1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
java230
java230 SuperDork
3/29/17 10:35 a.m.

So much awesome!! There is a Thiokol on a trailer up the highway from me.... I drool every time.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
3/29/17 6:24 p.m.

So cool! I've started noticing snow cats myself now too...

I love hearing about the good vibes and camaraderie, I can totally see that happening. I wish the Overland world was a little smaller and less opinionated on brands like that. Getting out and enjoying the world is the important part.

mountainben
mountainben New Reader
7/22/17 1:23 p.m.

I recently brought my Kt-3 home. I returned to this site and now all of the process photos have been replaced with a request to update account to allow 3rd party hosting. from photobucket.com. Sure would like to access the photos for reference during my rebuild process. Any ideas?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/22/17 2:53 p.m.

In reply to mountainben:

Right click, "Open image in new tab".

mountainben
mountainben New Reader
7/23/17 11:41 a.m.

broken yugo, thanks for trying to help. Apparently your yugo isn't the only thing that's broken. Photobucket has decided to charge $399 a year for a formerly free subscription, effectively taking hostage anyones photos not backed up elsewhere. Hope thats not the case here.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

Ben

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/3/19 10:41 a.m.

although it has been quite awhile, this project is still ongoing.  didn't take it out much last year with the lack of snow but she still runs strong.  headed to the exhaust shop next week to cure the broken stack.  then I need to replace the dead tachometer, change some fluids and drag her up vail pass for the third annual colorado snowcat jamboree next month.  I look forward to this event every year and I cant wait to fly the kristi flag for a third year in a row.  

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/3/19 2:48 p.m.

Great thread and build.  Never knew VW powered this kind of vehicle.  Love it.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
2/3/19 7:34 p.m.

Yes!  I forgot this was a grm thread.  I actually thought about this thing within the last week or so after seeing a tracked vehicle in the background of a CL ad.  

Looks like I'll be at copper the week before the jamboree, hoping to be able to stop by on Friday if it all works out, these things are so cool!

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/3/19 9:05 p.m.

I saw one mentioned on BAT a few weeks ago and wondered if it was yours, but apparently not!

https://bringatrailer.com/2019/01/10/100-grade-climber-rare-kristi-kt3-snowcat/

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/4/19 11:08 a.m.

Yes! more updates!! I still CL search for these from time to time

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
2/4/19 12:35 p.m.

My neighbor has a tracked snow conveyance of some sort in his driveway.  It looks a little bigger with a small cab and maybe a bed on it.  One of these days I'll stop and ask him about it.

de80q
de80q Reader
2/4/19 12:37 p.m.

no to see this is still around!  Has to be a blast to drive up the mountain in!  What ever happened to the 4kq?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/4/19 5:17 p.m.
java230 said:

Yes! more updates!! I still CL search for these from time to time

I've been searching semi regularly but without serious intent, yet.  There's a really nice Thiokol Imp for sale at the moment.  

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/5/19 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

I love Imp's but they are so much bigger and heavier.... Harder to tow.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/5/19 10:52 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

My curiosity got the best of me.... The Imp name made me google, because I drove Sunbeam Imps for 9 years. So Thiokol Imps have Ford 104 cid V4 engines...That is Saab Sonett V4, and I had them for a while too!

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/5/19 11:11 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Yeah they are weird parts bin machines. Tractor rear ends in the front with steering brakes. Neat though,

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/9/19 10:30 a.m.
de80q said:

no to see this is still around!  Has to be a blast to drive up the mountain in!  What ever happened to the 4kq?

still have the quattro.  stacking miles on it the last 2 years for work and it has treated me well.  im about to pull the trigger on a new dialynx turbo manifold since both of mine are cracked with a lovely exhaust tick wherever I go.  otherwise not much has changed with it.  still running strong, embarrassing anyone that try's to leave me at the light laugh

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/9/19 10:39 a.m.

since i started working on this cat I have always felt it needed an emblem on the back.  at first i planned on buying the cheapo parts store lettering but finally came to my senses and drew up a true kristi script KT-3 badge on some scrap aluminium.  then a few hours with a drill, cut-off wheel, a selection of hand files and i finally have something that fits my vision.  very happy with how they turned out and im glad i didn't go the lazy route as this fits the era of the machine much better.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/9/19 11:09 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:

Yes!  I forgot this was a grm thread.  I actually thought about this thing within the last week or so after seeing a tracked vehicle in the background of a CL ad.  

Looks like I'll be at copper the week before the jamboree, hoping to be able to stop by on Friday if it all works out, these things are so cool!

you should absolutely stop by if you can.  i will only be there sat-sun this year but the variety of new and old cats is truely something to behold and would definitely be appreciated by any legitimate GRM'r

the third annual colorado snowcat jamboree will be at vail pass/camp hale march 8th-9th and at Montezuma bowl (past keystone near a-basin) march 10th

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/16/19 9:15 a.m.

trying to step up my game despite the constant battle of budget.  i finally bought a spare for the trailer. 

and after the bargain bosch tachometer lived such a short life i decided to splurge a little on something that should look right at home with the original stewart warner gauges.  i just hope it lasts more than a few trips out.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/26/19 7:25 a.m.

yesterday i managed to save the heat shields off the original exhaust.  once the muffler shop is finished ill weld these back on for a factory look with brand new pipe.  then this summer i'll have to make a trip up to wyoming for some ceramic coating.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/27/19 9:24 a.m.

a friend and fellow kristi owner named Ken came out to colorado last year and gave me a Holley 2100 "bugspray" carb and a a couple different 2 barrel, single port manifolds.  i liked the way this one looked and since i have no use for heat risers on this machine i chopped off the rusted out heat riser tube. 

disclaimer: after logging many hours in all kinds of weather conditions i will tell you the kristi engine bay gets hotter than you can imagine.  not once have i had an issue with frosty or even cold to the touch manifold/carb.  in fact, the ski-action lever that comes thru the firewall gets so hot you literally cant operate it without a glove on,  and that's in the passenger cabin right next to an open all the time driver side window! perhaps if i lived in alaska or anywhere far north i might have a use for them. its also worth noting that no factory kristi exhaust had provisions for heat risers and they chopped all the intake manifolds at the factory. 

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/4/19 8:04 a.m.

cat is coming home from the exhaust shop today. its always weird for me to sub out work on a vehicle.  need a tubing bender.  

finished blasting these last night.  had to buy a fresh box of media and did some quick fixes on my blast cabinet to speed things up.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/5/19 10:42 a.m.

I really cant say enough good things about Jim at A-1 muffler. the past 17 years he has always treated me right, takes on any challenge and never charges to much. this time he exceeded all my expectations and then some.  what an awesome job for an amazing price. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
3/5/19 10:48 a.m.

Oh man, that left rear must have been tough to do!

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k5fKmALnam2FJKduhIVlK6ygcJTY8mCKSCOKFFNCf9TW24l7DBJQYjgbBGntVfep