1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/17 7:41 p.m.

I've watched every video, read every comment, and poured over every diagram related to TV cable setting. If I get it wrong I don't deserve this vehicle. Now, if the trans is bad however, it's because I didn't do any of this previously when I first put the engine in.

Not sure about making to Challenge this year. May not be able to get enough time off from teaching.

vwcorvette
8/31/17 8:58 p.m.

Helped a friend pull engine and trans from a 92 full size chevy. Scored a perfect radiator. Pulled the fan and old rad (half as thick and smaller in all dimensions) from JCDV. Only a little modding needed to fit. Installed a set of Spal fans left over from Vette and universal fan switch that uses a sensor probe in the fins. If weather holds I'll wire it up this Saturday. Should take car of the running hot problem. No pics.

vwcorvette
9/2/17 4:11 p.m.

https://youtu.be/IK_9AiETGA4
https://youtu.be/IK_9AiETGA4
How do I embed?

vwcorvette
9/10/17 7:49 p.m.

So I thought I had it figured out but had a couple problems this week. First, it launched the alternator and power steering belt. Turns out the small bracket I made was cutting into the belt. New belt and adjuster redesign and all is good. 

Other problem was a lack of power/sluggishness. Perhaps I should set the ignition timing properly? Bingo. Pulls 34 degrees at 3000 rpm now. Excellent. Moves out rather nicely now. Very happy. Let's see how it starts cold.

Need to find a hitch, remove the check engine light bulb, get better tires. That last one depends on getting spacer adapters (5 on 5 to 5 on 4.75) to fit the Vette rims (17x8.5) or use the diamond racing rims (15x7). 

vwcorvette
9/18/17 2:16 p.m.

Just a little something I picked up at the swap meet today. Got a Grant wheel too. But that needs some clean up . 

vwcorvette
9/18/17 2:24 p.m.

Been driving on and off for a week. Goes about its business pretty well. Trans shifts smoothly. Not neck-snappingly quick, just pulls and pulls. Doesn't feel like it down shifts when I stomp on it however. Need to get a tach so I can watch the rpms. Could the rear gears be why it doesn't accelerate as briskly as I thought it might?

vwcorvette
4/23/18 8:07 p.m.

With the warmer weather I was able to look into the driveability problem I had last summer.  I suspected I wasn't getting full throttle. I had really only paid attention to the carb end of the cable. Turns out there was at least an inch of slack at the pedal end. Redid the bracketry on the carb to lose the slack at the pedal attachment. Bam. It accelerates like a v8 now.  Up and downshifts well too. 

Ordered adapters to put the Vette Sawblades on as they were on sale. 

Still need to get the driveshaft balanced, drop the rear (axle flip), and a proper alignment. Got a different steering wheel to install but it needs cleaning and paint. Needs a hitch and trailer wiring. Window tint.  And some classic Hella's for the front bumper. I can almost see the finish line. 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/24/18 10:40 a.m.

Nice work. I love it when you can actually fix an issue. It feels so good.

Are you still within Challenge budget? Because I'm bringing the APV GTP race van back down to the $2018 Challenge. We could have our own Soccer Mom Challenge sequel competition. laugh

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/24/18 11:08 a.m.

Soccer Mom reunion, wagon sub-class, so many long roofs! I can't wait!

vwcorvette
4/24/18 10:16 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

Have to check  budget. I'm all over the place with purchases  and going back and forth between  carb and tbi. Been doing a poor job of keeping track of receipts. And I really could use an lsd.

vwcorvette
4/29/18 8:03 p.m.

Driveshaft at the shop getting balanced. Should have it back this week. 

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
4/29/18 8:33 p.m.

Glad to see this build get resurrected. Sweet getting the V8 to actually feel V8ey.

I'd sure like to see this at the challenge.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/30/18 8:53 a.m.

Yeah, glad to hear you're finally feeling the V8 payoff!

vwcorvette
5/5/18 8:20 a.m.

Ordered wheel adapters. They arrived. Mislabeled and out of stock on correct ones!  Find new supplier.

Driveshaft out for balancing. Over a week goes by with no response. Call shop. "Our tool is down and the repair part is stuck in customs. Maybe Monday?"

Argh. I should so be driving this right now.

vwcorvette
5/12/18 9:49 p.m.

No pic update. 

Driveshaft back in. Still healthy vibration.  Perhaps the solidly mounted engine is the issue?  Picked up some stock motor mounts as they were $12 each. 

Fixed dim headlight problem.  Bad connection at plug on bulbs. May need to replace plug if problem returns. 

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
5/13/18 6:18 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Hope the mounts solve the problem so you can put some good miles on this before the challenge.

vwcorvette
5/13/18 8:04 p.m.

It's definitely the mounts. Driver side is crushed and sitting on metal. Problem is I got the wrong mounts. (Insert Red Foreman Dumbass meme) 

Tightened up the loose passenger front wheel bearing. 

Running well. Gotta get some tires on this thing. Waiting on money! 

vwcorvette
5/16/18 7:53 p.m.

Hmm... That's not quite right. And whose idea was it through Bolt and not use captive nuts inside the frame?  berkeleying morons. Still have passenger side to do but my shoulders are killing me. 

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
5/16/18 8:10 p.m.

vwcorvette
5/16/18 8:15 p.m.
Bill Mesker said:

OMG,  I nearly fell off the couch! 

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
5/16/18 8:36 p.m.

You asked, I delivered! laugh

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/18 6:56 a.m.

I had the same bolt problem with my 95 Roadmaster LT1. You can't hardly access the nut inside the K-member unless you remove the LCA, and even then the angle is terrible. Way to go GM.

vwcorvette
5/17/18 8:25 p.m.

Done.  What a butch that was. My arms and shoulders are killing me. And now the test drive. Smoother at idle,  but damn if there isn't still a vibration on decel at 50 mph. Van is deceptively fast though. Could use some 3.73s though. 

vwcorvette
5/19/18 9:49 p.m.

Would pinion shaft bearings produce a vibration when lifting or coasting at about 50-55?

vwcorvette
6/3/18 7:28 p.m.

Take these. 

Add four of these. 

You get this. Needs lower. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MojJISh5WbNZOEsMbH4WooyrGWHKpHzxuum81EV8w0RcDpErxhtIoN0x2m4cA0TO