1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/11/21 9:22 a.m.

HAve you compared the new and old clutch disc for height stack up?  Could the center be longer or effectively at a different height?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/21 10:13 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

HAve you compared the new and old clutch disc for height stack up?  Could the center be longer or effectively at a different height?

Unfortunately the old clutch is long gone. 

5/14/21 8:16 a.m.

New release bearing came in:

That's the FAG bearing on the left and the new Sachs one on the right. FAG has a kind of rubberized plastic coating on the face that contacts the pressure plate spring, Sachs is metal. As you can see, the FAG is already a bit chewed up, and I barely drove it. So, either way, that was going to cause me issues down the road, whether or not it's the cause of my current issue.

Honestly, I can't find anything else wrong. I'm tempted to try and put it back together and see if the bearing was the problem. Anything else I should check?

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/21 8:31 a.m.

Your last picture almost looks like the slave cylinder is over extending for some reason. I don't remember if you replaced the master and slave at all. If you did, are they the right diameters?  Is there some kind of clip to prevent over extension of the slave cylinder rod?  Just shooting ideas out since I'm not familiar with that particular setup.

5/14/21 8:54 a.m.
PMRacing said:

Your last picture almost looks like the slave cylinder is over extending for some reason. I don't remember if you replaced the master and slave at all. If you did, are they the right diameters?  Is there some kind of clip to prevent over extension of the slave cylinder rod?  Just shooting ideas out since I'm not familiar with that particular setup.

I did replace the slave. In that pic, the fork isn't touching the rod, it's clipped in to the lower pivot point and just kind of laying on the input shaft. There's nothing that actually clips the fork to the slave cylinder piston. I assume it's the pressure from the pressure plate spring that holds everything in place when the clutch isn't engaged.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/14/21 9:53 a.m.

I assume that the release lever and associated hardware other than the bearing are original with the car and not new with the clutch? If new, are they correct for the 'S'? The base has different part numbers, but I'm not sure how different the parts are.

Have you super-triple-checked the correct installation of parts 3, 11, 12?

5/14/21 12:13 p.m.
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:

I assume that the release lever and associated hardware other than the bearing are original with the car and not new with the clutch? If new, are they correct for the 'S'? The base has different part numbers, but I'm not sure how different the parts are.

Correct, all of that is original. The only new part in that whole assembly is the throwout bearing.

Have you super-triple-checked the correct installation of parts 3, 11, 12?

The first pic was taken the first time I put it in, when the fork wasn't clipped in at all and the engine made noise all the time. The second one was taken after the second time, when the fork WAS clipped in, but I was getting noise only with the clutch disengaged. I have checked it, I will check again and take more pics.

dave215
dave215 New Reader
5/14/21 3:51 p.m.

This is a stretch but ....;.the slave pushrod  fits into a pocket on the clutch throwout arm .Is it possible that the rod was not in the pocket ? 

5/14/21 4:16 p.m.
dave215 said:

This is a stretch but ....;.the slave pushrod  fits into a pocket on the clutch throwout arm .Is it possible that the rod was not in the pocket ? 

Entirely possible. It fits into that pocket, but unlike the piv0t on the other end, there's nothing to keep it there. But I'm still not sure how or if I can do anything about that.

All I can find are exploded views of this assembly. A cross-section of everything together would be more helpful, tbh.

dave215
dave215 New Reader
5/14/21 4:26 p.m.

The slave spring keeps it in the pocket . After the transmission is installed -the slave gets installed and you can feel the pushrod

in the pocket .Takes quite a bit of pressure to seat the slave in the bellhousing  .

5/14/21 9:19 p.m.
dave215 said:

The slave spring keeps it in the pocket . After the transmission is installed -the slave gets installed and you can feel the pushrod

in the pocket .Takes quite a bit of pressure to seat the slave in the bellhousing  .

So, are you saying I should remove the slave from the trans and not install it until the trans is installed? 

dave215
dave215 New Reader
5/15/21 5:26 a.m.

yes .If you do that throwout bearing will align properly and slave pushrod as well .

5/15/21 3:46 p.m.

Further evidence that the throwout bearing was the issue.

Sachs bearing:

FAG bearing:

Tell me that won't affect the stackup in this assembly!

dave215
dave215 New Reader
5/15/21 4:33 p.m.

Maybe .Did it  made  noise with the pedal partially depressed ? If the noise was present only at fully depressed pedal then the increased travel is an issue .The other point is that on the install it is important to do the slave after transmission is in and bolted up .

5/15/21 8:30 p.m.
dave215 said:

Maybe .Did it  made  noise with the pedal partially depressed ? If the noise was present only at fully depressed pedal then the increased travel is an issue .The other point is that on the install it is important to do the slave after transmission is in and bolted up .

The noise was present when my foot was OFF the pedal, it went away when the pedal was depressed.

Will do on the slave installation.

5/16/21 4:00 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Unfortunately the old clutch is long gone. 

Wrong again! I found it under a pile of stuff on my workbench today. I really need to clean more often.

So, here's the comparison:

It's not easy to read, but the part numbers are exactly the same.

Height comparison. This is just the pressure plates, because of course the discs will be different, one has more material. The new one:

The old one:

Clearly the old one is lower, but isn't that to be expected, too? The spring on the old one has 21 years and 108k miles of wear on it.

As for the clutch fork, these are all the parts that I have for it:

Assembled:

And I did remove the slave cylinder. Anything else I should check before re-assembling?

dave215
dave215 New Reader
5/16/21 4:18 p.m.

I think you are good to go . 

6/2/21 7:30 a.m.

Back together, noise is still there. I give up, I'm taking it in. It costs what it costs, I just need this car back on the road.

dave215
dave215 New Reader
6/2/21 4:39 p.m.

Is the sound the same as the video you previously posted ? I  am not familiar with the pelican bearing kit but that sound could also be the ims bearing rubbing 

6/2/21 8:35 p.m.
dave215 said:

Is the sound the same as the video you previously posted ? I  am not familiar with the pelican bearing kit but that sound could also be the ims bearing rubbing 

It only happens when the clutch is out, so I don't know how it could be the IMS. But, we'll see. It goes to the shop tomorrow.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/4/21 9:49 a.m.

FFS, damn you've had more than your fair share of issues.  Good luck and let's hope it's not the IMS.  What shop are you taking it too?  Anywhere with knowledge of Porkers?

6/4/21 9:52 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

FFS, damn you've had more than your fair share of issues.  Good luck and let's hope it's not the IMS.  What shop are you taking it too?  Anywhere with knowledge of Porkers?

No, just a local all-makes transmission shop, but they've done good work for me before and have an excellent reputation locally.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/21 3:22 p.m.

Any updates on this? Seeing some Boxster threads pop up had me thinking of this. Hopefully some good news.

6/15/21 8:05 p.m.

Still waiting to hear back from the shop. Like a lot of places these days, they are short-handed.

6/16/21 9:00 a.m.

Shop just called me. No problems with the clutch/flywheel, any of that. The problem is in the transmission itself. They put the trans on the bench and turn it, and you can still hear the noise.  So, they are going to re-assemble it as little as possible to get it rolling, and I'll pick it up.

So, I have a bad transmission. How that happened when it was 100% fine last fall and all I did was change the clutch and IMS is a mystery to me. I guess my options are to find a place to have it rebuilt, or try and find a used one. 

FML. angry

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tj0PrcueOix729LnKvP1YSxJ7ARhlYAoOhekdPbV45iAhKdFQW4dDUWaqevzHNlV