1 2 3 4 ... 22
2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/11/15 8:59 a.m.

I stand corrected. there are flats inside just like Kenny_McCormic said. doubt I have that size socket though. I guess I'm off to harbor freight. probly wont get much done on it today other than letting the ATF seep in. but that will give me time to finally set up the barometric correction table on the Audi. updates on both threads to come!

java230
java230 Reader
12/11/15 9:38 a.m.

The scale tank guys have some good threads on building tracks.

And there is a '76 Tucker for sale near me....

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
12/11/15 9:49 a.m.

Reminds me of the vehicles that the ice fishing outfitters use to get us out to the huts on Lake Simcoe

java230
java230 Reader
12/11/15 10:36 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Those old Bombardier's are cool. Aslo VW aircooled powered IIRC

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/13/15 4:46 p.m.

Sad update today. I had well over 250ft lbs on the crank bolt after 2 days of soaking with ATF and the engine will not turn. The bolt tightened up but no movement on the crank. Looks like the original 1300 will need to come out and be rebuilt. No problem with that, air cooled engines are relatively cheap to rebuild. I just hope I don't have to pull the trans. It's tight in there.

Good news is I received the track dimensions and the maintenance manuals today and the Kristi dvd's are in the mail.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
12/13/15 5:34 p.m.

Awesome project. I like the bronco too.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
12/13/15 5:49 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb: thanks man. I grew up in that bronco and it's been in the family since it was ordered brand new. I'm sure it will find its way onto these forums in time.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
12/13/15 6:01 p.m.

Put some acetone with the atf and let it sit a little longer.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
12/13/15 6:32 p.m.

Try filling the cylinders with diesel and walking away from it for a few days. Try rocking the crank back and forth, don't just crank it one way. Also drain the oil and see if any water got in it.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/13/15 6:48 p.m.

Tomorrow my first plan is to get it in the garage, out of the freezing temps. I will get a nice cocktail of chemicals mixed up and in the cylinders at the same time. It ran quite well before and only has 439 hours on it total. It would be nice to avoid a rebuild if possible.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
12/13/15 7:38 p.m.

I can tell you that your picture is NOT from Lake Simcoe.

I am sure you just googled it but the Waltonian Inn is about 30 minutes from my house on Lake Nipissing's South Shore.

NOHOME wrote: Reminds me of the vehicles that the ice fishing outfitters use to get us out to the huts on Lake Simcoe
XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/13/15 7:45 p.m.

So this is an AC VW powered, front engine snow cat? Awesome.

I love that I can come to GRM and learn about some other cool vehicle I never knew existed.

westypoo
westypoo New Reader
12/14/15 6:32 p.m.

its about time you got this Kristi going. longest thing in your drive way thats sat not running. i cant wait to get back into town and help out on this.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
12/14/15 7:13 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Is there any way to get a pry bar/ leverage on the fly wheel? Does it have a hot battery and good starter? Be careful turning the starter to aggressively it could bust a rusted ring and score a cylinder

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
12/14/15 7:24 p.m.

FYI< I know that the porsche have huge problems if you crank them the wrong way not sure on the vw's.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
12/14/15 8:30 p.m.

When I was trying to get the motor in my Yugo unstuck, I was able to temporarily modify a Harbor Freight compression tester to put about 120psi of compressed air into each cylinder on top of the ATF/Acetone mixture. I really think it would have worked if the head had not been junk. You would obviously have to get the "top end" sealed up by pulling the rockers or pushrods or whatever black magic an ACVW uses to open the valves. Might be worth a shot.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
12/14/15 8:40 p.m.

If you want to go really wild, you could hack up an old spark plug for a grease zerk, put a few thousand PSI to it with a grease gun, or do a similar thing with a porta power pump. It will either move or break something that way.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

Not sure why, (in the flat 4 world) aside from some of the Porsche engines with pressed together roller cranks (quad cam only?), and that's a don't crank on it in either direction deal. Newer engines with timing belts and chains are a different story.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/14/15 9:52 p.m.

Well some good news. I got it in the garage about noon today. Few hours later, sprayed a little 3in1 garage door lube inside and got a small amount of movement out of it. Maybe 60 degrees total going back and fourth. Then I tried to go counter clockwise a little further and it locked up again I'm trying very hard to exercise a higher level of patience than normal so I decided to stop, mixed some of that oil spray in with my pump can of ATF, put a little in each cylinder and walked away again. It's still not even that warm yet so I think I'll leave it for a few days. We'll see how long I can keep myself from touching it.

java230
java230 Reader
12/14/15 10:20 p.m.

Patience will be your friend!

(and the devil! )

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
12/15/15 6:05 a.m.
NGTD wrote: I can tell you that your picture is NOT from Lake Simcoe. I am sure you just googled it but the Waltonian Inn is about 30 minutes from my house on Lake Nipissing's South Shore.
NOHOME wrote: Reminds me of the vehicles that the ice fishing outfitters use to get us out to the huts on Lake Simcoe

Right you are. The Waltonian is about the only ice fishing trip that I could get the wife to go along on.

And these are not VW powered. Dodge 4 bangers if I recall, and they are so old that I suspect a lot have been swapped.

The way this winter has been going, any fishing is going to involve a boat.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/15/15 8:51 a.m.

Pretty sure the engine we pulled out of my buddy's 73 Super Beetle in favor of a rotary is for sale. I don't think it's original - looks more like a VW Bus setup. Likely very cheap.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
12/15/15 9:59 a.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: I think I'll leave it for a few days. We'll see how long I can keep myself from touching it.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
12/15/15 10:07 a.m.

Soo...looks like it is front wheel drive?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/15/15 10:36 a.m.

Wow, transverse front engine aircooled VW. Very cool project!

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/15 10:47 a.m.

Conveyor belt is very easy to cut. Sharp utility knife is all you need. For guides look at over the tire bobcat tracks. Or make your own. The early ones where just lengths of flatbar bent to the tire profile.

1 2 3 4 ... 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sTBUX2j70SU8Ji5lVZIRAmqh6MAWJobR09SVtpysE3JGKiBk3HWJ4UlzOZhndr5S