1:49 p.m.
StripesSA1 said:

Basically a sleeper Mini.... Until you hit the loud pedal and all 4 goes up in smoke..... 

That's what I was thinking. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/22 2:04 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
StripesSA1 said:

Hey, this has been done before! Hopefully this build moves a little quicker than that other one.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 2:15 p.m.

...and in the next installment we spend all weekend making a small bracket. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 2:41 p.m.
adam525i said:
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
StripesSA1 said:

Hey, this has been done before! Hopefully this build moves a little quicker than that other one.

Early on I did hear rumours of a Mini with a Japanese rally bred turbo 2 liter all wheel drive swap.  So I looked into it, and it looks very nice.  Fortunately, Evan offered a Mini that did not require replacing every body panel due to rust.  And unlike trying to swap a large dimensioned transverse four into an Issigonis Mini, the drivetrain pretty much fits without having to make all new everything.  Was actually really stoked that the Subaru parts slot right in.  I had been expecting to have to widen the chassis rails for the engine and it was a game changer that the engine fit no mods needed.

While we don't want an interior, or A/C, there ARE some mod cons we want to retain, such as the power windows and locks, as they are needed for the doors to open and close because BMW.  Fortunately, using them is just a matter of not removing them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/3/22 3:26 p.m.
StripesSA1 said:

AWD drifts in a dirt parking lot is a must the moment it can hold all of its fluids..... 

Backyards are more fun!

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
2/3/22 7:48 p.m.

It needs a name!   Freakingly awesome, Binky with a big hit of Wasabi! laugh

Edit: Oops, sorry Colin! 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 9:30 p.m.

Dunno if I said this before but this is great.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/3/22 9:57 p.m.

I to would like to confirm the greatness of this.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/4/22 7:18 a.m.

Yup.  I'm following along with the awesomeness happening in here.  Nothing else to add but this: yes

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/5/22 1:11 p.m.

I love it when a plan comes together.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/22 1:32 p.m.

That looks to me like a plan that fell apart.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/5/22 1:33 p.m.
EvanB said:

Only one?  (Weekend.)

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/22 3:11 p.m.
wae said:
EvanB said:

Only one?  (Weekend.)

It's very small.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/5/22 3:26 p.m.

So much of this is just sort of convincing me that I have a weak core car-guy-ness; I think if I lived in Ohio and had to deal with that level of rust, constantly, and on relatively new stuff, I just couldn't face it. I'd end up just driving appliances and drowning my sorrows in... chili-covered-spaghetti or whatever it is you guys have there.

You guys are made of sterner stuff, and I applaud you.

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/5/22 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Yeah.... this is why I am happy that EvanB offered up the Mini for this "thing that should not be" instead of my original idea of using the GTI.

It is also why the WRX was Cleveland-cheap. 

Speaking of.  Today started with a pile of parts from eBay, thanks to 541 Motorsports, who will be getting some more of my money shortly.

Versus this crustiness:

Will update when I get home.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/22 5:31 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

So much of this is just sort of convincing me that I have a weak core car-guy-ness; I think if I lived in Ohio and had to deal with that level of rust, constantly, and on relatively new stuff, I just couldn't face it. I'd end up just driving appliances and drowning my sorrows in... chili-covered-spaghetti or whatever it is you guys have there.

You guys are made of sterner stuff, and I applaud you.

This x10

There is less rust on SanFord and he's 66 years old. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/5/22 9:11 p.m.

Post 34500!

Weekend 6, day 1 (Feb. 5th)

As hinted above, now that the engine and trans are more or less where they are going to be, I could focus on the rear subframe.  First order of business:  Assemble the new (good used) rear subframe and links, then fight the two FU bolts in the old rear suspension.  The ones that connect the lateral links to the uprights:

Now, I know you aren't going to believe this, because I sure as heck don't, the left side more or less came right apart.  And the left side, for whatever reason, is usually the side on any vehicle around here that has the worst corrosion.  (Figure that out)

The right side came apart as usual.  Cut the links, slice the eyes open, get the rubber off, air hammer the sleeve off of the bolt.

What was left of the old subframe may now be safely placed in the scrap pile.

Clean up the diff studs, which are 12x1.75 where they thread into the diff and 12x1.25 for the nuts (must be a Datsun to Subaru hybrid thing, these diffs were used in 510s, and they are STILL in use!), bolt it up to the NEW subframe, then realize I need to pop the driveshaft in so I can see if I can just set the diff back enough to use the unmodified driveshaft.   To do this, I first had to remove the handbrake cables and the fuel tank, which was a minor adventure.  Modifying the fuel filler to go to a cabin area fuel cell is a no go because the filler neck is plastic.  Hmm.  After some eyeballing, I realized that the dent in the tunnel where the handbrake cables came through was in the way of the driveshaft, so it had to go.  First I bolted the exhaust bracket/chassis brace back in, then leveled up on using a Sawzall to cut a square hole without a starter hole.

Now, I had kind of a feeling that the WRX driveshaft wouldn't work, since the Mini's wheelbase is 97.change and the WRX's wheelbase is 99.change, and I'd set the trans back an inch and a half, so going back 3.5" is kind of asking a lot.  But heck, let's try.  Popped the shaft in, spaced it up against the exhaust brace, then offered the rear subframe up.

And had to take a pic of this, because you never, ever, EVER see Subaru GC/GD parts this clean, even when they were new around here.  I felt guilty over this brash decadence.

Aaaand.... we got problems.  It's sitting waaaay too far back.  And it is far too low, because of some undertrunk stiffening ribs.

I tagged Mr. Sawzall into the party and went to town on the trunk floor.  It all had to go anyway, right?

Heck, that's just about right, right there.  "If it looks right, it probably is right."

Truth be told, I wasn't exactly prepared for things to go this smoothly back here.  After some important sit and stare at it time, I think I know how I am going to mount it in here.

Also, the tunnel is definitely going to have to be cut higher.  That's okay, we were expecting that.  But it also looks like I might have enough room to use the Subaru T-brace... which means I'd have to buy one that wasn't massively rust perforated.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/6/22 10:25 a.m.

I know there's a lot of fab ahead, but the placement of that subframe in the trunk hole between the frame rails is going to make it a lot easier. And as a Georgian, I am also amazed by that rust. Heck, even your "new" subframe looks rusty to my eyes! 

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/6/22 12:16 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

And this is exactly why I drive a Volvo, not an STI like I'd want.

I washed it last night.  When the roads have a white haze of salt dust hanging over them, it's just pervasive.

Enough with the BSing, time to make the doughnuts.  Got a bag full of hardware for the subframe solution.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/22 12:19 p.m.

Sit and stare time is most valuable time

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/6/22 12:57 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/6/22 3:57 p.m.

Frustration.

We can fit a 5gal fuel cell, we want more than 5gal.  Can use a Wrangler fuel tank but it will require heavy mods to work.  And then there is this thing.

That flange can't be cut out because it holds that box section together.  I SHOULD just cut the whole mess out and replace with tube.  It would be easier and probably better suited.

argh. But i have a mental block against permanent mods, like might want to return to stock someday...

Also, berrrrrrk German seam sealer.

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/6/22 4:14 p.m.

The box section is there because the rear shocks load into the chassis there.

The shocks that are no longer going to be used because I am making strut towers, that will tie into the frame work I am making anyway.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/22 4:20 p.m.

Sawzall and tubes

1 2 3 4 5 ... 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OCLdcwCUhEhhRdysHKanbIY3vekaFu732MLF2dBLsNJlFL8TWMxe8o5ik7Nxje60