1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/16 3:37 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Why stop at 7"? Used?

I could go to eights if I could find them locally and cheap, but time is flying by too quickly.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/16 6:43 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote:
I could go to eights if I could find them locally and cheap, but time is flying by too quickly.

How far are you from Thunder Road or Devils Bowl? There should be some used wheels floating around there.

vwcorvette
8/13/16 9:02 p.m.
Wall-e wrote:
vwcorvette wrote:
How far are you from Thunder Road or Devils Bowl? There should be some used wheels floating around there.

about equidistant. Guess I could hit one of those tracks. I checked their classifieds to no avail but that was a while ago. I'll check again.

vwcorvette
8/14/16 6:58 p.m.

Got the 15x7s today. Brand new in the boxes, $100 total for all four.

Got the driveshaft back in after dealing with the damage caused by it coming loose while using tow dolly.

Trans cooler from b-body wagon installed.

Need to trim fan shroud a bit more to clear alternator pulley. The engine is longer ya know!

Was under an s-10 blazer and noticed their axles are on the rear leafs. Anyone know if I could make a flip kit for my axle out of blazer parts?

Van moved forward and back for the first time today just to check things and top up the trans fluid.

Going to DMV this week to register it. Still needs a windshield to pass inspection however.

More news and hopefully a good video soon. Still needs lowering and some body work. And a good cleaning inside and out.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
8/14/16 8:55 p.m.

I make all my poor boy flip kits with these. 13 bucks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4120074/overview/

vwcorvette
8/14/16 9:04 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie wrote: I make all my poor boy flip kits with these. 13 bucks. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4120074/overview/

Under consideration.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/15/16 6:53 a.m.

are you still using the 4.3 computer and tbi?

vwcorvette
8/16/16 2:45 p.m.
solfly wrote: are you still using the 4.3 computer and tbi?

Using V8 PCM and injectors. Now running better. Timing is close but not perfect. Gotta get a better timing light on it.

Problem now is the trans. Once we got close on fluid it was better, but the 1-2 up shift is late and the trans surges about 3-5 times before shifting. May have to drop the pan and change the filter.

Still to do:
Windshield replacement
Exhaust hanger on passenger side tail pipe
Fix or replace leaking/cracked driver side valve cover
Bypass or replace leaking heater core
Trans filter
Tires
Passenger front fender repair or replace
Passenger mirror glass replace
Install Recaros from Vette
Cut front coils, flip/lower rear, alignment
Install wiper motor, horns and rest of front end bodywork
Total up expenses to date.

Oh yeah, and there's only 5 weeks to go and school starts up again next week.

vwcorvette
8/18/16 10:18 p.m.

After tallying expenses I have less than $180 in the budget. Still need to lower van. Would be nice to get sway bars. May be for naught however if the trans turns out to be done. Swapped the filter and fluid and added a bottle of Lucas trans treatment. Will know more tomorrow.

Chasing an idle issue as well.
Video soon

vwcorvette
8/19/16 4:27 p.m.

Van runs and idless better with MAP disconnected. Off to the parts store!

Shifting much better now that TV cable is better adjusted. Fingers crossed.

Rereading the Challenge rules I realized I was including tax in my budget totals. Found money!!!

vwcorvette
8/24/16 6:46 p.m.

If you've been following my thread in the grm forum you'll know I'm having trouble getting this beast to run well. Hoping for some good news from Harris Performance tbi about a chip to handle the cam. Then to refocus on the trans and its desire to shift at high rpm with surging. Deadline looming, money disappearing, work starting up. Not sure I'll be at the challenge. Regardless, I'm not giving up on JCDV.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/16 7:17 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

Don't give up! You can do it!

vwcorvette
8/26/16 7:54 p.m.

So it appears I have 305 injectors and the chip is for a 305. Should have been more careful about the vehicle I pulled the parts from. Back to the salvage yard tomorrow. May still need a chip or reprogram if the vacuum is too low with the right chip and injectors installed.

vwcorvette
9/22/16 8:16 p.m.

JCDV is running well. Pulls strong so long as I baby the throttle. It will backfire through the throttle body if I goose it at part load. Got a nice bang out of it from a standing start too. Think I may have lost some leg hair on that one.
Pretty sure the cam is just a bit too much for the stock ecu. New chip or programming in the future. I can also recoup some money by removing the parts I installed while chasing the running issue caused by the incorrect chip and ESC.
Fixed the rear ABS harnesses and that took care of the idiot light. Yeah for small victories.
Hope to take advantage of the extra dollar in the budget next year!

vwcorvette
11/8/16 7:27 p.m.

Mild update. Jean Clyde is now inspected, insured, and registered. It's not perfect but getting there. Unless I find a good parts van/car to recoup some costs however it won't be Challenge eligible. DON'T care. I love this thing and will bring it next year even if nothing more than to spectate. Working to install Recaros in it now. Have to make adapter plates. Suggestions for a steering wheel?

vwcorvette
4/27/17 8:33 p.m.

New seats. Very comfy.

vwcorvette
4/27/17 8:36 p.m.

Also thinking of going to carb. I have one. It's original to this engine. Would save me from having to find or program a chip to allow the tbi computer to deal with the cam.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/28/17 9:19 a.m.

This will so rock.....not sure of your cam specs, but Harris perf (tbichips.com) recommends no more than a 110-112 lobe sep angle when running TBI. great seats, have a pair in my '91 ext cab

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
4/28/17 8:36 p.m.

Nice pick on the VW recaros. They're really comfortable. Looks like the've been modified for anti-sub straps?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
4/28/17 11:52 p.m.

When TBI was still part of program on the Bravada, I was considering going megasquirt and HEI. Since it seems to me that the limiting factor on running a bigger cam on an TBI setup is the ECU. I've still got the TBI parts so I may still try that later.

vwcorvette
4/29/17 5:23 p.m.

I've been in touch with Harris. He recommends his stage 2 level 4 chip due to the cam. My concern is spending the $200 on the chip and it not being 100% fix. My problem was choosing the cam for carb then deciding to stay tbi. And I still have the carb from this engine. Edelbrock 600.

Seats were adapted for sub belts. Only used them in my old scirocco a few times. Lower cushions were also shaved one inch to get lower in the car.

vwcorvette
8/18/17 9:13 p.m.

Carb in and the assorted lines, AFPR, HEI distributor, etc done. Started on the first turn of the key. Like, bam, running. Smooth idle too. Just picked up a longer accelerator cable from a G20 and a replacement TV cable with the correct end to mount to carb. Hopefully have that done tomorrow. Will take video. Maybe smoke a tire as proof of concept. Really excited to see this roll down the road. Still need to have the driveshaft checked for a vibration. Then I can start outfitting it for life as a track support/living space tow vehicle.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/18/17 9:17 p.m.

Make sure you have the tv linkage geometry correct before you go tpo far. The edelbrock requires an adaptor.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/17 9:33 p.m.

What he said ^^^ you'll kill a 700r4 in a very short distance without the correct geometry.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
8/19/17 12:39 p.m.

I'm real happy to see progress again on Jean Clyde.

Is a challenge run in his future still?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
koVv3Y3vuj1lLpxwen7V1H2OkHYAxJJMppiHrV3jjG6RtMmWJinZtbdgvsskFyiO