1 2 3
QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/23 4:46 p.m.

Try as I might, I spend too much time dreaming about the wrong car and never enough time working on the right one. 

This is not a story about that pattern changing. 

I purchased the Z car from Patrick with every intention of making it my forever-ish car. I Mofo'd myself when I decided that it should be a street car. I am not independently wealthy so I can not have cars that do not do all of the things I want to do, even if they do not do them at 10/10 level. I want to autocross occasionally,  go to dinner with the wife, drive up north in the fall and run down to Eastern Tennessee and inspect the clibbins borther. I really need something like a NC Miata or a Corvette.

Let me pause this story while I check Marketplace.

What the fuhh? That's got to be a scam. 

Message this fool. 

Wait, what? He's a hooman. Seems pretty genuine. Says the engine blew up because he wasn't paying attention to the temp gauge and it got hot then no longer got at all.

Check the bank rat quick. I can do it, but I'll need to sell off some stuff... stereo stuff, save a little for the Vette, umm... Subaru parts... shizznit... looks like I'll just swap the Z engine and transmission in with the necessary new parts and sell the remainder of the Z to recoup.

Door says he's got a guy who wants it. I asked "How long has he said that?" "8 days" "Times up, I can be there with a trailer tonight." 

He said "Okay!"

WHOOPS. I wonder what will happen when Kelly finds out. 

Damn damn damn damn jeanclaudevandamn

Jump in Terry Crews-cab, run to the Michigan Indiana border, pull up to the address. A beautiful home with a Gen3 CTS-V, a Merc SUV, a M4 and a C4 Corvette under a fitted car cover in the drive. 

This is nuts! Maybe he has two?

Nope. Real nice guy, nice wife, nice child, wonderful neighbors, and after offering $2200 cash I was the nice guy from Michigan with a mohawk that now owns a C4 Corvette. 

New tires, new carpet, pretty well maintained L98 auto C4 Corvette. 

Get home, show the wife, she asks me why part out the Z, it's worth more than the sum of its parts. She's right.

I put up an ad at 11pm. I have 160 messages by 11am. It's sold by 2pm. On Wednesday it will go to a new home and the parts collection begins. 

I have deals for a LS engine,,flexplate harness, mounts, pan, exhaust manifolds. Need TV.cable bracket, intake, injectors, coils, ECU and accessory drive bits. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
4/18/23 5:03 p.m.

So awesome! Continue!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/18/23 5:04 p.m.

I have a drive-by cable truck intake complete with injectors and all, a spare ecm, and coils here if you're interested in making me an offer I can't refuse

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/18/23 5:06 p.m.

I want first dibs when you don't finish this one................wink

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
4/18/23 5:13 p.m.

That's beautiful! The older I get, the more attractive C4 and C5 Vettes are to me.  I REALLY want a front engine, rear-drive hatch of some sort!

I'd like to get one and raise it slightly for year-round driving on our E36 M3ty, pothole-strewn roads but keep it otherwise stock.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
4/18/23 5:13 p.m.

I have a bare intake manifold from an LS1.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/18/23 5:14 p.m.

So it's too late to throw dibs on the Z or related parts? 

Congrats on the C4!

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/18/23 5:34 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Call the ball Maverick 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/18/23 6:20 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Put it in the pile?

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
4/18/23 9:44 p.m.

Excellent, can't wait to see where this ends up

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/19/23 9:13 a.m.

Well that is a primer on how it is done, nice score!  So many C4's out there that are trashed for cheap, but you found a nice one with mechanical issues which can be pretty easily solved. You do have to watch out for scams, but every now and then these deals pop up and you have to be ready to jump (literally into your truck with the trailer) when they become available. Watching this one!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/23 5:43 p.m.

Nice car. Well bought!

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/19/23 8:06 p.m.

Pics of the mohawk? Does it fit in the car?

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/20/23 6:02 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

Yep

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
4/20/23 8:39 p.m.
Iusedtobefast said:

Excellent, can't wait to see where this ends up

Just keep an eye on the "Cars for Sale" sub-forum... cheeky

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/23 9:28 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

Why are you wearing cloths in your shower?

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/20/23 11:14 p.m.
Stampie said:

Why are you wearing cloths in your shower?

Multi tasking, is my guess.

Shower and laundry 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/21/23 6:17 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Obvious answer provided by Mayne.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/21/23 6:41 a.m.

A name has been selected for this stallyin. 

I try to include something of the vehicle make, model or individual car when I name one. (Stranger, Maxipaz, Cruze Missle) so in that vein I christen thee Poorvette. 

I am currently in possession of a 2002 L59 5.3 as well for motivation. 

Mount pads, accessory drive brackets, ecu harness trim, intake, exhaust still needed.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
4/21/23 8:17 a.m.

Start measuring. You may need to find the shorter accessories for a car depending on length of the engine compartment. I may have a set of engine mounts to go along with the other stuff.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/21/23 11:51 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I ordered the new clamshell poly insert from Prothane, it's the one all the cool C4 kids use, I still had a set of cheap swap plates in my grossly messy garage that I happened upon last night, and they look to be the correct ones for using the transmission in the stock location. 

A "Camaro" pan (Hot rod pan, 302-1 Holley pan, every Chinese copy pan) is the ticket as well. 

Accessory drive is a key component, I don't "have" to have AC but I really kind of want it, I reality I may need to modify/ cut+weld to get what I want.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/21/23 1:50 p.m.

I used this Chinese oil pan on an LS swap I did and was very satisfied with the quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L3YJVMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
4/21/23 2:13 p.m.

C4s with LS's are awesome. What a deal, it looks very clean. 

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/22/23 3:32 p.m.
The_Jed said:

That's beautiful! The older I get, the more attractive C4 and C5 Vettes are to me.  I REALLY want a front engine, rear-drive hatch of some sort!

I'd like to get one and raise it slightly for year-round driving on our E36 M3ty, pothole-strewn roads but keep it otherwise stock.

That's easy, no aftermarket parts required, just crank up the factory ride height adjusters a little bit.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/22/23 5:21 p.m.

In reply to nsogiba :

It's so very clean. Not perfect, I mean it's 32 years old for jimneys sake, but it's soooo much better than I could imagine. 

Update on the last two days of purchases for Poorvette: Bought a complete 2002 5.3L L59 Flex Fuel engine then found out the seller has a complete 2000 6.0L LQ4 iron head engine and another core engine with a set of 862 heads on it. 

So now I own three LS engines. 

The 6.0L with the 862 heads creates a 10.4:1 LS engine with small combustion chamber and small valves, so I did what every person who ever threw a set of 305 heads on a 350 would do... I invested in a cam! After looking at specs, dyno numbers, crystal balls and into the abyss of LS propaganda on the interwebbz and decided I liked the idea of a truck cam in my truck engine in my American tractor of a sports car. So I bought the Truck Norris cam. 

Lift is not too big, duration and LSA make it liveable, enough chopchop to get attention from the kids, a perfect low RPM cruiser cam. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fJuC0imcjJ9Hc62xDijtnBDXhbXZIYSby2U3nQt0KGUKJ2ayWUQVdS6JVuwxL1ur