1 ... 8 9 10 11
Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
9/16/22 1:07 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Well, in order to add the a/c I depowered my steering rack, because I had the Miata p/s pump in the stock a/c compressor location. Now I don't like the steering feel, so I'm adding a Volvo electric p/s pump. I'm planning to put in a switch so that I can turn it off if I want.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/22 3:24 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

I will look forward to details of your Volvo EPS pump install. I am considering one for MonZora, as I don't like the idea of putting manual steering input torque through an aluminum I-shaft.

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/16/22 3:34 p.m.

I don't know how I never found this thread before, but I love it!

This is giving me ideas, even though I don't have time, money or space for another project.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
9/16/22 4:03 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Sofa King :

I will look forward to details of your Volvo EPS pump install. I am considering one for MonZora, as I don't like the idea of putting manual steering input torque through an aluminum I-shaft.

Also following for future proofing!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
9/16/22 10:43 p.m.

I'm pretty curious myself! I'll be sure to let you know how it works. I also considered trying the pump from a Mazda 3 as they are easier to find, but I couldn't find anyone who seemed to have made one work.

dave215
dave215 New Reader
9/17/22 6:57 a.m.

Just fyi -I used a mini cooper pump in my Porsche  ls conversion .It has been flawless for 3 years - easy to obtain and rebuild if ever needed .The Volvo pump is not .

dave215
dave215 New Reader
9/17/22 7:35 a.m.

Not a great picture - the other advantage of the mini pump is the tank can be remote mounted .Helps with placement .It might just be bad luck but I went thru an MR 2 pump and  2 volvo pumps before this .The MR2 flat failed and the Volvo pumps developed excessive noise .

dave215
dave215 New Reader
9/17/22 7:38 a.m.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
9/17/22 12:49 p.m.

In reply to dave215 :

Good to know! I already have 2 Volvo pumps, so I'll give them a try, but I'll keep the Mini in mind just in case!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
9/21/22 2:09 p.m.

A/C blows cold!! After fixing 2 leaks that were my fault, it turned out to be a defective fitting that wasn't my fault! Waisted some R134, but it's all good now!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
10/2/22 6:54 p.m.

Volvo pump is installed! Just need to organize the hoses and wires and fill with fluid. 

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
10/2/22 6:58 p.m.

I pressure test the AC with shop air before introducing refrigerant.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
10/2/22 7:07 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

It held a vacuum overnight, so I thought I was good. Ya live and learn!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/2/22 7:27 p.m.
dave215 said:

I have done a volvo pump and it works well.

I wired the volvo pump so that it did not start while the starter was engaged. It does have a delay of about 5 seconds, but this guaranties that the battery is not overloaded.

I did not use the mini pump because it fired as soon as it saw power. No way to control and no internet explanation or adoption.

I did not use the Mazda pump because there is no wiring info or tips to work around the Can bus requirement.

I am still thinking of PS on the Molvo, but it will be either the Volvo pump because I know how easy it is, or I will go for electric motor under the dash.

dave215
dave215 New Reader
10/2/22 7:44 p.m.

don't know what mini pump you used but mine has 7 second delay from ignition on to run .

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
10/2/22 7:54 p.m.

The Volvo pump has about a 3 second delay, but I do have it on a switch on the dash to allow me to turn it off if I want. For what it's worth, the Volvo pump says FoMoCo on it! I was wondering how similar it is to the one used in a Focus.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
10/2/22 8:00 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I wasn't trying to correct you, I just missed where you said the Volvo pump has a delay!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
10/3/22 2:57 p.m.

I'm scratching my head today!! Took it out to test the P/S , brought it in to top off the fluid, and after topping it off it wouldn't stay running. Starts runs for 5-10 seconds and shuts off. Won't restart immediately, but if I wait 20 seconds or so, it will start and run for 5-10 and cut off. It did this when I first built it and it turned out to be a ground. Checked that ground and it didn't help. The second time this happened , I walked away from it for 2 days and it fixed itself! I jumped the fuel pump relay to see if it was shutting off the fuel. It started but did the same thing, pimp ran the whole time. I'm at a loss for things to check!!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/3/22 3:18 p.m.

Are you getting power to the pump the whole time, even when it shuts off?

dave215
dave215 New Reader
10/3/22 3:22 p.m.

Might be a clogged fuel filter . Testing fuel pressure at the fuel rail might provide some clues .

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
10/3/22 3:41 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Yes, I jumpered the relay and the pump ran the whole time during and after it shut down. 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
10/3/22 3:44 p.m.

In reply to dave215 :

I need to check that. I have a pressure gauge on the fuel rail, but I need a second set of eyes to see what it does when it's running / cuts off. I thought about the filter , but it did this when everything was new then went away for a year happened again, then went away for 2. I've "fixed" this twice before but really don't know how!

dave215
dave215 New Reader
10/3/22 3:57 p.m.

working alone has it's challenges . Can you run a jumper to the starter solenoid and start from the engine compartment ?

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
10/3/22 4:30 p.m.

I can, but it needs to charge from all the starting attempts I've made. I'll try again tomorrow. Who knows, maybe it will fix itself again!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
10/4/22 3:27 p.m.

Good news and Bad news! Good News ... it fixed itself again! Bad News... I have no idea why! WTF!!!

1 ... 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R6QHT0WeMO6xB0uBFU1gr095mVc2KajsBiTr0KTOKSiD3xWMHR3gImuLnGvU0Bz0